Etch-A-Sketch is a perfect descriptor!

I think the Etch-A-Sketch analogy is perfect. To me the whole concept perfectly describes my take on today's politicians. "Tell 'em what they want to hear; move on to the next town." "Read a poll or two, design a message to tweak results in your favor; move on to the next issue."

What really scares me more than that modus operandi is the blatant disregard for any attempt to keep the tactic quiet from the sheep in the bleachers.

I think the Etch-A-Sketch analogy is perfect. To me the whole concept perfectly describes my take on today's politicians. "Tell 'em what they want to hear; move on to the next town." "Read a poll or two, design a message to tweak results in your favor; move on to the next issue."

What really scares me more than that modus operandi is the blatant disregard for any attempt to keep the tactic quiet from the sheep in the bleachers.

Today's politicians? I'm pretty sure it's always been that way. Tell them what they want to hear to keep their phony baloney jobs.

Agree with both of you...it was odd to hear Fehrnstrom so blatantly use that analogy for his guy.

Except that wasn't the case,

He was referring to restarting the campaign with a blank slate after a candidate gets the nomination.

Which, as the replies state, everyone has done.

Those on the left and right trying to make anything out of this against Gov. Romney are wasting their time.

Except that wasn't the case,

He was referring to restarting the campaign with a blank slate after a candidate gets the nomination.

Which, as the replies state, everyone has done.

Those on the left and right trying to make anything out of this against Gov. Romney are wasting their time.

Yes, I know what the context was. He was asked if he was concerned that his candidate (Romney) may have staked himself "too far right" to win a general election, and Fehrnstrom said that the campaign was like an Etch A-sketch...you can just shake it up when the general election starts, and start with a clean slate...I am not saying it is a big deal (though Santorum and Gingrich seem to be having fun with it), but it was, IMO, an incredibly cynical commentary on our political system...and not one I would necessarily want associated with my candidate of choice. I think it was this attitude that made many (self included) lose a tad of respect for John McCain.

The terrorists won when we passed the Patriot Act.

.. yeah other than creating HSA, PATRIOT didn't add to the laws & regulations that already existed - PATRIOT became a nice holding ground for the existing laws.

But if your point is that it created another runaway bureaucracy that puts out more regulations because the government couldn't enforce previous regulations, then you're right.

.. yeah other than creating HSA, PATRIOT didn't add to the laws & regulations that already existed - PATRIOT became a nice holding ground for the existing laws.

But if your point is that it created another runaway bureaucracy that puts out more regulations because the government couldn't enforce previous regulations, then you're right.

Actually, it amended existing laws and pretty seriously weakened privacy laws and constitutional protections.