How Much Cap Space Is Left

I know many of you guys do your homework better than some of the guys that get paid to look this stuff up. But, my question is after signing Mario exactly how much more cap space do we have? Who can we re-sign or maybe have to let go? Can we afford paying our rookies this upcoming year? I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

He's just mad that by signing with the Bills he doesn't have a chance to under pay Williams to play for the Patriots.

Exactly. he is an idiot and he knows his reign of AFCE Dominance is over. Hell we beat them at home with the 6-10 team we had.

He's not right, and he's not wrong.

We have a 6-10 team, and have added exactly one player.

If we have no money left over to fill holes and depth, we're still going to be in trouble, imo. I love the signing of Mario Williams, but he won't be the cure-all to our problems. We still need another WR, LT, TE depth, DE depth, OLB depth. That's a lot of holes to fill.

Exactly. he is an idiot and he knows his reign of AFCE Dominance is over. Hell we beat them at home with the 6-10 team we had.

He's an idiot?

How successful have the Patriots been over the last 15 years or so?

C'mon, now.

If we have no money left over to fill holes and depth, we're still going to be in trouble, imo. I love the signing of Mario Williams, but he won't be the cure-all to our problems. We still need another WR, LT, TE depth, DE depth, OLB depth. That's a lot of holes to fill.

Who says we don't have money left? We were prepared to drop 6 million a year or so on Meachem. They will just spend it carefully, like they always have.

So going back to the original question, does anyone know how much cap room we actually DO have left? Will we be able to comfortably pay our rookies we draft this year and upgrade Fred's contract? I understand the notion of letting Dwan Edwards go because he just doesn't fit in this defense (even though the guy played pretty good for us). But, I don't want to let Merriman go if all we save is a million in cap. Yes we've all heard Merriman is not the same, he can't stay healthy, but the things he's done as far as being a vocal leader and now scout and recruiter, we can't let him go for cap room sake.

He's an idiot?

How successful have the Patriots been over the last 15 years or so?

C'mon, now.

He may not be an idiot, but his statement sounds like sour grapes to me. To say that the Bills did not get better by signing Mario Williams is an idiotic statement. Of course they did.

Who says we don't have money left? We were prepared to drop 6 million a year or so on Meachem. They will just spend it carefully, like they always have.

I said "if", didn't I?

Nix and Chan's comments lead me to believe they don't have a lot of room left, but I'm not stating that they do or don't.

My opinion is that we still have holes to fill, and depth to find. And that those are every bit as important as filling the need of pass rush, imo. We had a good start to the year with a crappy pass rush, but then injuries set in. :(

He may not be an idiot, but his statement sounds like sour grapes to me. To say that the Bills did not get better by signing Mario Williams is an idiotic statement. Of course they did.

He said "maybe" your team gets worse.

Here's all we know so far... we picked up Mario Williams, and we've lost a LT and a couple other players. We have no proof that the team will be better or worse yet. In theory, adding Mario helps a lot. But lets say our O-Line is worse this year? Or our offense plays the way it did in the second half of the year?

We still have holes, we still have depth issues.

IF we don't have much more money to spend, then it's going to be hard to take care of the above, isn't it?

I'm not saying Mario was a bad signing, it was a great signing. But it's very much not the full and final answer to the Bills problems.

I know many of you guys do your homework better than some of the guys that get paid to look this stuff up. But, my question is after signing Mario exactly how much more cap space do we have? Who can we re-sign or maybe have to let go? Can we afford paying our rookies this upcoming year? I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

I haven't looke recently but we had $32 million rollover and after amonitized bonus's and new deals we signed the Bills are down to about $23 million I believe. IF williams is truly getting $16 million a year, and I believe our cash to cap system is how it will hit our cap,THEN we have about $7 million left over. They'll need to save about 5-6 million for rookies and such.

This doesn't take into account cuts, that most certainly will come. Dwan Edwards, who I don't believe fits our new 4-3, could save the Bills about $3 million in cap space. I don't believe the final cap numbers need to be in until at least late August or September, so plenty of time to figure out cuts etc.

I haven't looke recently but we had $32 million rollover and after amonitized bonus's and new deals we signed the Bills are down to about $23 million I believe. IF williams is truly getting $16 million a year, and I believe our cash to cap system is how it will hit our cap,THEN we have about $7 million left over. They'll need to save about 5-6 million for rookies and such.

This doesn't take into account cuts, that most certainly will come. Dwan Edwards, who I don't believe fits our new 4-3, could save the Bills about $3 million in cap space. I don't believe the final cap numbers need to be in until at least late August or September, so plenty of time to figure out cuts etc.

I think Dwan sticks, hes a solid DE in a 3-4 whose job it was to free up the LBs, not unlike a DT in a 4-3. But if you think he cant slide over 2 feet, then we should let him go

Thanks for the info. Looking like Dwan is definitely on his way out unless he takes a paycut....

We had a 3-0 team when we beat him that went on to 5-2 before the bodies started dropping.

W/o the (yet another) flood of injuries we were headed to 10-6 last year.

With Kyle Williams healthy and Mario in the fold the over/under on the Bills should be 11 wins.

We had a 3-0 team when we beat him that went on to 5-2 before the bodies started dropping.

W/o the (yet another) flood of injuries we were headed to 10-6 last year.

With Kyle Williams healthy and Mario in the fold the over/under on the Bills should be 11 wins.

I think I mentioned that we need depth and to plug a few holes.

That was referencing our injuries, basically.

I have time, and time again, said that our team is pretty decent IF we don't have any injuries. But recent history has shown that we are a fragile team, hence my position that we need to pursue more depth and plug a couple more "holes" in order to be realistically successful.

We're in the same boat. :)

I think I mentioned that we need depth and to plug a few holes.

That was referencing our injuries, basically.

I have time, and time again, said that our team is pretty decent IF we don't have any injuries. But recent history has shown that we are a fragile team, hence my position that we need to pursue more depth and plug a couple more "holes" in order to be realistically successful.

We're in the same boat. :)

Guess I'm saying that I'm on the same page with Nix in thinking they really are just a couple of guys away from division contender ASSUMING less injuries.

Put another way - I believe Nix thinks they should have fewer injuries this year (because last year was worse than normal) and therefore the Bills are better than a "6-10 team" which is why he thought it was worth pulling the trigger this year on the mega deal for MW.

AND therefore OBD may be a little less concerned with depth than those of us who see them lose a ton of guys to injury far too often. Not to dispute that - as they've said - "you can always use more depth" - just that I don't think they're focused on it as much.

Edited by BobChalmers