Wannstedt D - Front 4 Needs 2 Make A Difference

T master

Like a lot of us here I have been watching & listening to all Bills as much as i can & given a few things said over the past week or so in different interviews from Buddy Nix , Chan Gailey & Dave Wannstedt I got to thinking with the combine being here & the draft coming soon ..

Wannstdt said in his interview with BB.com that " For us to take a jump our D line needs to make a difference , our D line as a group needs to be a major factor" & if you look at the SB champion Giants thats what they had going for them - front 4 pressure & that's what got me thinking about Brockers from LSU ..

Buddy didn't seem real hyped on 2 of the top DE/LB mentioned at the combine b/c of there lack of prototypical NFL size & arm length , those 2 players being Upshaw & Ingram . I know Brockers is listed as a DT but i think he could play anywhere on the line which would give us more versatility up front ..

Given the way that Buddy has been in the past as far as taking the BPA at times i was wondering if any of you thought that if Brockers was there at our pick , would he be a good value at our pick & do you think we could go DT again this year ?

Everybody says the guy is a Monster !!

Imagine -- Carrington - Williams - Dareus - Brockers , OK I think that is a front 4 that would make a difference I put Brocker out on the end due to his 6'5' frame and long arms Which they could switch these guys up at different positions in our D line .. D Edwards is said to not fit real well b/c he is more of a 3/4 line man so if we let him go , we get Brockers with out first & then get a LB like Donte Hightower if he fell to the second or another top LB like Zach Brown ..

I think if we went with Brockers at #10 in the 1st round & top tier LB that would be a good start to our draft , what do you all think ?? Or would you go a pass rusher ??

Edited by T master

Like a lot of us here I have been watching & listening to all Bills as much as i can & given a few things said over the past week or so in different interviews from Buddy Nix , Chan Gailey & Dave Wannstedt I got to thinking with the combine being here & the draft coming soon ..

Wannstdt said in his interview with BB.com that " For us to take a jump our D line needs to make a difference , our D line as a group needs to be a major factor" & if you look at the SB champion Giants thats what they had going for them - front 4 pressure & that's what got me thinking about Brockers ..

Buddy didn't seem real hyped on 2 of the top DE/LB mentioned at the combine b/c of there lack of prototypical NFL size , those 2 players being Upshaw & Ingram . I know Brockers is listed as a DT but i think he could play anywhere on the line which would give us more versatility up front ..

Given the way that Buddy has been in the past as far as taking the BPA at times i was wondering if any of you thought that if Brockers was there at out pick , would he be a good value at our pick & do you think we could go DT again this year ?

Imagine -- Carrington - Williams - Dareus - Brockers , OK I think that is a front 4 that would make a difference I put Brocker out on the end due to his 6'5' frame and long arms Which they could switch these guys up at different positions in our D line .. D Edwards is said to not fit real well b/c he is more of a 3/4 line man so if we let him go , we get Brockers with out first & then get a LB like Donte Hightower if he fell to the second or another top LB like Zach Brown ..

I think if we went with Brockers at #10 in the 1st round & top tier LB that would be a good start to our draft , what do you all think ??

I mentioned Brockers as a possibility in another thread, and the overwhelming response was that it was unlikely that he could play DE in the 4-3. I don't know, the more tape I watch on him, the more I think he could play that position well. For his size, the guy can really get after the QB. He has to at least be in the conversation...

Given Buddy's comments about D-line and CBs, someone like Dre Kirkpatrick could be in play as well. I initially thought Upshaw should be the pick, but given his comments from yesterday, they could go DL, LT, or CB. Whatever they do, there will still be some good edge rushers available in R2.

Hmm, interesting thought. None of these guys are sure things, but there are a couple of things

that concern me with Brockers and the Bills. He his clearly a very impressive athlete. I think he'll

show very well at the Combine. However, he doesn't have a lot of playing time behind him and

, probably more important to me, he doesn't really resolve the need for DEs and OLBs.

If they took Brockers, he could play DE when they go to a 3-4 look. But, what would you do with

him when they are in the 4-3? Maybe he could play the run-stuffing LDE position - I don't know.

If he has to play DT in the 4-3 (ie isn't good at DE), then who does he displace? Dareus? Kyle WIlliams?

I don't think taking either of those guys off the field is a step in the right direction.

Now, if it's Brockers or a guy at DE, OLB or OT that the Bills rate significantly lower then I think

you still have to consider Brockers. I just wonder what kind of defense they'd be building...

Hmm, interesting thought. None of these guys are sure things, but there are a couple of things

that concern me with Brockers and the Bills. He his clearly a very impressive athlete. I think he'll

show very well at the Combine. However, he doesn't have a lot of playing time behind him and

, probably more important to me, he doesn't really resolve the need for DEs and OLBs.

If they took Brockers, he could play DE when they go to a 3-4 look. But, what would you do with

him when they are in the 4-3? Maybe he could play the run-stuffing LDE position - I don't know.

If he has to play DT in the 4-3 (ie isn't good at DE), then who does he displace? Dareus? Kyle WIlliams?

I don't think taking either of those guys off the field is a step in the right direction.

Now, if it's Brockers or a guy at DE, OLB or OT that the Bills rate significantly lower then I think

you still have to consider Brockers. I just wonder what kind of defense they'd be building...

Where does Chris Kelsay fit into this 4-3 scheme? Is he going to be a high priced back up DE?

Wannstdt said in his interview with BB.com that " For us to take a jump our D line needs to make a difference , our D line as a group needs to be a major factor" & if you look at the SB champion Giants thats what they had going for them - front 4 pressure & that's what got me thinking about Brockers from LSU ..

Buddy didn't seem real hyped on 2 of the top DE/LB mentioned at the combine b/c of there lack of prototypical NFL size & arm length , those 2 players being Upshaw & Ingram . I know Brockers is listed as a DT but i think he could play anywhere on the line which would give us more versatility up front ..

Given the way that Buddy has been in the past as far as taking the BPA at times i was wondering if any of you thought that if Brockers was there at our pick , would he be a good value at our pick & do you think we could go DT again this year ?

I think if we went with Brockers at #10 in the 1st round & top tier LB that would be a good start to our draft , what do you all think ?? Or would you go a pass rusher ??

Kelsay will have his hand down and will be our starting LDE....RDE is the only question mark

Kelsay will have his hand down and will be our starting LDE....RDE is the only question mark

I don't know....Having Kelsay as a starter is not necessarily the best thing. He's shown that he is a very marginal player and unfortunately part of the reason we haven't made the playoffs for the past 12 years is because our roster has been filled with MANY marginals players. I am really hoping this team can find someone better to start in front of Kelsay, or at least someone to push him to produce.

Imagine -- Crick - Williams - Dareus - Brockers , OK I think that is a front 4 that would make a difference I put Brocker out on the end due to his 6'5' frame and long arms Which they could switch these guys up at different positions in our D line .. D Edwards is said to not fit real well b/c he is more of a 3/4 line man so if we let him go , we get Brockers with out first & then get a LB like Donte Hightower if he fell to the second or another top LB like Zach Brown ..

Fixed and I'd be stocked with Brockers.

I mentioned Brockers as a possibility in another thread, and the overwhelming response was that it was unlikely that he could play DE in the 4-3. I don't know, the more tape I watch on him, the more I think he could play that position well. For his size, the guy can really get after the QB. He has to at least be in the conversation...

I think he could play it too, some guys think if a guy is over 300 somehow he can't play 43DE. Reggie White who was the best DE of all time was 6'5" 300 so now it's time for the resurgence of the big Ends.

For two Super Bowls against the Patsies the Giants have shown the league how to beat them: apply pressure with your front 4....this is no secret and yet Defenses continue to struggle to actually DO THAT!! So, I fully agree with Wanny, but the key is getting it done! As for Brockers, hey, I believe in Nix, Whaley, and the people they've brought in to assess talent at the Pro level and from the college ranks, so let's just hope another full Off season permits this FO and Ralph to continue to build a winner and all the coaches and players are on the same page...