Silly buzzed question

Pilsner

Ok I've been pondering this for a while. Not seriously but enough tho to make a post on a slow night. It seems to me that since the 80's or perhaps early 90's a noticeable number of African Americans have been given names with additional prefixes. For example LaRon McClain, JaMarcus Russell, DaNorris Searcy, MarShawn Lynch... and so on...

That's all cool in my book but my question is... have peeps been given names like this all during the 20th century? Or is this a new thing? And if new then why and what's the cause? I haven't noticed this before the 80's. I'm a history buff so this has caught my attention. Perhaps this has been the norm for decades and I never noticed?

Anyone have ideas on how this came to be? I'm just a man of curiousity. Very odd curiousity but curiousity nonetheless.

I blame the Pontiac LeMans

Ok I've been pondering this for a while. Not seriously but enough tho to make a post on a slow night. It seems to me that since the 80's or perhaps early 90's a noticeable number of African Americans have been given names with additional prefixes. For example LaRon McClain, JaMarcus Russell, DaNorris Searcy, MarShawn Lynch... and so on...

That's all cool in my book but my question is... have peeps been given names like this all during the 20th century? Or is this a new thing? And if new then why and what's the cause? I haven't noticed this before the 80's. I'm a history buff so this has caught my attention. Perhaps this has been the norm for decades and I never noticed?

Anyone have ideas on how this came to be? I'm just a man of curiousity. Very odd curiousity but curiousity nonetheless.

I believe the trend you're referring to was part of a larger movement to define black identity in the U.S. People began adopting traditional African names which were then adapted into modern versions and spellings which over time gaveway to choosing names based on the uniqueness and/or cool factor.

Edited by Jauronimo

I believe the trend you're referring to was part of a larger movement to define black identity in the U.S. People began adopting traditional African names which were then adapted into modern versions and spellings which over time gaveway to choosing names based on the uniqueness and/or cool factor.

Thanks Jauronimo. Your reply seems to make the most sense.