Sabres jump 11 spots in ESPN power rankings

Buftex

and yet they're still in 9th

I don't think I have been as excited about a regular season hockey game, as I am the game tomorrow night, in a long, long time....a pity it is not on NBC Sports. They are showing Tampa Bay and Boston! In fact, tonight they are showing Tampa Bay @Philly...so, back to back Lightening games.

Edited by Buftex

I don't think I have been as excited about a regular season hockey game, as I am the game tomorrow night, in a long, long time....a pity it is not on NBC Sports. They are showing Tampa Bay and Boston! In fact, tonight they are showing Tampa Bay @Philly...so, back to back Lightening games.

maybe VS? If not wgr on line broadcasts the game, I think they incorporate a slight delay though. In any case you get to hear Rick at home.

maybe VS? If not wgr on line broadcasts the game, I think they incorporate a slight delay though. In any case you get to hear Rick at home.

I know you are not here in the States, but just so you know, VS is now NBC Sports. They are not showing the Sabres/Caps game tomorrow, but the Tampa Bay/Boston game...

It is not a big deal, I have Center Ice package, so I will be able to see it...only downside is, no HD...I actually don't hate the NBC announcers for the most part...I just think it is sad that this is such a huge game, and they are showing a game between a team that is already in the playoffs (Boston) and one that is 9 points out of the final playoff spot in their conference (Tampa Bay) with six games left in the season. Same scenario for tonight, Tampa Bay at Philly.

Maybe they will switch coverage at the last minute (they have done that before IIRC), but why on earth they would want to show Tampa Bay Lightening games on consecutive nights is beyond me. I realize Boston and Philadelphia draw big ratings for them, but, as I recall, Buffalo gives them some of their very best ratings...and Washington likely isn't too shabby either. I know they make these schedules in advance, but you would think they would be a bit more flexible, the final few weeks of the season.

Incidentally, as much as I enjoy hearing the Buffalo broadcast (and I will always choose it over any other given the choice) I kind of like hearing the other guys too...particularly on the national broadcasts. Sometimes, I listen to Rick, Harry (not a huge fan) and Rayzor, and I like it, but I feel like they aren't really giving me any insights to the team...the national guys are often much better about that. Having a fresh set of eyes on the team (particularly when they were really struggling in November, December and early January) can be insightful.

Edited by Buftex

I know you are not here in the States, but just so you know, VS is now NBC Sports. They are not showing the Sabres/Caps game tomorrow, but the Tampa Bay/Boston game...

It is not a big deal, I have Center Ice package, so I will be able to see it...only downside is, no HD...I actually don't hate the NBC announcers for the most part...I just think it is sad that this is such a huge game, and they are showing a game between a team that is already in the playoffs (Boston) and one that is 9 points out of the final playoff spot in their conference (Tampa Bay) with six games left in the season. Same scenario for tonight, Tampa Bay at Philly.

Maybe they will switch coverage at the last minute (they have done that before IIRC), but why on earth they would want to show Tampa Bay Lightening games on consecutive nights is beyond me. I realize Boston and Philadelphia draw big ratings for them, but, as I recall, Buffalo gives them some of their very best ratings...and Washington likely isn't too shabby either. I know they make these schedules in advance, but you would think they would be a bit more flexible, the final few weeks of the season.

Incidentally, as much as I enjoy hearing the Buffalo broadcast (and I will always choose it over any other given the choice) I kind of like hearing the other guys too...particularly on the national broadcasts. Sometimes, I listen to Rick, Harry (not a huge fan) and Rayzor, and I like it, but I feel like they aren't really giving me any insights to the team...the national guys are often much better about that. Having a fresh set of eyes on the team (particularly when they were really struggling in November, December and early January) can be insightful.

I'll see it on Comcast Sports Network. Upside is: HD. Downside is: Craig Laughlin.

Why no HD?

I have Time Warner...most nights, they offer the Sabres feed from MSG, with a pre and post-game, but no HD. They have two seprat HD channels devoted to the Hockey package...I think the Sabres have been on there once all season. I suppose it is possible they could have the Caps/Sabres game tomorrow night, but it would not be the MSG feed. The only time I get to see the Sabres in HD is when they are playing the Dallas Stars (FOX Sports) or in a nationally televised broadcast.

Other downside to the way Time Warner does the seprat HD channels, they don't re-broadcast those games. As I am always an hour behind the eastern time zone broadcasts, and trying to keep the family peace, I watch the re-broadcasts a lot of nights...so the girls can watch their shows...they go to sleep...and I can watch hockey in peace!

HD is just great for all sports, but hockey, in particular, just jumps out at you.

Jeez, the Sabres look damn good right now...hard to believe that this is the same team (albeit healthy) as the one that was playing from about November 1st to January 20th... Miller has been playing out of his mind, but it isn't all that. Defensively, they have made an almost 100% improvement. I don't want to count the proverbial chickens before they are hatched, but this team could be dangerous in the playoffs, should they make it. :thumbsup:

Jeez, the Sabres look damn good right now...hard to believe that this is the same team (albeit healthy) as the one that was playing from about November 1st to January 20th... Miller has been playing out of his mind, but it isn't all that. Defensively, they have made an almost 100% improvement. I don't want to count the proverbial chickens before they are hatched, but this team could be dangerous in the playoffs, should they make it. :thumbsup:

As a native CNY'er and die hard bills fan down in DC (and Caps season ticket holder), I gotta say that you guys beat the crap out of my Caps.

I will say I was shocked at how awful the Sabres fans were. Where our tickets are, we get all of the visitors, and I have to say, knowing that Bills fans are usually Caps fans, they were the worst fans I have seen all year. Rape jokes/homophobic slurs/tossed beers, not cool fellas. Wished that y'all had just stuck to enjoying the game and good natured taunts toward the team.

That said, good win for you guys, and hopefully Ottawa keeps losing.

It's amazing what a little confidence can do. You can see it in so many of these players right now.

I've been saying it for a few weeks: they are peaking at just the right time, and not a team I'd want to face in the first round.

I can't decide of the most amazing turnaround has been Stafford or Erhoff. Probably Erhoff, who was shockingly inept the first half of the season...but that Stafford-Ennis-Foligno line is playing out of their minds.

I've been saying it for a few weeks: they are peaking at just the right time, and not a team I'd want to face in the first round.

I can't decide of the most amazing turnaround has been Stafford or Erhoff. Probably Erhoff, who was shockingly inept the first half of the season...but that Stafford-Ennis-Foligno line is playing out of their minds.

It is a good sign that they came out and played, maybe, one of their most complete games, in a high stakes road game. I will admit, when they lost that roady to Winnipeg a few weeks ago, I started tempering my enthusiasm a bit...glad I was wrong, again!

Erhoff has been great...I think he was erratic during the bad period...some nights, he looked really good, others, awful...such is the was the way for almost all of the Sabres defensemen at that time. Stafford is never going to be great defensively, but really seems to have found his game, paired with Ennis and Foligno.

To me, Tyler Ennis has played a pretty big role in this turn around...I love watching that kid play hockey. I think he could be a superstar in the making...he showed a lot down the stretch, last season too. Mike Foligno is probably my favorite Sabre of all time (behind Gilbert, of course), so if Marcus turns out to be half the player, the Sabres have a lot to look forward to. Just gotta keep it going.

btw- I don't think I was ever as down on the Sabres (ever) as I was in December...even early in this turnaround, they were as lucky as they were good...but the last 10 games or so, they look like an elite hockey team, IMO.

As a native CNY'er and die hard bills fan down in DC (and Caps season ticket holder), I gotta say that you guys beat the crap out of my Caps.

I will say I was shocked at how awful the Sabres fans were. Where our tickets are, we get all of the visitors, and I have to say, knowing that Bills fans are usually Caps fans, they were the worst fans I have seen all year. Rape jokes/homophobic slurs/tossed beers, not cool fellas. Wished that y'all had just stuck to enjoying the game and good natured taunts toward the team.

That said, good win for you guys, and hopefully Ottawa keeps losing.

I wasn't at the game...I will take your word for it...though I am kind of surprised to hear that Sabre fans were that bad...I have only seem Sabres road games in New York, Tampa Bay, Dallas, and Atlanta. Other than the Rangers games, the Sabres fan seem to outnumber, or at least match, the home-town team in numbers...no incidents that I remember. Was this one group of Sabre fans, or a large number?

I went to the Bills/Giants game this past season, in New York. My experience was, most of the Giants fans were pretty cool (always a dick or two in every crowd), but when I came here to report how much I respected Giants fans, and their stadium, it seemed there were a lot that had very bad experiences at that game, with Giant fans. One or two fans don't represent all the fans...from the broadcast, it looked like there were a lot of Sabre fans there.

Edited by Buftex