"The Colts can simply lose the game

zow2

That's pretty much the consensus on the Colts message board. They want no part of Buffalo and would much prefer to play Denver in the playoff opener. They also won't "show" Denver anything special in order to win and so on top of playing backups they will run a fairly vanilla game plan. Denver should win easily (although who would have predicted the Jags to lose a meaningful game at home to Houston?). We can complain all we want but the Steelers will bring a similar mindset to Buffalo and make our game easier than it should be.

It's going to boil down to the Rams/Jets game. Everyone needs to hope the Rams beat Philly tonight to set up a meaningful game for St. Louis next week. Anything can happen though. Remember last year when Minnesota just needed to beat a horrible Arizona team on the last day but lost?

That's pretty much the consensus on the Colts message board.  They want no part of Buffalo and would much prefer to play Denver in the playoff opener.  They also won't "show" Denver anything special in order to win and so on top of playing backups they will run a fairly vanilla game plan.  Denver should win easily (although who would have predicted the Jags to lose a meaningful game at home to Houston?).  We can complain all we want but the Steelers will bring a similar mindset to Buffalo and make our game easier than it should be.

It's going to boil down to the Rams/Jets game.  Everyone needs to hope the Rams beat Philly tonight to set up a meaningful game for St. Louis next week.  Anything can happen though.  Remember last year when Minnesota just needed to beat a horrible Arizona team on the last day but lost?

180123[/snapback]

This town is still not over that debacle :blink:

LOL..Denver has been beating the weaker opponents they have been facing too. Just like us.

I don't think we are that much better than Denver. Perhaps Marginally, but not by a lot. I think in their division the only team that is really hurting is the Oakland Raiders. But, Denver has been beating the teams they are supposed to beat as of late. Just like we have been doing. They darn near beat SD a few weeks ago who darn near beat Indy yesterday. Don't underestimate the Broncos.

What you guys are missing is that if the Jets lose, and Denver wins, we play Indy.

If they BOTH lose, we don't. We play San Diego.

So Indy won't guarentee themselves anything by losing.

Also, teams don't just throw games. Hopefully (actually I'm praying) Peyton will play for 1 quarter.

What you guys are missing is that if the Jets lose, and Denver wins, we play Indy.

If they BOTH lose, we don't. We play San Diego.

So Indy won't guarentee themselves anything by losing.

Also, teams don't just throw games. Hopefully (actually I'm praying) Peyton will play for 1 quarter.

180138[/snapback]

That's not exactly true stojan. We are pretty much destined to face the Colts.

Zow2, You may be right....hope not!

I've been trying to imagine some scenario where finishing 13 and 3 instead of 12 and 4 aids them regarding home field, but haven't found anything.

They get the nod against SD even if SD ends up 12 - 4.

However, I think a lot of teams dislike DEN through the years, because of their cheap-shot injury-causing style of O-line play. Unfortunately, the game is at DEN.

180138[/snapback]

Denver sat their starters last year in the final game of the year. They got blown out 3-31 by GB. The week prior to that they handed Indy their ass 31-17.

Denver is so bad and Indy so good that I believe even playing on the road, with a vanilla game plan and playing all their subs, Indy is going to win that game.

People forget that these second and third-stringers are going to be playing hard--for many of them, it's one of their few chances to show their stuff.

180172[/snapback]

Yes, but backup QB's facing a team trying to get in the playoffs? Denver started Jarious Jackson last year at QB against GB. The guy was HORRIBLE. And this was after the announcers saying "expect good things from this kid today", "he's been pumped up to show the world something today"....he was pulled by the half for Danny Kannel.

To expect Jim Sorgi to give us life in Denver is crazy talk.

LOL..Denver has been beating the weaker opponents they have been facing too. Just like us.

I don't think we are that much better than Denver. Perhaps Marginally, but not by a lot.

The Bills are a MUCH better team than the Broncos. You need only look at the 6 (soon to be 7) game winning streak they're on, and the margin of victory over their opponents.

And ideally if the Colts DO rest their starters with the intention of not having to play the Bills, they'll suffer a similar fate as Denver did last year. I just hope they realize what happened last year and don't do that.

The Bills are a MUCH better team than the Broncos.  You need only look at the 6 (soon to be 7) game winning streak they're on, and the margin of victory over their opponents.

And ideally if the Colts DO rest their starters with the intention of not having to play the Bills, they'll suffer a similar fate as Denver did last year.  I just hope they realize what happened last year and don't do that.

180182[/snapback]

Denver is an enigma right now. I never expected them to dominate Tennessee like they did, yet they lose to Oakland at home, get waxed by a better-than-their-record KC team, barely beat Miami at home, then wallop the Titans on the road. Go figure....I'd agree - Buffalo looks like a better team than Denver right now.

Another example of resting your starters too much being a bad idea - Denver in 1996. Easily the best team in the AFC, they "rested" the final few games and then got shocked by the Jaguars. Keeping your players sharp and healthy is a tough balance. I hope because of something like this, we'll see Indy's best next week. Unfortunately, we might see Pittsburgh's best, too.

Even if Peyton plays a quarter, how big a lead can the Colts build? Does anyone really think they can get up by more than ten points against a motivated Denver team, while playing vanilla schemes? Does anyone really think Denver will blow this game against Indy's scrubs? ALL they have to do is win, even by one point! They're going to pull out all stops to do just that. And they'll be playing against vanilla schemes and vanilla scrubs. AND, as mentioned before, the entire Colts Nation wants to play Denver next week in the playoffs instead of Buffalo.

If you're a gambler, this is as close to a moneyline lock as there is.

I might add... the comparison to Minnesota vs Arizona last year doesn't make me any more hopeful because:

a) Shanahan might not be all that and a bag of chips without Elway, but he's no dumbass like Mike Tice... Vikings have repeatedly choked under Tice's leadership

b) Denver will be playing at home with a crowd exhorting them on to make the playoffs... Vikings were on the road

c) Vikings were playing an Arizona team that was motivated, playing their starters and regular schemes, and wanting to finish the season on a high note. Colts won't care at all. They just won't. And they'll want to avoid the Bills.

Denver is an enigma right now. I never expected them to dominate Tennessee like they did...

I was praying the Titans would beat the Broncos, but when you can't even dress 45 players and lose another 5-6 during a game, you have NO chance, even against the 49'ers (well, maybe not). Now while the Bills face Steelers backups and the Broncos face Indy backups, I'd say the Bills could beat the Steelers starters in Buffalo whereas the Broncos would lose BADLY to the Colts' starters in Indy. Like I said, I just hope Indy takes a look at last year to see what can happen if you rest your starters and end up facing the same team in the playoffs.

The Bills are a MUCH better team than the Broncos.  You need only look at the 6 (soon to be 7) game winning streak they're on, and the margin of victory over their opponents.

And ideally if the Colts DO rest their starters with the intention of not having to play the Bills, they'll suffer a similar fate as Denver did last year.  I just hope they realize what happened last year and don't do that.

180182[/snapback]

I have to agree. I think Denver is the worst of the three Buffalo, Jets, Broncos but they may get in anyway. They are just way to inconsistant and the main reason for that is Jake Plummer. It sucks if they get in and we don't.