Manny Lawson

switz1610

I think Lawson would be a key signing this offseason. He played in a 3-4 with san francisco but is much more suited as a 4-3 Sam LB position. The Sam LB to me is our next biggest void on the D besides the pass rush. He's 28, had some injuries in the past but has been healthy the last few seasons. I think he is worth that risk and would be a solid move by the FO to solidify the front 7. Here is a quick write up:

Manny Lawson, OLB, Bengals. Age: 28.

As expected, Manny Lawson thrived in the 4-3. He was a stout run defender as a two-down strongside linebacker in Cincinnati's stop unit.

Shep and Barnett would be our 3-down LBs and Lawson on early/run downs. He signed a 1-year $3mil deal with Cincy, lock him up for 3 or 4 years at around that rate and we instantly have stability in our LB corps.

I say go after Mario or Avril along with Lawson in FA. On O, re-sign stevie and go after a meachem/manningham/garcon type WR. Draft Upshaw who is also strong against the run and play him at LDE with Mario or Avril at RDE (blindside). That would make for a pretty stout front 7.

Barnett Shep Lawson

(Williams/Avril) Dareus Williams (Upshaw/Kelsey)

Round 2 would be pretty wide open, I think CB is probably where we will get the most value and one of the following: Dennard (Neb), Gilmore (SC), Jenkins (N. Bama) and Minnefield (UVA) will be available at 42. OT is another possibility but there might be better value in Round 3 for that (Potter (BSU, Adcock (OSU), Datko (FSU)).

Also from RotoWorld

Bengals agreed to terms with LB Manny Lawson on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson projects the former 49er as Cincinnati's Week 1 starter at strong-side 'backer. Lawson, 27, racked up nine sacks and a pick in San Francisco over the past two seasons. He has some Adalius Thomas to his game as a cover linebacker, which should appeal to Thomas' old coach, Marvin Lewis. Lawson has enough speed to run with tight ends and is a quality run defender. It's a very nice value pickup for the Bengals.

It looks like he's got cover skills too and length (6'5"), we may actually have someone to match up against Gronk.

I think Lawson would be a key signing this offseason. He played in a 3-4 with san francisco but is much more suited as a 4-3 Sam LB position. The Sam LB to me is our next biggest void on the D besides the pass rush. He's 28, had some injuries in the past but has been healthy the last few seasons. I think he is worth that risk and would be a solid move by the FO to solidify the front 7. Here is a quick write up:

As expected, Manny Lawson thrived in the 4-3. He was a stout run defender as a two-down strongside linebacker in Cincinnati's stop unit.

Shep and Barnett would be our 3-down LBs and Lawson on early/run downs. He signed a 1-year $3mil deal with Cincy, lock him up for 3 or 4 years at around that rate and we instantly have stability in our LB corps.

I say go after Mario or Avril along with Lawson in FA. On O, re-sign stevie and go after a meachem/manningham/garcon type WR. Draft Upshaw who is also strong against the run and play him at LDE with Mario or Avril at RDE (blindside). That would make for a pretty stout front 7.

Barnett Shep Lawson

Round 2 would be pretty wide open, I think CB is probably where we will get the most value and one of the following: Dennard (Neb), Gilmore (SC), Jenkins (N. Bama) and Minnefield (UVA) will be available at 42. OT is another possibility but there might be better value in Round 3 for that (Potter (BSU, Adcock (OSU), Datko (FSU)).

Excellent post. Getting a couple of quality free agent pickups, especially on defense, will give us much more flexibility in the draft. I, as you, would like the selection of a player such as Upshaw, which with some added free agent additions would give a good boost to our currently overmatched defense.

If the Bills go the route you are suggesting I would prefer taking an OT with our second round selection, assuming the player rating matches the draft position.

If the Bills don't in any meaningful way participate in the free agency market that in itself tells you what the Wilson/Littman mindset is regarding their business. Few people are expecting a free agency splurge but they do expect some reasonable action to help this floundering franchise move forward.

This would be one of the better under the radar signings that the Bills could make. This guy is awesome when healthy. He would probably be my favorite free agent signing at this point because the SAM LB position is actually not an easy one to fill with a stud. Lawson is a star. Just for perspective... I would rather have Lawson over Avril. And I like Avril best next to Jackson, Bowe and Mario Williams.

Also forgot to mention that Mario Williams and Manny played together at NC State and were drafted the same year.

Ironically, that was the year we traded back up to get another NC State DL, John McCargo. Hopefully McCargo doesn't sand bag us when they reach out to him to get his critique of the organization.

Barnett Shep Lawson

I'm all for signing Lawson.

I was frustrated last off-season when we didn't sign him-

he certainly is much better than players we were planning to put on the field.

Now we have another chance.

1329072091[/url]' post='2382090']

Barnett Shep Lawson

It would be amazing if we got all those guys. Never happen. Ever. But the signing of Lawson is possible and should be looked into for sure. He's a very good player at a position on need that we wouldn't have to break the bank for. I do think we'd have to pony up around 4.5-5.5 per year to lock him up long term.

Edited by NewEra