compensatory picks

I know there is speculation on the formula. But I don't think anyone can truly pin point exactly how it works. Who knows which parts get weighed more heavily than others. Maybe Poz's contract out weighs how many people we bring in? I don't know. I really don't think anyone should try to speculate either because it seems like a waste of time. Just be happy if we get surprised by one :)

We will get no compensatory picks this year:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/6/2686334/2012-compensatory-draft-pick-predictions

We lost 2:

Whitner

Poz

We gained 3:

Kirk Morrison

Tyler Thigpen

Brad Smith

(Note: Barnett doesn't count against us, as he was cut by his former team)

Even though you can make the argument that the 2 we lost signed much larger contracts combines than the 3 we signed, it doesn't matter at least in the eyes of the NFL awarding compensatory picks.

If the Bills hadn't signed 2 of the 3 FA's they did last summer, they woul've picked up a 3rd rounder, for the loss of Poz (due to the size of contract he signed with the Jaguars).

I'd rather have a 3rd rounder this year than Morrison and Thigpen, but hindsight is always 20/20

Remember signing Stanford Routt this year will not count against the team team as a gain this year because he was cut (see Nick Barnett). So if the Chiefs signed Routt and lose Brandon Carr to a big deal (very likely) it would be a net loss of 1 player and they'd pick up a 3rd rounder next year. This makes signing Routt a little more attractive.

The comp pick could still happen. In comp formulas minimum contract players aren't added into the formula. If Morrison is a minimum player he wont count towards it. Also I thought that players signed after the season started didn't count either. This I could be completely wrong about but if that is true Morrison wouldn't count either

I have to believe that losing 2 front line defensive starters counts more than a backup QB and a kick returner. Morrison does not count.

He has a radio show with Rob Dibble which makes him relatively famous. The bigger the "name" the more it is going to count.

I know there is speculation on the formula. But I don't think anyone can truly pin point exactly how it works. Who knows which parts get weighed more heavily than others. Maybe Poz's contract out weighs how many people we bring in? I don't know. I really don't think anyone should try to speculate either because it seems like a waste of time. Just be happy if we get surprised by one :)

It gets predicted with 100% accuracy every year before the NFL releases it. It's pretty easy but most fans don't understand it.

I have to believe that losing 2 front line defensive starters counts more than a backup QB and a kick returner. Morrison does not count.

The first qualifier is body vs body. Only if you lose more bodies does quality matter. Tom Brady is the same as a 3rd string lineman when determining if we are eligible for a pick.

We will get no compensatory picks this year:

http://www.mockingth...ick-predictions

We lost 2:

Whitner

Poz

We gained 3:

Kirk Morrison

Tyler Thigpen

Brad Smith

(Note: Barnett doesn't count against us, as he was cut by his former team)

Even though you can make the argument that the 2 we lost signed much larger contracts combines than the 3 we signed, it doesn't matter at least in the eyes of the NFL awarding compensatory picks.

If the Bills hadn't signed 2 of the 3 FA's they did last summer, they woul've picked up a 3rd rounder, for the loss of Poz (due to the size of contract he signed with the Jaguars).

I'd rather have a 3rd rounder this year than Morrison and Thigpen, but hindsight is always 20/20

Remember signing Stanford Routt this year will not count against the team team as a gain this year because he was cut (see Nick Barnett). So if the Chiefs signed Routt and lose Brandon Carr to a big deal (very likely) it would be a net loss of 1 player and they'd pick up a 3rd rounder next year. This makes signing Routt a little more attractive.

Barnett does not count as a free agent loss to the Packers

However I think he counts as an add to the Bills since he was signed as a free agent

However I think he counts as an add to the Bills since he was signed as a free agent

100% true. The only thing I'm not sure about is the window for qualified signings and losses. Typically it traces with the window to sign tenders I believe, datewise - but with the lockout I'm not totally clear on the end of the window. Morrison would likely be the only effected.

Edited by NoSaint

Not true. If he doesn't count against the Packers, how can he count against the Bills? As in all aspects of sports, you must a "L" to offset a "W". Kinda like accounting....

Barnett was cut by the Packers, thus he does not count against them - that is true. Because he was cut, he was not a unrestricted free agent as a result of to lapsed contract with his former team unable to sign him when he signed with another team. He was a UFA because his former team terminated his contract, thus they aren't due any potential compensation. Barnett cannot count against the Bills for the same reason. The equation needs to balance on both sides.

Not true. If he doesn't count against the Packers, how can he count against the Bills? As in all aspects of sports, you must a "L" to offset a "W". Kinda like accounting....

Barnett was cut by the Packers, thus he does not count against them - that is true. Because he was cut, he was not a unrestricted free agent as a result of to lapsed contract with his former team unable to sign him when he signed with another team. He was a UFA because his former team terminated his contract, thus they aren't due any potential compensation. Barnett cannot count against the Bills for the same reason. The equation needs to balance on both sides.

thats absolutely not true. it doesnt have to net zero for any reason. he was an unrestricted free agent signing, but he was not an expiring contract. he qualifies in buffalo, but not in green bay. the only issue possible is for the timing of some of the league year dates with the lockout.

thats absolutely not true. it doesnt have to net zero for any reason. he was an unrestricted free agent signing, but he was not an expiring contract. he qualifies in buffalo, but not in green bay. the only issue possible is for the timing of some of the league year dates with the lockout.

i figured i'd reference the guy who seems to do the best job of predicting the comp picks every year to settle this.

AdamJT13 says,

"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

Based on this, Barnett does not qualify for the comp equation. He was released by his old team, so he was not a true Unrestricted Free Agent. He does not qualify, period. Not for the Packers, not for the Bills. If a free agent "qualifies", he counts for the old team and the new team. If he does not "qualify", he does not count for either team.

As for Kirk Morrison, he signed for $1.1 mil, above the vet minimum, but signed on Aug. 24th, a month after free agency began but only 2 weeks before the season started. As you said, the timing is unclear, but my guess is that he does not qualify to count against the Bills since he was one of the last true free agents to sign.