What is our cap situation?

I see a lot of people giving what I believe are incorrect analyses of our cap situation. Can someone let me know if I'm wrong as well?

Before signing SJ we had 104.7 million in salary cap commitments

Estimated cap this year is $120,400,000

We carried over unused space from last year ($19,293,018?)

So we have @$34,593,00 and change to spend this year?

SJ13 signed for $36.25 million that includes $19.5 million gtd and over $24 million in deal's first three years.

If I estimate high and say he counts for $7.5M against the cap, that leaves us with $27,093,000 and change to spend this year? How much is reserved for rookies?

Just trying to see what we may have $ wise so I can anticipate who we have $ to go after in free agency. Thank guys.

According to this link on Buffalo Rumblingshttp://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/5/2846415/53-man-s-johnson-cap-space

Merriman and Kelsey account for 11.5 Million , seems like we could spend out money for better people for are more productive.

I'd have Carrington drop 20 pounds and work on his speed to replace Kelsey.

I know everyone hates Kelsay around here, but he is significantly better than Carrington.

I don't hate him..................

but, pointing out that he is a "good" player , making above average pay,

and that is an avenue that could be examined when trying to work around the cap........... is just good sense.

Edited by B-Man

I was under the impression that Merriman is getting like 3 million guaranteed, so cutting him would only really save us $2m. That said, I think we should stick a fork in him.

I believe Merriman is getting 3M guaranteed, so cutting him would save us only like 2M. That said, I think he's done and we should stick a fork in him. Nonetheless, I think his role is simplified at DE, so if he ever had a shot at getting his act together, it should be at DE.

I was under the impression that Merriman is getting like 3 million guaranteed, so cutting him would only really save us $2m. That said, I think we should stick a fork in him.

I believe Merriman is getting 3M guaranteed, so cutting him would save us only like 2M. That said, I think he's done and we should stick a fork in him. Nonetheless, I think his role is simplified at DE, so if he ever had a shot at getting his act together, it should be at DE.

Unless he doesnt pass a physical. In that case he wouldnt be guaranteed the $3mil.

I see a lot of people giving what I believe are incorrect analyses of our cap situation. Can someone let me know if I'm wrong as well?

Before signing SJ we had 104.7 million in salary cap commitments

Estimated cap this year is $120,400,000

We carried over unused space from last year ($19,293,018?)

So we have @$34,593,00 and change to spend this year?

SJ13 signed for $36.25 million that includes $19.5 million gtd and over $24 million in deal's first three years.

If I estimate high and say he counts for $7.5M against the cap, that leaves us with $27,093,000 and change to spend this year? How much is reserved for rookies?

Just trying to see what we may have $ wise so I can anticipate who we have $ to go after in free agency. Thank guys.

Stevies cap hit will be = his base salary next year (2.5) + amortized signing bonus (1.7) + bonuses (0.1) -->> $4.3 mil cap hit.

Actual cash spent on Stevie's contract = base salary next year (2.5) plus signing bonus (8.5) + bonuses (0.1) -->> $10.8mil.

At least thats how i see it.

He doesn't have a choice with the team going to base 4-3. If he's healthy enough to see a lot of action, he's going to have to play 43 DE. I don't think they pay him and keep him around just to play in the hybrid 34 packages at OLB.

Then again, they kept Kelsay around for their base 3-4 experiment, and he was horrific at OLB AND got a raise.