If Tannehill Isn't Taken In Top 9.....

Looking at the Rams trade, I am assuming that the old draft value chart doesn't apply any more. That trade looked crazy from where I sit, but have times changed?

Jamarcus Russel probably collected more in bonus money than Luck or RG3 will earn in 5 years (sorry, too lazy to look it up). One season, Parcells wanted to trade out of the 1 spot and found no takers as I recall. Under the old CBA, there was far more risk. Not only could a player bust out, he could hamstring an organization in terms of salary cap, and lose the owner tons of cash.

Even under the old CBA, QBs were at a premium. In the dreaded 2006 draft, we sat at 8, and Leinart (then highly regarded) and Cutler were still there. Levy himself said he had numerous offers to trade down, and some included a second round pick and more. Of course, he and Jauron stood pat and took Whitner like morons, but I digress.

Now, there is far less risk for an owner/GM in terms of trading up. If the early selected QB busts out, they can cut, or even try to trade him after a couple of seasons, and not suffer the salary cap hit of the amortized bonus.

My point to all of this? If a team at 20 or so wants Tannehill and he is still there, we could get an unusually big offer to trade down. Every season we see trade scenarios on this board that many of us snicker at. This could change. Maybe it already has.

PS: To my friend John C: I know that Buddy isn't into trading down. But again, I have a hunch that times have changed in terms of value. I sure am glad he isn't into trading up! :thumbsup:

Looking at the Rams trade, I am assuming that the old draft value chart doesn't apply any more. That trade looked crazy from where I sit, but have times changed?

Jamarcus Russel probably collected more in bonus money than Luck or RG3 will earn in 5 years (sorry, too lazy to look it up). One season, Parcells wanted to trade out of the 1 spot and found no takers as I recall. Under the old CBA, there was far more risk. Not only could a player bust out, he could hamstring an organization in terms of salary cap, and lose the owner tons of cash.

Even under the old CBA, QBs were at a premium. In the dreaded 2006 draft, we sat at 8, and Leinart (then highly regarded) and Cutler were still there. Levy himself said he had numerous offers to trade down, and some included a second round pick and more. Of course, he and Jauron stood pat and took Whitner like morons, but I digress.

Now, there is far less risk for an owner/GM in terms of trading up. If the early selected QB busts out, they can cut, or even try to trade him after a couple of seasons, and not suffer the salary cap hit of the amortized bonus.

My point to all of this? If a team at 20 or so wants Tannehill and he is still there, we could get an unusually big offer to trade down. Every season we see trade scenarios on this board that many of us snicker at. This could change. Maybe it already has.

PS: To my friend John C: I know that Buddy isn't into trading down. But again, I have a hunch that times have changed in terms of value. I sure am glad he isn't into trading up! :thumbsup:

You make some good points here but I don't totally agree.

First, I do think it is possible that the market has changed and agree that rookies making less $$$ could help the market, but I don't think we can conclude anything based on something the Redskins have done. They are crazy.

An observation that makes me sad is that you seem to have joined the club and become obsessed with talleywhacker. I doubt many NFL GMs are in that club but I guess we won't know for sure until draft day.

And the saddest part is that years later you keep slamming Whitner. An All Pro at #8 is no given but we drafted one. It is too bad he had to go to another team to prove himself.

Or we could draft Tannehill and finally have a franchise QB.

Tannenhill won't be drafted before the 3rd round.

C'mon senator be reasonable, he is most assuredly going 1st round. That's almost as crazy as Crick going in the bottom of the 7th.

You make some good points here but I don't totally agree.

First, I do think it is possible that the market has changed and agree that rookies making less $$$ could help the market, but I don't think we can conclude anything based on something the Redskins have done. They are crazy.

An observation that makes me sad is that you seem to have joined the club and become obsessed with talleywhacker. I doubt many NFL GMs are in that club but I guess we won't know for sure until draft day.

And the saddest part is that years later you keep slamming Whitner. An All Pro at #8 is no given but we drafted one. It is too bad he had to go to another team to prove himself.

I almost thought this was Robert Cohen.

IMO:If Tannehill is drafted in the top 9 that GM needs to be immediately fired. If a team wants to move up to #10 to select Tannehill that GM should be immediately fired.

Mike Mayock

“He’s got everything you want,” Mayock said in a pre-combine conference call on Wednesday. “He’s got size, he’s got arm strength, really good athlete. All you have to do is look at his tape as a wide receiver two years ago. He’s a big, fast kid with a really good arm.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-mayock-texas-aandm-qb-ryan-tannehill-could-go-in-the-first-round/2012/02/15/gIQA1XULGR_blog.html

Mike Mayock

“He’s got everything you want,” Mayock said in a pre-combine conference call on Wednesday. “He’s got size, he’s got arm strength, really good athlete. All you have to do is look at his tape as a wide receiver two years ago. He’s a big, fast kid with a really good arm.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-mayock-texas-aandm-qb-ryan-tannehill-could-go-in-the-first-round/2012/02/15/gIQA1XULGR_blog.html

And if he's taken in the top ten I'll eat your headdress.

IMO:If Tannehill is drafted in the top 9 that GM needs to be immediately fired. If a team wants to move up to #10 to select Tannehill that GM should be immediately fired.

Wow. A bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Because of the value of the QB position, team overdraft them every year. Look at last year, 4 guys went in Rd1, 2 of which had second round grades. Tannehill will be the 3rd QB taken and he will absolutely, without any doubt in my mind be draft in the top 20 probably closer to top 10.

Wow. A bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Because of the value of the QB position, team overdraft them every year. Look at last year, 4 guys went in Rd1, 2 of which had second round grades. Tannehill will be the 3rd QB taken and he will absolutely, without any doubt in my mind be draft in the top 20 probably closer to top 10.

In my opinion, that's all it is, opinion; he isn't a top 10 or even first round talent. Will he go in the first round? Fairly likely. Will he become a successful NFL QB? He might, but I don't think that he will.

That gm should be fired and buddy should totally take that trade. Especially if it is with the seahawks and we only drop a few spots

That gm should be fired and buddy should totally take that trade. Especially if it is with the seahawks and we only drop a few spots

I was going to say this! (BTW I still think Buddy won't do it, although never say never) Also BTW at the Seahawks spot Hightower is a good value (this comment esply for BillNYC)

Edited by bowery4

C'mon senator be reasonable, he is most assuredly going 1st round. That's almost as crazy as Crick going in the bottom of the 7th.

I almost thought this was Robert Cohen.

whats not crazy is Crick will PLAY below a seventh round pick

Tannenhill won't be drafted before the 3rd round.

That wouldn't be such a bad get at that round , I don't see him as a high draft pick especially that he is a project !! But the Wilson guy has some stats that if turned into a NFL QB could be scary !!! If you know what i'm saying !!

And if he's taken in the top ten I'll eat your headdress.

My headress?

Although I may buy one just watch that happen :D

whats not crazy is Crick will PLAY below a seventh round pick

Yeah sure, that's how all first round talents play :wacko: . He had the same stats the year after Suh left as he when he was there and if he wasn't injured this year he would be a top 15 pick.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I have duly noted our variances of opinion on both Tannehill and Crick, B2 - we can revisit the issue after the draft...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Tannehill's college coach is now with the Dolphins.

If the Dolphins, who know more about him than any other NFL team, do not want him @ 8. I do not want anything to do with him @ 10.

Tannehill's college coach is now with the Dolphins.

If the Dolphins, who know more about him than any other NFL team, do not want him @ 8. I do not want anything to do with him @ 10.

if the Bills start basing their decision on what the Dolphins do or don't do, we are really in trouble