Signing Vincent Jackson In FA Would Be a Franchise Changer

Could you freaking imagine Johnson and Nelson to the right, VJ to the left. AND Freddie and Spiller in the backfield on 2nd and 3? Fitz drops back to pass........how in the hell do you even attempt to cover all five of those guys?

You don't. You knock Fitz on his ass

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting situation for Buddy. How can he offer more to VJ than what he just signed SJ? No room to neogtiate. Maybe that is a blessing. He can say here is the same contract take it or leave it. A WR corps of VJ, SJ, Easley, Nelson, and Jones would look pretty good - on paper.

I think a healthy Parrish will produce more than Jones. I think Parrish was developing some nice chemistry with Fitz before he got hurt. Hope to see it happen this season. Jones sucked all last year. Hands of stone.

It's looking like VJ will hit the FA market. This is my #1 free-agent for the Bills realistically. Adding him to our offense would be so dynamic and would complement our offense so well. We would be basically set going forward with our offense.

Signing a guy like VJ, we could definitely just focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE in the draft, stockpiling young players for Wansteedt to fix our defense.

For the most part I agree with this. He was my #1 choice until I saw some of the other names that might become FAs. He would definitely help this team. I'm not stating this as some huge negative but if V-Jax was 26 instead of 29 I would be ecstatic. Given some of the other names that might be coming out V-Jax might be had for a slightly lower price due to his age. We need to pay this guy MORE than SJ to get him though. Signing him for a similar deal is a fantasy.

Edited by PDaDdy

Patriots - Brady

Saints - Brees

Giants - Eli Manning

Bills - The Amish Rifle

That's the difference. You can't overcome a crappy defense unless your offense has a stud at QB able to put up big points.

If these guys would have lost, oh I don't know, 2 of their top 3 recievers( we used Spiller at WR for a while), league leading rusher, possible PB center,best pass catching te on the team and the top 2 lt's and move your possible PB LG all around the line, it would have been a different story. Brady without his top 2 recievers,top RB and a beat up line(especially up the middle) can't handle pressure up the middle. Neither could Brees or Manning. Rodgers either for that matter. GB d wasn't great this past season either. The Amish Rifle was doing just fine before the injuries set in. Were we leading the league in a few offensive categories? Yes. Would he have been as good as Brees, Brady, or Manning? Probably not, but he would have guided each of those teams to the playoffs last season. IMO.

Edited by Dopey

If these guys would have lost, oh I don't know, 2 of their top 3 recievers( we used Spiller at WR for a while), league leading rusher, possible PB center,best pass catching te on the team and the top 2 lt's and move your possible PB LG all around the line, it would have been a different story. Brady without his top 2 recievers,top RB and a beat up line(especially up the middle) can't handle pressure up the middle. Neither could Brees or Manning. Rodgers either for that matter. GB d wasn't great this past season either. The Amish Rifle was doing just fine before the injuries set in. Were we leading the league in a few offensive categories? Yes. Would he have been as good as Brees, Brady, or Manning? Probably not, but he would have guided each of those teams to the playoffs last season. IMO.

Not in mine.

Sign FA Super Mario and draft a wide out like Floyd, Blackmon, or Hill in the first round. Go for a QB in the second or third round the rest of the draft go defense. AND as they say down in the ole south in Buddy's neck of the woods, now your cookin with peanut oil!

Patriots - Brady

Saints - Brees

Giants - Eli Manning

Bills - The Amish Rifle

That's the difference. You can't overcome a crappy defense unless your offense has a stud at QB able to put up big points.

Crappy Defense?????!??!?!?!? Let's look at that a little closer:

Patriots - 15th best regular season 21.4 pts. #3 Post season 17 pts (when it mattered)

Saints - 13th best regular season 21.2 pts.

Giants - 26th best regular season 25 pts. #1 Post season 14 pts (when D got healthy)

These teams had good to GREAT defenses. The only anomaly is the Giants in the regular season who suffered through injuries across their defensive line and other areas. They barely made the play offs backing in at 9-7. Once they made the post season they had THE BEST defense in the play offs.

Not a single one of those QBs could overcome the 30th worst defense in the league giving up 27.1 pts a week and playing in a division won every year by the Patriots. Were it not for some incredible luck the current superbowl champs wouldn't have even made the play offs!

Edited by PDaDdy

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/6/2848641/buffalo-bills-free-agency-vincent-jackson

"The report, however, also claims that Jackson would like to return to San Diego, and would be willing to accept slightly less than what he's offered on the open market to do so. The Chargers, it's believed, are set to offer him nearly $11 million in annual compensation - a figure that Jackson could eclipse on the open market. Jackson, who turned 29 in January, is more than three years Johnson's senior, and has never had more than 68 receptions or nine scores in a season. Johnson has surpassed the first figure in each of the past two seasons, and had 10 touchdowns in 2010.

Our question for you, Bills fans: is signing a 29-year-old player that, at his peak, has put up similar production to Johnson worth an additional $4-5 million in annual compensation over the deal Johnson signed yesterday?"

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if the Bills signed VJ. I think our offense would be in the Top 10 if VJ was on the team. If Nix & Merriman can work their magic and help bring VJ to Buffalo, then I'm all for it. But an extra $4-5 million a year (compared to SJ) is not going to happen.

Guys like us have to learn not to throw in the "the useless extraneous claim". Your last statement has no value and it allows a poster to completely ignore all of the other insightful and very valid points that you made. It gives them something to argue against that really has no baring on anything. I tried the approach of pounding all those facts and more into Fitz Haters heads but it doesn't matter. He doesn't walk on water so he can't get it done.

Brady would have cried like a little girl to the refs every play if he lost some of his probowl lineman, Gronk, Welker and had even less of a running game. Throw in playing with the 30th ranked defense instead of the 15th ranked defense and Brady would have faked injury to avoid playing and besmirching his legacy and looking like a regular old QB who benefits from the team, system and scheme around him.

Guys like us have to learn not to throw in the "the useless extraneous claim".

I don't see anything wrong with stating an opinion. Not everyone is going to agree of course, particularly here. But he wasn't insulting anyone or being an a-hole. Nothing wrong with that at all. IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with stating an opinion. Not everyone is going to agree of course, particularly here. But he wasn't insulting anyone or being an a-hole. Nothing wrong with that at all. IMO.

I was fine with everything Dopey said. The last statement however in his entire post was the one that you chose to address. It's that last little tail on an intelligent post that is small and meaningless that becomes the focus of another posters response.

He asked how those QBs would perform if their top WRs, lineman and running game were taken from them? He then added on that he thought Fitz could have done as well with the Patriots, Saints and Giants if he was the QB of their team. That is what you chose to respond to not how those QBs would have performed if they had to endure the same hell storm of injuries that Fitz did. I assume those were the points that he really wanted addressed.

I do it constantly and I need to stop myself. If I post one sentence too many that someone can find fault with they ignore every other solid point I made and focus on one sentence in a multi-paragraph post.

Sorry if already posted...speculation from SD that Buffalo will make a run at Jackson.

link

Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune in San Diego saying “it is believed” the Bills will make a move for Jackson despite re-signing Stevie Johnson to a five-year, $36.25 million deal, especially since the team has the salary cap space to do so.

I was fine with everything Dopey said. The last statement however in his entire post was the one that you chose to address. It's that last little tail on an intelligent post that is small and meaningless that becomes the focus of another posters response.

He asked how those QBs would perform if their top WRs, lineman and running game were taken from them? He then added on that he thought Fitz could have done as well with the Patriots, Saints and Giants if he was the QB of their team. That is what you chose to respond to not how those QBs would have performed if they had to endure the same hell storm of injuries that Fitz did. I assume those were the points that he really wanted addressed.

I do it constantly and I need to stop myself. If I post one sentence too many that someone can find fault with they ignore every other solid point I made and focus on one sentence in a multi-paragraph post.

Gotcha, I'll try to keep that in mind, but I mix stats with personal obvservation and opinion to put a human aspect to my post/reply.Glad you were fine with most of the post. That's what I like about these forums. We can vent, give opinions and I don't get mad when someone disagrees(as long as they don't get personal). After all of that, Fitz still takes those teams to the playoffs. How many of them would have taken the Bills to the playoffs last year? Maybe a healthy Manning, and I don't mean Eli.Brady, maybe. Brees, no. Eli, no. Again IMO. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Guys like us have to learn not to throw in the "the useless extraneous claim". Your last statement has no value and it allows a poster to completely ignore all of the other insightful and very valid points that you made. It gives them something to argue against that really has no baring on anything. I tried the approach of pounding all those facts and more into Fitz Haters heads but it doesn't matter. He doesn't walk on water so he can't get it done.

Brady would have cried like a little girl to the refs every play if he lost some of his probowl lineman, Gronk, Welker and had even less of a running game. Throw in playing with the 30th ranked defense instead of the 15th ranked defense and Brady would have faked injury to avoid playing and besmirching his legacy and looking like a regular old QB who benefits from the team, system and scheme around him.

:thumbsup:

Because my "useless extraneous claim" received attention, I don't see it as useless or extraneous. I appreciate the thought though. Glad you found the rest insightful and very valid. I try.

Edited by Dopey

Good to hear!!!!

I'm confused: in another thread, you stated this about VJ -

"Chargers (Vincent Jackson)I'm tired of posting about him but his numbers don't compare to stevies check the pinned thread for my comparison. On top of quitting on his team for more money."

Here, you are excited about the prospect of signing him. Where do you really stand on the issue?

Edited by Marauder24

"Chargers (Vincent Jackson)I'm tired of posting about him but his numbers don't compare to stevies check the pinned thread for my comparison. On top of quitting on his team for more money."

Here, you are excited about the prospect of signing him. Where do you really stand on the issue?

that was my quote not his... and I wouldn't mind VJ on the Bills but not for the money it will take.

:worthy: