Heading to Washington DC next month

mead107

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if they bloom early before the late March-early April fest kicks off... YIKES! This is the 100th year of the trees as a gift from Japan.

I was implying the Jefferson Memorial itself is still the main attraction.

The cherry blossoms are nice, but the Memorial itself was always my favorite.

(Note: I haven't been there since the WWII or MLK memorials opened)

Mead..onto DC and what to do..you know the obvious..but if you have never been to the Newsuem..do it. Yes there is an admission charge, but worth every penny. Go early in the morning, and plan on staying through the day..it is that friggen good.

I second the Newseum. I wasn't expecting much when we went there, but it was *AMAZING.* Saw part of the Berlin wall, 9/11 stuff, plus all the history you can stand. Plus, there's a Wolfgang Puck cafeteria in the place and the food is actually REALLY good (especially compared to other places on the mall).

I thought the tour of the capitol building was really cool too.

Honestly, there's so much stuff to do in DC. :)

BTW, I recently toured the Holocaust museum again with the family, prolly ben at least 10 years sense my last visit..i know people say don't go unless you are prepared to be down for the remainder of the day, but I do not get that. The new exhibit on Nazi propaganda is very, very, good.

We didn't go for that very reason. Handing you a card with information on someone from that era, only to find out if they live or die at the end (probably died) just isn't something I want to do on vacation...

Thanks for all the good advice.( I am not like some that tell you it is not needed.:devil: )

Hey I represent that remark.

Anyway check out the wine in Virginia. I was in DC a few years ago and did a lot of research on wineries there and there are some good ones (thank you Mr. Jefferson). I never made it to any seeing there was way too many other things to do when I was there but from what I saw in my research it's worth checking out.

Hey I represent that remark.

Anyway check out the wine in Virginia. I was in DC a few years ago and did a lot of research on wineries there and there are some good ones (thank you Mr. Jefferson). I never made it to any seeing there was way too many other things to do when I was there but from what I saw in my research it's worth checking out.

Trump took over the Kluge Estate and Vineyard, and is promising to make world class wines there.

http://www.trumpwinery.com/scripts/cpg.cfm/4

Barboursville also has great wines

The Capitol tour is very cool. Then take the metro to Arlington I'm pretty sure someone will rip this but I enjoyed riding the metro and it's convenient. The most vivid memories I have of recent dc visits were Arlington cemetery and watching competing protesters on the steps of the supreme court during the gore/bush deliberations. Democracy in action? Maybe. But definitely jaw droppingly interesting.

Can't say much for Va wines though. The sweet, fruity ones are supposed to be ok but dry reds are scarce and substandard in general. I don't think wines are of the best we have to offer..at least right now.

We didn't go for that very reason. Handing you a card with information on someone from that era, only to find out if they live or die at the end (probably died) just isn't something I want to do on vacation...

If you think that's bad, don't ever go to Dachau or Auschwitz. Nothing is even close to those places.

• 3 weeks later...