Hey Draftniks, why did Ingram only start 1 year?

I don't follow college ball (until draft time), so I was wondering if anyone had some insight into why Melvin Ingram didn't start until this last year.

He had 9 sacks coming off the bench in 2010 (1 short of the team record, which he then tied in 2011). Was he really weak against the run? He's not exactly a one-year wonder in terms of big plays, but he is a one-year starter.

Just seems curious to me. Otherwise, I like what I see/read about him. What gives?

Probably because he isn't that great of a football player and wouldn't be considered first round talent in any other year. There is just a shortage of pass rushers in the 2012 draft so drtaftniks promote him to a top10 pick but real GMs likely don't have him that high on their board.

Edited by Why So Serious?

he was small and switched positions first year of college, put on weight so he could "handle" every day college ball, got spot duty in situational pass rushes last year and then this year got the full time gig - and partly what Why So Serious said (I do believe hes mostly overrated, but I think his spin move is the real deal - unfortunately thats all Ive seen from his pass rushing skills, his bull rush will not work in the NFL and his hands just arent active enough to create the needed separation from NFL tackles)

Probably because he isn't that great of a football player and wouldn't be considered first round talent in any other year. Ythere is just a shortage of pass rushers in the 2012 draft so drtaftniks promote him to a top10 pick but real GMs likely don't have him that high on their board.

What a completely clueless and ridiculous statement. Did you watch one South Carolina game this year or last?

He was playing behind Cliff Mathews, who was an all SEC performer and a senior. He played a ton as a junior and besides his 9 sacks he had 11 TFLs. To be ranked near the top of the SEC in TFLs and sacks for 2 seasons in row makes you a very good football player. Watch a game before you comment.

What a completely clueless and ridiculous statement. Did you watch one South Carolina game this year or last?

He was playing behind Cliff Mathews, who was an all SEC performer and a senior. He played a ton as a junior and besides his 9 sacks he had 11 TFLs. To be ranked near the top of the SEC in TFLs and sacks for 2 seasons in row makes you a very good football player. Watch a game before you comment.

Actually I've watched several SC games.

If you want a blast from the past watch Gurley emerge in GB now that Donald Driver is gone.

Accusing me of not watching college games, that's funny.

Anywho, Melvin Ingram would stack rank somewhere around Justin Houston in the 2011 draft.

He is not a premier game changer at DE in the NFL. That's just that the way it is.

Another concern is this year he had Jadeveon Clowney on the opposite side who quickly started taking double teams as a true freshman.

watched a few games and that kid stuck out to me. he looked legit

he was small and switched positions first year of college, put on weight so he could "handle" every day college ball, got spot duty in situational pass rushes last year and then this year got the full time gig - and partly what Why So Serious said (I do believe hes mostly overrated, but I think his spin move is the real deal - unfortunately thats all Ive seen from his pass rushing skills, his bull rush will not work in the NFL and his hands just arent active enough to create the needed separation from NFL tackles)

I don't know, sounds suspiciously like Maybin 2.0

1331647590[/url]' post='2402918']

Actually I've watched several SC games.

If you want a blast from the past watch Gurley emerge in GB now that Donald Driver is gone.

Accusing me of not watching college games, that's funny.

Anywho, Melvin Ingram would stack rank somewhere around Justin Houston in the 2011 draft.

He is not a premier game changer at DE in the NFL. That's just that the way it is.

He might stack rank vs Justin Houston....he might not. On your board, he stacks rank vs Justin Houston. On others, he might be above. On others, below. He's a much different player than Houston IMO. Ingrams quicker and faster (info I gathered strictly by watching them play, not combine).

He's not a premier game changer at DE in the nfl? That's just the way it is? Some of your posts are spot on. Then I read garbage like this. I'm sure you already KNOW this before he's even played a down. You KNOW that he's he won't put in the extra hours in the weight room and the film room in order to take his game to the next level. If there's one thing a true draftnik knows, is that each players inner strength and desire plays as much a part of their success as talent. The most talented guy can bust because he doesn't want it bad enough. A less talented player can out produce his talent by being dedicated to becoming the best they can be. Do you know Melvin Ingram? Ever sit down and talk to him? No and no. You don't know what kind of player Melvin Ingram will be. Just like you didn't know what kind of Von Miller will be.

I like Ingram, but I don't love Ingram. If we select him, I can understand why, and would stand behind his selection. If not, oh well.

Edited by NewEra

Sometimes you agree with posters you usually disagree with and sometimes you disagree with posters you usually agree with.

In this topic, both of these things are the case.

I think Ingram is a helluva football player and that he would be a first rounder in any year.

JMO.

He might stack rank vs Justin Houston....he might not. On your board, he stacks rank vs Justin Houston. On others, he might be above. On others, below. He's a much different player than Houston IMO. Ingrams quicker and faster (info I gathered strictly by watching them play, not combine).

He's not a premier game changer at DE in the nfl? That's just the way it is? Some of your posts are spot on. Then I read garbage like this. I'm sure you already KNOW this before he's even played a down. You KNOW that he's he won't put in the extra hours in the weight room and the film room in order to take his game to the next level. If there's one thing a true draftnik knows, is that each players inner strength and desire plays as much a part of their success as talent. The most talented guy can bust because he doesn't want it bad enough. A less talented player can out produce his talent by being dedicated to becoming the best they can be. Do you know Melvin Ingram? Ever sit down and talk to him? No and no. You don't know what kind of player Melvin Ingram will be. Just like you didn't know what kind of Von Miller will be.

I like Ingram, but I don't love Ingram. If we select him, I can understand why, and would stand behind his selection. If not, oh well.

How about I qualify the statement. "Right now I don't, believe he is a game changing DE in the NFL and I don't believe he worthy of the #10 overall pick especially in comparison to the quality of OTs and Malcolm Floyd. That's just that way it is, for me."

Better?

If Ingram were in the 2011 NFL draft this is where I would stack rank him in 1st round pass rusher prospects:

Aldon Smith

J. J. Watt

Von Miller

Nick Fairley

Ryan Kerrigan

Adrian Clayborn

Robert Quinn

- Ingram

Cameron Jordan

- Coples

I could see someone arguing Ingram over Clayborn but I can't see anyone arguing that Ingram is a better prospect than Kerrigan.

The 2012 DE class is weak, it just is imo.

The Bills can't afford to reach past possible Blue-Chip talent at OT to grab an immidiate need of a pass rusher, imo.

Edited by Why So Serious?

How about I qualify the statement. "Right now I don't, believe he is a game changing DE in the NFL and I don't believe he worthy of the #10 overall pick especially in comparison to the quality of OTs and Malcolm Floyd. That's just that way it is, for me."

Better?

If Ingram were in the 2011 NFL draft this is where I would stack rank him in 1st round pass rusher prospects:

Aldon Smith

J. J. Watt

Von Miller

Nick Fairley

Ryan Kerrigan

Adrian Clayborn

Robert Quinn

- Ingram

Cameron Jordan

- Coples

I could see someone arguing Ingram over Clayborn but I can't see anyone arguing that Ingram is a better prospect than Kerrigan.

The Bills can't afford to reach past possible Blue-Chip talent at OT to grab an immidiate need of a pass rusher, imo.

Last year was one of the best defensive lineman drafts in memory. So in that sense, it's not fair framing Ingram in that context.

Jabaal Sheard had a great rookie season for the Browns (8.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles) and you didn't even mention him.

Muhammad Wilkerson will give the Jets much of what Dareus gives the Bills but the Jets got him at #30.

Nor did you mention Cam Heyward or DaQuan Bowers.

All 12 of these players had a first round (or high second round) grades… but again 2011 might have been the greatest D-line draft in history.

If you put Ingram in the 2010 draft, he's no lower than 3rd behind Suh and McCoy and ahead of Brandon Graham.

IMO you've been giving Ingram short shrift this last week or so but I rarely disagree with you.

We shall see.

1331689790[/url]' post='2404508']

Better?

Aldon Smith

J. J. Watt

Von Miller

Nick Fairley

Ryan Kerrigan

Adrian Clayborn

Robert Quinn

- Ingram

Cameron Jordan

- Coples

Better, but I agree with sjbf in that you're comparing him to a bunch of really good players. Really good. So he's in the mix with a lot of really good players. I don't see the problem with him being "not as good" as jj watts, Aldon smith, Von miller and the rest. That doesn't mean he's not a really good player and in THIS draft, worth not worth the 10th pick.