Courtney Upshaw

PDaDdy

Why would you say that when he completely bombed out at his combine? Melvin Ingram wowed everyone with his athleticism and Upshaw looked stiffer than Mitt Romney at a Jay Z concert. He's a power only guy with clear physical limitations whether he's playing as a OLB or DE. So his body size sucks for which ever position you put him at, and he doesn't have the ability to move very well. How is that fine for our pick at #10?

I get that he looks good on tape, but that's at the college level. I think all signs point to Upshaw being a disappointing first round pick for whichever team takes him that high.

I hope he's not if we get him but we have seen plenty of guys that can excel at the college level but can't make the transition to the pros. He has 3 years of good performance on a great defense with a great surrounding cast. That makes me worry a bit.

Coples sucks and Upshaw doesn't fit.

I didn't expect his poor performance to make anyone like Coples but I still think the guy can get it done. In no way am I saying he is the next Julius Peppers but I think he would be a solid pick that has what it takes at the pro level. Motivation has been alleged as an issue but you can't teach or coach the other things he brings to the table. Coples also has a body of work though some were disappointed with his last year. Although it was still good it didn't live up to peoples expectations of increased performance much less a repeat performance.

I do feel less like Upshaw is a fit for us but I am also starting to doubt that he was worthy of #10 anyway. IMO he is NOT a 4-3 DE who would be a great pass rusher. Run support, sure, it's a need. I wonder if he would need to play lighter to play faster at the NFL level. Even with his squat powerful build I don't see him bull rushing his way through 320lb NFL tackles. I definitely don't see the speed to run around them. Maybe a little lighter and quicker would help his "stiffness" as well.

Edited by PDaDdy

Well i hope he does. Then we can consider all the available talent there really in the second. Curry comes to mind. D. Hightower has been talked up by us and i am sure we could find some more gems there too. our second is #41 isn't it? I hope we can get our rushers from thereabouts. DaveW still talks about flexibilty with defenses and defensive players today and getting a guy that can play 3 downs regardless of what the offense lines up. Tough year for us and a lot of pressure on the staff i feel. Thanks #1

I think that Melvin Ingram is a slam dunk for our team at #10 if he's there. I think our first pick is RGIII (trade up of course), Ingram or Floyd in that order. As for #41 (if we still have it), I could see them go OL, TE, DE, OLB. That will be another BPA pick.

Judging by the criteria from Upshaw, he does not sound like something that the Bills would be looking for.

We need a consistent pass-rushing threat like Von Miller from last year. Someone to demand extra attention and create mismatches along the D-line and make our secondary look better. 1 player such as this could solve these issues.

I love the idea of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus on the field at the same time. That should give opposing teams fits like Pat Williams and Ted Washington used to do.

But we need outside pressure on a consistent basis. Nix states that free agency is an option. The Giants have announced they would be willing to trade Osi U. Who was the best CFL DE last year? Are the Bills looking for the next Cameron Wake in the Great White North?

I think we go LT in the first, and find a couple of passrushers in rounds 3-6.

Courtney Upshaw=Lamar Woodley.

Not even close, imo.

Woodley single-handedly destroyed the Big10 in every game I ever saw and Upshaw has always been just another guy out there.

Lamar has the speed and quickness to get people off balance so that he can take advantage of his power; Upshaw does not.

Woodley has HOF potential; Upshaw has the potential to carve out a decent career ala Andra Davis.

I like Upshaw, but I think He's locked into being a 3-4 OLB while putting his hand in the dirt on obvious passing situations. How much time does he have as an end? He's not the guy we want at #10.

Is anyone still thinking DE in the first round? I was vocal about my support for both Coples and Upshaw but as usual forum members turn it into a polarizing issue because you can't like one guy without hating the other. I think I still prefer Coples over Upshaw but since the combine nobody is banging the drum for Upshaw anymore? Where is the love? Did the guy forget how to play football or do people think he might be a reach at #10 or a bad fit for our defense?

I really wish there was a world burner at DE this year that we could all root for to fall to us. Upshaw is a tweener. He really isn't the best fit for our system. I am leery of taking DEs who rely on one move to get to the QB. He looked terrible at the combine. I have doubts about his worth as a top 10 DE, he seems to be a better fit as a situational pass rusher out of the 3-4.

I don't put as much stock in the knocks on Coples. To me it just looked like he was playing not to get injured as he knew he'd be a high draft pick anyway. I can't say I fault him there. Anyone remember what happened to Mack from the Program? ;)

I'd venture to say Coples is the only DE worth taking at 10, except perhaps Ingram. He has the measurables and the size Buddy wants at the position.

I'd rather take Floyd at 10 considering the lack of a compelling option at 10. I'm not that crazy about the OTs likely to be available at 10. It all comes out to how you read the board laterally.

Edited by ndirish1978

Courtney Upshaw=Lamar Woodley. You gotta be a 3-4 team to get the proper "bang for buck" with Upshaw.

Yea in a 43 I think you end up with a Kelsay type impact. Long term starter, team captain, hard worker, and productive player but not an impact guy that you hope to find in the top 10.

I think that Melvin Ingram is a slam dunk for our team at #10 if he's there. I think our first pick is RGIII (trade up of course), Ingram or Floyd in that order. As for #41 (if we still have it), I could see them go OL, TE, DE, OLB. That will be another BPA pick.

I agree that Ingram is the best end, but no end in this year's draft appears to be an amazing pass rusher. If the bills end up with Ingram or Floyd I would not be disappointed, but as I said in other threads, the bills should draft DeCastro if they want an All Pro.

I believe WR is a need ....it takes soo many pieces to make a really good defense...many of switch you can address in free agency or in later rounds...... but offense is no more than one play-maker away

WR is definitely a need and I think Floyd might be the second best NFL candidate in the draft. He is certainly the one that has the best measureables of the top 4 or 5 candidates. Per Nix's comments I think we will be passsing on DE in the first round. An offensive tackle or WR Floyd seem like much more realistic choices now.

The offense is quite likley more than 1 piece away. There are a few positions that need to be addressed still. WR alone you could make a case for needing 2 more guys. Gailey runs plenty of 4 - 5 WR sets and other than Stevie Johnson and expected improvement of David Nelson we don't have anyone else that can be relied on.

Edited by PDaDdy

My preference is to get a DE instead of an OLB but I don't want either of them based on the limited amount of games I've watched them play. The combine just confirmed my suspicions about Upshaw's lack of athleticism. That's not to say he wasn't a great player in college because he was. It just means I have doubts about how his game transitions to a higher level of play.

Anyway, they both look like reaches at 10 at this point. Give me BPA and I won't be surprised if that's one of the OTs already mentioned in other threads. Regardless of what happens with Bell's contract.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree