Robert Meachem

iLikeChix

I feel that UFA Robert Meachem would be a great addition to the Bills roster. Meachem has the size (6'2'' 210 lbs) and deep speed (4.39 forty) that the Bills are looking for in a receiver. Meachem is a young player who proved he can be a productive (especially downfield) when called upon in New Orleans. With so many other options in New Orleans such as Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles,etc it has been hard for Meachem to really showcase his full potential. Because of this, I feel the Bills could sign Meachem for a very good value relative to the other FA receivers such as Vincent Jackson. Here is a scouting report for Meachem http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/431497

My Mock Draft so Far

1. DE. Quinton Coples. North Carolina. 6’6’’ 285 lbs

2. WR. Rueben Randle. LSU. 6’3’’ 208 lbs.

3. OLB. Bruce Irvin West Virgina.6’ 3’’ 246 lbs.

4. T. Mark Reynolds. BYU 6’4’’ 305 lbs.

5. CB. Donnie Fletcher. Boston College. 6’1’’ 195 lbs

Edited by iLikeChix

better recievers out there.

would rather have v jackson, bowe, garcon, Colston, Lloyd, or Manningham, even though they will cost more.

Ya your right they may be better but there price tag is at the top of the market & if you think for one minute that Ralph is going to OK signing a $10 Million a year WR from FA your nuts , hell he won't even sign SJ to that , plus we don't have enough available to spend for VJ or a Mario Williams in FA !!

Well written post.

One thing is for certain, the Bills need to sign some PROVEN wr talent. If they can bring Stevie back, there is still a huge need for another competent Wr. Here is hoping they sign a guy to play w Stevie.

I could see the Bills making a play for a Meachum.

Your draft looks very good as far a need base address...not certain the players are the best choices

would rather have v jackson, bowe, garcon, Colston, Lloyd, or Manningham, even though they will cost more.

I strongly disagree with your first and last guys. V Jackson is the most inconsistent WR in football, he is a very good deep threat, not very good at everything else. He had 3 great games this past year, and 13 in which he was mostly invisible. I don't see him fitting in with the Bills. Manningham has been overrated since his Michigan days. He drops more balls than SJ, has less speed, and doesn't play tough. Manning has made him look serviceable, but he's not IMO. SJ is twice as good as Manningham will ever be. I think Manningham would be hard pressed to keep a starting job on most teams, he certainly didn't keep it on the Giants.

I love the guys in between though, I was pissed that the Bills didn't make a move for Lloyd last year, I thought he would be perfect, and would have been cheap. Now the Pats will probably get him. Bowe and Garcon I also think would fit in nicely with the Bills offense. Most importantly though, they should still sign SJ AND get one of those guys.

Meachem has potential, but it's really hard to tell how good a guy is playing in that system, with that QB (same with Colston).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I like Meachem but I think that Garcon is the best FA wide receiver for the Bills, if I had my choice.

All of the other receivers out there like your Meachems and your Vincent Jacksons have had great quarterbacks throwing to them so you have to evaluate whether they can perform without a Brees and Rivers arm throwing their way.

Garcon had the equivalent of a fan from the stands throwing balls from the QB position and excelled. He has proven he can perform regardless of the skill level at QB and that is a valuable commodity.

Garcon had the equivalent of a fan from the stands throwing balls from the QB position and excelled. He has proven he can perform regardless of the skill level at QB and that is a valuable commodity.

Garcon at only 6' doesn't strike me as one of those "He's open even when he's covered" guys that Nix talked about.

Not knocking the receiver, just saying that Bowe and VJ seem to be that kind of guy as opposed to Garcon.

I like it. Seems to drop a lot of passes, but you make a compelling case.

What in the world is the deal with your avatar/screen name combo?

It's a combo of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey (I must have thought that was funny two years ago). I'm not sure how my picture came up on the Avatar.

I like this idea as well. I don't know much about his college play as one mentioned he sucked at UT worry about that if it's true cuz he may be right about RM getting under looked at my D-fenses with all the others on the team.

I like that we could sign him and SJ. Still have money for a DL or CB. To the people that say their are many better WR out there... no crap. Yea I'd love having Bowe and V. Jackson but that means we don't sign Stevie. Maybe in a fantasy world we sign SJ and get V. Jackson but that is not going to happen.

Meachem is a realist choice and we can keep Stevie. If we sign V. Jackson it's a wash out... Next year we will be saying well now we need to sign a guy to compliment Jackson... I like Meachem and I like Lee Evans... I know Evans coming back for cheap sounds crazy but hey he prob wont have many people looking at him after last year and he is not too old. 30yo. He has a fan base here and is a deep threat. As long as he knew he was a number two guy or even three on the depth chart.

With all that said. I like RM too. Good post he is on my want list as well along with a CB or a DL (that can pass rush) and a OT in the draft... Or sign Bell and draft other passrusher in the draft but at 10 I don't see a great pick so I am leaning towards not signing bell and drafting... damn his name slipped my head the tackle from stanford. I am really excited aabout ourt o-line this year!

The only reason he makes plays is cause he's the forgotten guy with all the Saints other weapons. He sucked at UT, is only an average NFL WR at best is is not worth a big free agent payday. Hell no to Meachem!

I don't think that Meachem "sucked" at UT. Below is an excerpt from his scouting report.

-In 2006, he earned All-American and All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors.

-Ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 99.85 yards per game receiving

-He led Tennessee with a career-high 71 catches for a school single-season record 1,298 yards (18.3 avg), including 11 touchdowns.

-NFLDraftscout.com

I like this idea as well. I don't know much about his college play as one mentioned he sucked at UT worry about that if it's true cuz he may be right about RM getting under looked at my D-fenses with all the others on the team.

I like that we could sign him and SJ. Still have money for a DL or CB. To the people that say their are many better WR out there... no crap. Yea I'd love having Bowe and V. Jackson but that means we don't sign Stevie. Maybe in a fantasy world we sign SJ and get V. Jackson but that is not going to happen.

Meachem is a realist choice and we can keep Stevie. If we sign V. Jackson it's a wash out... Next year we will be saying well now we need to sign a guy to compliment Jackson... I like Meachem and I like Lee Evans... I know Evans coming back for cheap sounds crazy but hey he prob wont have many people looking at him after last year and he is not too old. 30yo. He has a fan base here and is a deep threat. As long as he knew he was a number two guy or even three on the depth chart.

With all that said. I like RM too. Good post he is on my want list as well along with a CB or a DL (that can pass rush) and a OT in the draft... Or sign Bell and draft other passrusher in the draft but at 10 I don't see a great pick so I am leaning towards not signing bell and drafting... damn his name slipped my head the tackle from stanford. I am really excited aabout ourt o-line this year!

Meachem was a 1st round draft choice and an extremely productive player at UT. The "sucked" comment does not have any basis. Plus, Nix loves taking players that were previously high on his board. It is not a certainty that Meachem was high on his board, but there is a good possibility based on Buddy's preference towards tall and fast receivers. His choice to bring in Kraig Urbik was purely based on where he had Urbik slotted in an earlier NFL Draft.

Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe are definitely more proven than Meachem. I think it's highly unrealistic that the Bills could get Jackson, Bowe, Garcon, Colston, or Lloyd. I would not want to see Manningham on the Bills and do not think that he is better than Meachem.

I strongly disagree with your first and last guys. V Jackson is the most inconsistent WR in football, he is a very good deep threat, not very good at everything else. He had 3 great games this past year, and 13 in which he was mostly invisible. I don't see him fitting in with the Bills. Manningham has been overrated since his Michigan days. He drops more balls than SJ, has less speed, and doesn't play tough. Manning has made him look serviceable, but he's not IMO. SJ is twice as good as Manningham will ever be. I think Manningham would be hard pressed to keep a starting job on most teams, he certainly didn't keep it on the Giants.

I love the guys in between though, I was pissed that the Bills didn't make a move for Lloyd last year, I thought he would be perfect, and would have been cheap. Now the Pats will probably get him. Bowe and Garcon I also think would fit in nicely with the Bills offense. Most importantly though, they should still sign SJ AND get one of those guys.

Meachem has potential, but it's really hard to tell how good a guy is playing in that system, with that QB (same with Colston).

Agreed that stevie is way better than those two. Just not a fan of meachem. He just doesn't seem to be a recieving threat, and it seems like more of a cheap option than a real upgrade. And I like jones on our team, but I don't like him as a starter. Our starters should be Stevie, someone else, and nelson with jones and whoever as the backups with chandler as TE. that seems like a stable core to me. Personally, I think Garcon would be our best option, but like someone else said, it doesn't fit what Nix was talking about. most of the others seem more like a pipe dream. Bowe will probably stay in KC, loyed might end up going to the Pats* since he knows mcdanials well. Manningham will probably get an overpaid contract (not here) because of his superbowl catch. I don't know why, but I feel like he will end up in cincy or san fran. Garcon will probably stay in indy if they let manning walk, becuase they will need all the help they can get for a young QB. And something makes me feel like Vincent jackson will end up in St louis. And then, like a lot of us, stevie just might end up in san fran. and of course, desean jackson and welker are staying with their teams.

Colston is the one reciever I can't get a feel for where he is going. Not sure how much wiggle room the saints will have after the brees signing, plus they have other FAs to sign. I am almost hoping that if they don't resign him, san fran does and that gives us a good chance to keep stevie. They are so many wideouts out there, stevie might not have as many options as he is expecting.

Meachem just seems like a player that "if we want him, we can have him" type deal. I don't think people are going to demand his sercices and I don't think he will cost that much. But I don't think he will make any difference at all, and if we lose stevie, our recievers will just be worse.

overall, That is just silly speculation on my part.

Garcon had the equivalent of a fan from the stands throwing balls from the QB position and excelled. He has proven he can perform regardless of the skill level at QB and that is a "valuable commodity".

Moreso for us i will assume you intend. :devil:

Agreed that stevie is way better than those two. Just not a fan of meachem. He just doesn't seem to be a recieving threat, and it seems like more of a cheap option than a real upgrade. And I like jones on our team, but I don't like him as a starter. Our starters should be Stevie, someone else, and nelson with jones and whoever as the backups with chandler as TE. that seems like a stable core to me. Personally, I think Garcon would be our best option, but like someone else said, it doesn't fit what Nix was talking about. most of the others seem more like a pipe dream. Bowe will probably stay in KC, loyed might end up going to the Pats* since he knows mcdanials well. Manningham will probably get an overpaid contract (not here) because of his superbowl catch. I don't know why, but I feel like he will end up in cincy or san fran. Garcon will probably stay in indy if they let manning walk, becuase they will need all the help they can get for a young QB. And something makes me feel like Vincent jackson will end up in St louis. And then, like a lot of us, stevie just might end up in san fran. and of course, desean jackson and welker are staying with their teams.

Colston is the one reciever I can't get a feel for where he is going. Not sure how much wiggle room the saints will have after the brees signing, plus they have other FAs to sign. I am almost hoping that if they don't resign him, san fran does and that gives us a good chance to keep stevie. They are so many wideouts out there, stevie might not have as many options as he is expecting.

Meachem just seems like a player that "if we want him, we can have him" type deal. I don't think people are going to demand his sercices and I don't think he will cost that much. But I don't think he will make any difference at all, and if we lose stevie, our recievers will just be worse.

overall, That is just silly speculation on my part.

Colston is a BEAST!! The Bills should do everything in their power to sign him. He has size and great hands. He is not a burner, but knows how to always get open. I would go after Colston and Meacham. And resign Stevie. Use Derrick Hagan and David Nelson as your 4th and 5th receivers. Donald Jones STINKS. He is not an NFL receiver. Worse hands I have ever seen.

And if we can't sign Stevie, use the money to bring in 3 Free agent receivers. No reason not to. I like a trio of Colston with either Meacham, Manningham and Garcon. We have to go bold.