Evaluate the 2010 Draft

San-O

Trying to be objective:

Review Torell Troup

Selection # 2. 2nd round, pick 9, 41 overall.

Two years, IR'd 2011.

2010: 23 combined tackles. No sacks.

2011: 8 combined tackles. No sacks.

Grade: D-

http://www.nfl.com/player/torelltroup/496869/profile

Playing on one of the worst D's in the league the past two years.

:unsure:

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Trying to be objective:

Review Torell Troup

Selection # 2. 2nd round, pick 9, 41 overall.

Two years, IR'd 2011.

2010: 23 combined tackles. No sacks.

2011: 8 combined tackles. No sacks.

Grade: D-

http://www.nfl.com/player/torelltroup/496869/profile

Playing on one of the worst D's in the league the past two years.

:unsure:

We had just one pick in the 2010 draft ? :unsure:

Troup has been a complete non-factor thus far in his pro career.

This is quite obvious, but I'd really like to see what he can do this year now that he is "NFL strong" (something he wasn't in year 1 ) and healthy (something he wasn't last year). I know HOFers are anointed by us fans at every training camp, but he was very impressive before he dinged up his hand in drills.

I don't know if he has played enough to evaluate his play specifically. It is unfortunate he has been held out because of back injuries, which explains the lower numbers on Troup's stat sheet. Most here, and most anywhere else, would agree that the 2010 draft has been a sad repeat of most of the Bill's drafts the past ten, twelve years. 2010 was no exception to this trend of poor drafts. It could be added that the projected switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense might also reduce his value going forward. Having said that, a strong defensive line is one built with numerous substitutes, position and situation players; the Giants fielded a strong example of this scenario on both super bowl runs. Hopefully, Troup can get into the mix for this coming year and start seeing some reps at the pro-level outside of practice.

As a way to fulfill the topic's title let's take a look at another defensive lineman out of the 2010 draft.

Review Arthur Moats

Selection # 6. 6th round, pick 9, 178 overall.

Two years, Back - Up Defensive Lineman

2010: 33 combined tackles. 2.5 sacks.

2011: 29 combined tackles. 2.5 sacks.

Grade: B

For a sixth round pick the Bills have gotten a good amount out of Arthur Moats. The sometime linebacker and defensive lineman has been shifted all over the Bills defensive front. Acting as a multi-positional player Moats has mostly been called onto the field to spell winded lineman and outside linebackers. He is perhaps best known among Buffalo Bills fans by the nickname "Don't Cross the Moats" for the trivia answer that most NFL fan's know him for; namely, Moats' crushing hit on Brett Favre that ended that quarterback's games started streak at 297. I gave the back-up linebacker/defensive lineman pick a B because I believe that grading draft picks should take into consideration the round the player was taken in. For a sixth round player, Moats has been good for the Bills. While there is some concern over Moats' place on the team as it transitions to the 4-3 the pick has been a solid one so far.

I don't know if he has played enough to evaluate his play specifically. It is unfortunate he has been held out because of back injuries, which explains the lower numbers on Troup's stat sheet. Most here, and most anywhere else, would agree that the 2010 draft has been a sad repeat of most of the Bill's drafts the past ten, twelve years. 2010 was no exception to this trend of poor drafts. It could be added that the projected switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense might also reduce his value going forward. Having said that, a strong defensive line is one built with numerous substitutes, position and situation players; the Giants fielded a strong example of this scenario on both super bowl runs. Hopefully, Troup can get into the mix for this coming year and start seeing some reps at the pro-level outside of practice.

As a way to fulfill the topic's title let's take a look at another defensive lineman out of the 2010 draft.

Review Arthur Moats

Selection # 6. 6th round, pick 9, 178 overall.

Two years, Back - Up Defensive Lineman

2010: 33 combined tackles. 2.5 sacks.

2011: 29 combined tackles. 2.5 sacks.

Grade: B

For a sixth round pick the Bills have gotten a good amount out of Arthur Moats. The sometime linebacker and defensive lineman has been shifted all over the Bills defensive front. Acting as a multi-positional player Moats has mostly been called onto the field to spell winded lineman and outside linebackers. He is perhaps best known among Buffalo Bills fans by the nickname "Don't Cross the Moats" for the trivia answer that most NFL fan's know him for; namely, Moats' crushing hit on Brett Favre that ended that quarterback's games started streak at 297. I gave the back-up linebacker/defensive lineman pick a B because I believe that grading draft picks should take into consideration the round the player was taken in. For a sixth round player, Moats has been good for the Bills. While there is some concern over Moats' place on the team as it transitions to the 4-3 the pick has been a solid one so far.

Very nice.

Alex Carrington anyone?

Hers one for Danny Batten

selection #7 Round 6 Pick 192

Injury ended his rookie year before he could get on the park

Last season he started 4 games played all 16 had 25 tackles 0.5 sacks

Grade: C-

Batten has done whats required of him but thats it, once merriman went down and Kelsay was injured we had to turn to him. He gets no push no the Qb as all cant really set the edge. His half sack came in the shutout of Washington. The only reason he doesnt have a fail mark is because of when he was drafted, Batten hasnt done anything eye-catching, so many NFL fans would not even know of him

Edited by aussiebills

I also have high hopes for TT. The one thing that makes me think that he still has a chance is that he seems to have a great attitute and work ethic.

Having said that, I wish we drafted the guy that was drafted one pick later . . . .

Wow. It took 17 posts to even reference our #1 pick in that draft. The draft so far hasn't been bad since it was their first one and it takes a while to get a feel for your talent. Troup AND Easely's injuries have made it tough to evaluate but Spiller is a starting RB in this league and is the heir apparent to 31 year old FJ. Hopefully they split a lot more time and we run more plays for the RBs in general. Both are play makers and this offense desperately needs play makers.