Nice quote from Wannstedt on the defense

"Then we'll look at our numbers and figure out how many we have at each position. We'll talk about what's the best fit for guys. We want to put guys in position where they can play fast and be most effective. Wherever we need to put people for them to be most effective, we'll do it. We're gonna give guys a chance to play fast, use their ability and make plays."

Putting players in a position to succeed

Nice to have a competent coach on that side of the ball again...

Whatever the potential is of this defense, Wanny will get it out of them.

Novel approach.

Apparently it was for Geroge Edwards who decided instead to screw up the career of a solid veteran Defensive TACKLE by moving him to OLB. :wallbash:

Spencer Johnson should sue for screwing him over like that.

Edited by BobChalmers

Nice to have a competent coach on that side of the ball again...

Whatever the potential is of this defense, Wanny will get it out of them.

so why does Chan get a free pass for hiring a buffoon to run the defense and then another free pass when he kept him for a 2nd year?

Apparently it was for Geroge Edwards who decided instead to screw up the career of a solid veteran Defensive TACKLE by moving him to OLB. :wallbash:

Spencer Johnson should sue for screwing him over like that.

There was a complete lack of talent and depth at the position. The fact that he wanted SJ there tells you all you need to know about Batten, Moats and Coleman.

so why does Chan get a free pass for hiring a buffoon to run the defense and then another free pass when he kept him for a 2nd year?

I don't give him one. Nor for totally collapsing from a leadership standpoint as the ship sunk last season. So far he has proven to be a good offensive coordinator and a good game manager but there's a lot more to being a championship head coach than that.

This sounds more like coach-speak to me. How many times do we hear a coach saying they need new players since the players are not right for their system.

More importantly, the Bills changed coaches to fit their players instead of trying to find players to fit their system. Well, except Mario, who was signed because he will fit Stash's system.

We don't know the circumstances behind all that. Isn't it plausible that Wanny may have been the one who wanted a back-seat role for a year? Who knows, maybe to transition back to the nfl, or maybe to get a sense of what the team had and where it was going before he wanted to go all-in. Not saying Chan SHOULD get a free pass, just saying that there is so much the goes on behind the scenes that nobody outside of a front office or clubhouse will ever know about.

We don't know the circumstances behind all that. Isn't it plausible that Wanny may have been the one who wanted a back-seat role for a year? Who knows, maybe to transition back to the nfl, or maybe to get a sense of what the team had and where it was going before he wanted to go all-in. Not saying Chan SHOULD get a free pass, just saying that there is so much the goes on behind the scenes that nobody outside of a front office or clubhouse will ever know about.

If Wanny took a back seat role I don't blame him and also can see the logic in it. I'll compare it to driving. If you're behind the wheel yes, You're in control and actually have the lives of other people in your hands. But sometimes the co pilot or even the guy in the back seat can see things you don't and at times can see the whole surrounding and get a better feel for the road. Wanny saw what offenses were doing in the NFL better last year IMO because he didn't have to focus on driving.

Also, my opinion on great defenses is not about the system. It's about the players in the system and we just got a heck of a player so we ARE a better team today.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I read the wanny article and I am growing increasingly confident that we will have a conpetant defense which we have not had in years.

Just the way the stache talks gives me confidence that he understands what the offensive trends in the NFL are and he has analyzed how to stop them and has a plan in place to do so

I don't give him one. Nor for totally collapsing from a leadership standpoint as the ship sunk last season. So far he has proven to be a good offensive coordinator and a good game manager but there's a lot more to being a championship head coach than that.

Good game manager??

Yeah, it makes a ton of sense that Wanny ran the defense last year. You know, given that he's a 3-4 kind of guy and was with the team for OTA's and minicamps, where he could give them his playbook.

There was a complete lack of talent and depth at the position. The fact that he wanted SJ there tells you all you need to know about Batten, Moats and Coleman.

This is what some people don't understand. The talent was never on the roster at OLB. The big men were used out of desperation to at least handle the run since no one lighter cut rush the passer. No 3-4 style coordinator was going to get much out of that group. It's funny how we switch to the 4-3 now and suddenly everybody will be playing in their ideal positions on the line. Buddy invested absolutely nothing in the OLB position and it's really sad that all that time and energy was wasted in every way possible. At least they learned from this and changed course. Everyone makes mistakes, few people have the gumption to change. The phrase "staying the course" always makes me want to puke.

Yeah, it makes a ton of sense that Wanny ran the defense last year. You know, given that he's a 3-4 kind of guy and was with the team for OTA's and minicamps, where he could give them his playbook.

i guess the Bills have not invested in that new invention - videotape and digital recording

can't believe anyone with half a brain keeps buying into the excuse that Buddy, Chan and Wannstadt need a full year on the job to evaluate the talent before making decisions.

Edwards sucked 2 years ago

he should have been fired then - and replaced with a competent coach

if Wanstadt wanted to steal his paycheck for a year without being responsible for anything- that is on Chan and Buddy too

bottom line is the defense was an abortion in 2011 -with horrible coaching a big part of teh problem,