Fans have to start taking Nix at his word

Estro

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, so far Nix has blown very little smoke the last 2 years when it's come to discussing the Bills draft plans. Until that changes I'm going to take what Nix says in these candid interviews as his "true" feelings/thoughts. And the most candid of those interviews came early last week when he was interviewed by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Sirius NFL Radio. Buddy was actually so transparent in the interview that Kirwan had to say "Alright Buddy don't tell us the actual names of the guys you're talking about" while Buddy was discussing the OT talent in the draft pool.

So let's take a look at what Buddy Nix said, because to me it told a lot.

Buddy's Quote

"We think there are 2 "maybe" 3 tackles in this draft that can come in and play right away"

Translation

There is definitely 2, possibly 3 OT's in this years draft that have the talent to be the #10 pick.

Buddy's Quote

"We also think there are some OT's that can be had later that can probably be starters a year or 2 down the line.

Translation

There are some guys we have our eyes on a little later in the draft.(Andrew Datko, from FSU perhaps)

Buddy's Quote

"We view some of the these offensive lineman different than the rest of you guys do"

Translation

We think Cordy Glenn is a starting LT in the NFL, not just a G as some of the draft pundits have stated.

We don't think Reiff is a starting LT in this league. With his short arms and lack of athleticism and speed he's a RT.

Couldn't the real translation be any player, even at any position if you want to extend that? For all you know, he could be referring to Adams or Martin and not Glenn? And by not mentioning other spots, you don't know if that hypothetical OT is rated higher than the hypothetical WR, CB or LB at the No. 10 spot.

And after looking at Glenn more, most have him pegged as a guard in the nfl..:

Also Glenn and DeCastro are "safer" picks according to analysts. No question marks in what type of player they'll be. Let's just see how this draft will go 1st then hopefully we celebrate or worst case, question the decision...

My absolute favorite player aside from Kalil because he's realistically not going to be there for the taking,(Kalil that is) is Ingram. If not Ingram I'd go with Floyd... If those two are not who Buddy wants then I go with DeCastro... Though he's not a LT he at least will be a stud guard opposite Levitre... Think about how nasty of a middle it would be to have Levitre wood and decastro... But if all three are gone and Buddy takes Glenn, I won't be mad at all...

Nix is a straight shooter all the way!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.

I could definitely see Nix winning the top shot competition on tv....

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Boy, you read alot into what Buddy said. He said nothing about Reiff, Martin, Adams or Glenn. He said there are 2 or 3 tackles who can start from day 1. I would expect we'll find out who that is on April 26th. I know what you think. If he said they'd like above average arm length and rule out merely average arm length, then I would say Reiff is out ans someone is in, but whom I dunno.

I don't see how Wang relates at all to this. Wang was a total bust like some players in this draft will be. Wang is a more appropriate topic in a Talleywhacker thread.

the thread is about nix stating preference to draft tackles over guards so i looked at the 1st tackle he drafted, who sucks and i'm not sure is still in the nfl. my point is if you really want to take him at his word, he's gonna draft bpa and not tackle over guard. decastro is the highest rated guard in a few years, if he is there i'm sure he's high on the bills draft board regardless of position

After a lot of consideration, (and re-consideration) It's becoming obvious that Cordy Glenn may be the best LT prospect in this draft. He's certainly better than Reiff, baggage or no baggage. I wouldn't be completely disappointed if we took him @ 10. IMHO There could be a problem with him holding at the next level, but I'd expect that to be ironed out in training camp. My personal favorite Tackle prospect is Boise State's Nate Potter. He doesn't possess Glenn's size, but is very instinctive, fearless, and nimble.

I could envision a compromise where we take DeCastro @ 10, and Grab Potter in a later round.

DeCastro IMO is the must-have player (if he's still there) @ 10. Watch this reel: My link Look at how much POP this kid possesses. He absolutely flattens people. An aircraft carrier could take it's time passing through the holes he creates for the run game. As an interior lineman he is both wall and battering-ram. I take Buddy at his word, but I don't pass on DeCastro @ 10. No way.

Edited by #34fan

my point is if you really want to take him at his word, he's gonna draft bpa and not tackle over guard.

No, if you really want to take him at his word you will listen to exactly what he said, instead of whatever you make up in your mind. :wallbash: Where do people keep getting this BPA garbage? Is it from Spiller?

Also, astute front offices don't draft guards high in the first round (regardless of how well Kiper grades him or what he looks like on Youtube).

Dunno why I'm particularly surly today, but reading the students, plumbers and lawyers assessments on this site borders on the ridiculous.

Picked the wrong week to cut down on sugar.

I like the post a lot, and have been using those same Buddy quotes all over -- but all it really means is that we could draft a LT in round one, two or three, because Buddy thinks there are a few very good guys and a few pretty good guys.

Which means that it's as fruitful as reading tea leaves?

And after looking at Glenn more, most have him pegged as a guard in the nfl..:

That's the point that was made. Nix' exact quote was that they see some of the offensive lineman differently than the rest of the league. Most of the pundits have Glenn listed as a G. I've read many scouts think Glenn can stay at LT. Hence (perhaps) the Bills seeing things differently than what you may read.

So let's take a look at what Buddy Nix said, because to me it told a lot.

I agree with you.

Glenn's ability to play 3-4 spots on the OL is a big plus. His 50 starts against quality opponents is just the kind of resume Buddy looks for...

That's the point that was made. Nix' exact quote was that they see some of the offensive lineman differently than the rest of the league. Most of the pundits have Glenn listed as a G. I've read many scouts think Glenn can stay at LT. Hence (perhaps) the Bills seeing things differently than what you may read.

Maybe Nix is referring to the 'experts' calling Riley Reiff a RT. And no offense at all, but I don't think any of us read scouts' reports. We generally read media folks who speak to scouts and watch youtube. I have to believe there is a difference. If there's not, there would be no scouts and Mel Kiper (McShay, Nawrocki, Mayock) would be a GOD. It's all just entertaining chatter.

the thread is about nix stating preference to draft tackles over guards so i looked at the 1st tackle he drafted, who sucks and i'm not sure is still in the nfl. my point is if you really want to take him at his word, he's gonna draft bpa and not tackle over guard. decastro is the highest rated guard in a few years, if he is there i'm sure he's high on the bills draft board regardless of position

And my point is this (please listen from 18:22 - 18:57):

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Buddy-Nix-State-of-the-Team-Press-Conference/6e644145-3f98-4fb1-8906-fe9e6039c4df

And listen to Buddy's exact words. "It's easier to move a tackle to guard than it is guard to tackle, obviously. So we think we draft tackles, we're pretty good at guard and center"

The whole point of this thread was to point out that Buddy's been a straight shooter ever since becoming the GM. If some fans want to continue to believe that Nix is going to take David DeCastro because he's the best guard since "Steve Hutchinson" than their entitled to that belief. Personally, I'm going to listen to the words coming straight out of the GM's mouth. And remember DeCastro, just like ever other prospect, hasn't played a down in the NFL.....so any comparison to a multiple time All-Pro like Hutchinson are beyond premature.

Edited by Estro

No, if you really want to take him at his word you will listen to exactly what he said, instead of whatever you make up in your mind. :wallbash: Where do people keep getting this BPA garbage? Is it from Spiller?

Also, astute front offices don't draft guards high in the first round (regardless of how well Kiper grades him or what he looks like on Youtube).

well i guess ppl got it (bpa) from buddy nix when he said it... multiple times. i'm sure you read buffalobills.com and watch the videos, go take a look and read/watch for yourself. weird, thought you were acting informed.

and then by your rationale on astute front offices not drafting guards, how can we be fans of say andrew luck since we're only going on expert analyses??

And my point is this (please listen from 18:22 - 18:57):

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Buddy-Nix-State-of-the-Team-Press-Conference/6e644145-3f98-4fb1-8906-fe9e6039c4df

And listen to Buddy's exact words. "It's easier to move a tackle to guard than it is guard to tackle, obviously. So we think we draft tackles, we're pretty good at guard and center"

The whole point of this thread was to point out that Buddy's been a straight shooter ever since becoming the GM. If some fans want to continue to believe that Nix is going to take David DeCastro because he's the best guard since "Steve Hutchinson" than their entitled to that belief. Personally, I'm going to listen to the words coming straight out of the GM's mouth. And remember DeCastro, just like ever other prospect, hasn't played a down in the NFL.....so any comparison to a multiple time All-Pro like Hutchinson are beyond premature.

my response to the distinguished gentleman from south is the same to you then - how can we be fans of say andrew luck since we're only going on expert analyses?? you may as well not talk about anyone until next season starts by that logic.