How Does Playing Surface at RWS Rank Now?

ChasBB

In Feb, 2011, the NFLPA released playing surface ratings which had the old turf at RWS rated dead-last for artificial surfaces in the NFL. I've been trying to locate a similar rating for 2012, but haven't been able to locate the survey. I'd be curious to know what the latest ranking is. I'm assuming it is much better, but not sure exactly where it ranks now compared with other artificial surfaces in the NFL. Does anyone know how the A-Turf at RWS has been rated by the players after a year of use? I just haven't seen anything about it. Thanks!

I'm not sure this is something they do every year. There's not such turnover in fields that it really needs to be....

As I recall, it got good reviews from our players, and I don't remember other teams complaining about it. And even if they did, it would probably be due more to the weather's effects than anything, and that can't be changed short of a dome.

Those rating pertain to the 2010 season--before the new turf was installed.

Yes, I know. If you look at my post again, you'll see I was asking if there was a 2012 survey available (for the 2011 season). However, as UConn James points out, he thinks maybe the survey is not conducted every year and that may be why there is not a 2012 survey showing an improved ranking for RWS field.

Edited by ChasBB

I don't know about how the players ACTUALLY liked it, but I remember reading some specs on the new surface and there was some kind of "bounce" measurement that compared very favorably to a natural grass surface.

It sure looked good on TV and in person.

The complaints were about the old RWS field. The one installed before last season is getting good reviews.

PTR

he knew that and was asking for a review after last season since the previous one came out in Feb 2011 he was asking if anyone saw this years

Not completely on topic, but I hate artificial turf. I wish the Bills would switch to grass.

Not trying to be a smartass (this time), but what is it that *you* hate about it? You're not playing on it, so is it that you think players don't like it, or that they get hurt more frequently, or that it doesn't look good? Because the new surface the Bills installed before last season (a) looks great; (b) is apparently comparable to natural grass in terms of "bounce" factor (impact on bones/joints), and © there have been no reported player complaints of which I'm aware.

Not trying to be a smartass (this time), but what is it that *you* hate about it? You're not playing on it, so is it that you think players don't like it, or that they get hurt more frequently, or that it doesn't look good? Because the new surface the Bills installed before last season (a) looks great; (b) is apparently comparable to natural grass in terms of "bounce" factor (impact on bones/joints), and © there have been no reported player complaints of which I'm aware.

I actually have played quite a few games of football on artificial turf and I never liked it. I'm no scientist, but it seems to me that it increases injuries. Having this belief of course I wouldn't want my favorite football team to be playing on it. Lastly; I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the trappings of the game. I just think football should be played on grass; well kept, beautiful, green grass.

If a study was done by the NFLPA for 2011 surfaces, i haven't found it yet. Maybe it hasn't been released or perhaps they don't perform the survey every year.

From earlier studies, it seems like players like FieldTurf as far as artificial surfaces go. Buffalo elected to use a local company, A-Turf, when they replaced their surface last year and used a product called A-Turf Titan. If that stuff is comparable to FieldTurf i'm sure it's a big improvement over the old Astroturf.

I actually have played quite a few games of football on artificial turf and I never liked it. I'm no scientist, but it seems to me that it increases injuries. Having this belief of course I wouldn't want my favorite football team to be playing on it. Lastly; I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the trappings of the game. I just think football should be played on grass; well kept, beautiful, green grass.

The crap we played on in high school is nothing like the stuff the pro and upper echelon college teams use. Astroturf was basically concrete covered in green sand paper.

The crap we played on in high school is nothing like the stuff the pro and upper echelon college teams use. Astroturf was basically concrete covered in green sand paper.

I didn't play on artificial turf in high school. It was in college, but not a D 1 school. I'm positive the turf the Bills now have is better than what I played on. That doesn't change my opinion of artificial turf. I don't think it belongs in sports.

As WVU pointed out and as you replied, the new stuff, especially what the pros play on is a far cry from even a brand new high school field.

You probably know that there are several different price points for artificial turf, most of which relate to the thickness of the pad.

I'm doing a job right now at The Menlo School (where Jerry Rice's kids attend) and their ample athletic fields are all artificial… however the color is spot on and the fields look natural and great.

As for grass, it's not really viable for NFL football in Buffalo… and if they still do the Section 16 football championships at the stadium, that would eliminate the Ralph as a venue.

If I recall correctly, after a brief period where some more northerly teams tried going back to natural grass, they then went back to the artificial stuff.

I wish all teams could play on grass but it's just not feasible in many areas… at least not until they figure out a way to nurture it in a protected environment with high intensity grow lights between games.

Until that time I'd rather see the game played on a high-quality artificial surface than on dead grass, mixed with mud, with green paint on top.

Well I stand corrected.

There are still some northerly teams which play on grass but still, many of the surfaces get really bad by the time December rolls around.

Kansas City, Denver (although this is a "high desert" climate), Cleveland, Green Bay, and Chicago all still have grass fields.

Pittsburgh is a climate zoner warmer than us and they also have a grass field.

Here are all the NFL stadiums with their information including playing surfaces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

As far as the original topic, I thought that the survey of playing surfaces was done annually by the NFLPA.

Fine, I respect your opinion. It is funny when people equate natural grass with being a "purist" though. I hope everyone realizes the only reason football (and every other outdoor sport on earth) started on grass is because nothing else had been invented yet. It's called innovation. I guess no improvements should have been made to the ball, helmets, pads, shoes, or anything else, since they've taken away the "purity" of the game.