No thanks to Meacham, anybody notice that?

Buddy Nix said something about getting a phone call in the middle of the night from Meacham's agent about San Diego's offer. He said that he told them good luck, thank you, or something along those lines. It's not that we didn't want Meacham, it's that San Diego offered something Buddy was not prepared to match at that time.

Look, we were able to have a productive offense with one seventh round pick and a handful of street free agents. We've got Stevie back, along with most of those guys and the kid from UCONN. Don't be shocked if they take a WR in the first. Floyd from Notre Dame might just work out. Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd would be awesome

Nix on Mario Williams Signing:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/#?id=1767124a-d9da-425e-a590-cf44c13d7125&channelName=Recent

at about 3:00 he responds to a question about Meachem.

Said Nix in the interview:

"I get a call in the middle of the night, they say (Meachem's) been offered this… and we say good luck… that's really good for you… "

Buddy Nix said something about getting a phone call in the middle of the night from Meacham's agent about San Diego's offer. He said that he told them good luck, thank you, or something along those lines. It's not that we didn't want Meacham, it's that San Diego offered something Buddy was not prepared to match at that time.

Look, we were able to have a productive offense with one seventh round pick and a handful of street free agents. We've got Stevie back, along with most of those guys and the kid from UCONN. Don't be shocked if they take a WR in the first. Floyd from Notre Dame might just work out. Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd would be awesome

I'm thrilled that we didn't get Meachem. However, I really really wanted Pierre Garcon. He's young, fast, and could have been here with Stevie for a long time.

Oh well, guess I'll have to "settle" for Mario. :beer:

So what's your point ??? :blink: Sorry but you lost me :oops: !!

My point was that we chose not to sign him, not that he just ran off and went to San Diego. We were offered the opportunity to match, and chose not to. We would have taken him at our price.

That night I had the impression that he just darted on us, but we seemed ready to sign him till he got a much better offer.

Meacham is average IMO. I am happy we didn't waste the funds on him. He plays on a team where Colston, Jimmy Graham are double teamed and Brees throws for 67,000 yards a season. He catches a bomb or two on blown coverage and also drops a bomb or two in blown coverage.

Put Donald Jones on the saints and they put up identical stats. SUPER MARIO TIME. Enjoy San Diego Meech

Glad they didn't overpay for meachem...would much rather have Floyd.

No way. Are you crazy? (I just want to see your avatar some more)

What if they could get Mike Wallace here some how?

Edited by bmur66

I can't believe I'm saying this. But the only way I'd ever say this is if we had just signed a killer DE. Since we just did--I thought we were going to sign V. Jackson--and since Buddy alluded that we weren't going to sign any more FAs, let's draft a WR in the first.

I know the good teams don't generally do this--NE, Pitt, GB--but we need a big-time receiver to compliment Gailey's spread system. Floyd could fit. Hell, Blackmon might be available with so many WR FAs on the market.

Then, maybe OT in the second, OLB in the third, CB in the fourth. I know we're a bit weak at CB but with a solid D line, that should take a lot of pressure off the secondary. I would normally say draft an OT in the first, but the only legit 1st round one, from what I've seen, will be taken.

That should plug some holes already.

Still can't believe we got Mario!

Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd would be a perfect scenario for us. His skill set would be a great complement to Stevie.

Michael Irvin said that what separates elite WRs from good WRs is body control....the ability to adjust to the ball and shield the defender. I dunno Jeffery and I've never seen him play, but most of the writeups comment how good his body control is and how he always seems to be open even when he's covered. That resonated with me as this matches Buddy and Chan's "job posting" perfectly. Maybe Jeffrey is a match.

Meachem was a rotational WR in that Saints offense, sorta like 3rd string. Although he was drafted in the 1st round he never played like he was worthy of that pick.

I suppose SD can justify the money they gave him by stating he is now their #1 WR. He wouldn't have been #1 in Buffalo.

I don't see this player worth what SD gave him

I'd MUCH rather have Jeffery (or others) in the 2nd than Floyd in the 1st...I like Floyd, but I think #10 is too high for him... And Floyd is being pushed up due to the lack of top end depth at WR (there's PLENTY of depth in the 2nd Round and on)...Rookie WR's rarely make a big impact and chances are Easley, if the BIG if happens and he stays healthy, will be FAR ahead of any Rookie we can grab at #10...No matter who that Rookie is...I'm in favor of grabbing a LT at #10...I think the upside and depth at LT is far better and safer at #10...But we'll see soon enough... B-)