Fitz and Lin with Harvard ties

CowgirlsFan

I don't know much about the guy, but as heralded as he was coming out of high school, I'm surprised he got no serious looks by any college programs. As we learn every March, there are plenty of small schools that show up with some pretty good talent.

Maybe it's something like, if a guy is super smart, recruiters and scouts just assume he won't have the heart for sports. Kind of like that really smart football player who came out of Florida State a few years ago. Dude was a Rhodes Scholar who wanted to take that year at Oxford, and then enter the draft. Even though he had all kinds of talent, his focus on education was viewed as a negative.

These assumed connections between "big-time programs" and "pro potential" are just dumb. They play ball EVERYWHERE in this country (hello, Fred Jackson and Coe College) and making it in the NFL/NBA/MLB takes a combination of enough athletic ability plus knowing what you're doing plus being in the right place/system at the right time. Joe Montana in SF is an HOFer. Joe Montana those same years with the Jets is just another loser.

Yea - stupid statistics. How's math supposed to say that a guy at LSU or bama is more likely to succeed then a guy at Coe college or Harvard. Just because that guy is likely bigger, stronger, faster, and coached at a higher level with experience against better competition doesn't mean he's any more likely to succeed. It's all scheme.... And heart.... And intangibles! We know guys at the big programs lack that because everything's handed to them.

I don't know much about the guy, but as heralded as he was coming out of high school, I'm surprised he got no serious looks by any college programs. As we learn every March, there are plenty of small schools that show up with some pretty good talent.

Maybe it's something like, if a guy is super smart, recruiters and scouts just assume he won't have the heart for sports. Kind of like that really smart football player who came out of Florida State a few years ago. Dude was a Rhodes Scholar who wanted to take that year at Oxford, and then enter the draft. Even though he had all kinds of talent, his focus on education was viewed as a negative.

Smarter than the coach is often frowned on by insecure coaches.

Myron Rolle is who your thinking of by the way

What's interesting is that a "focus on education" hasn't seemed to hurt the perception of Andrew Luck. He made it clear he wanted to stay at Stanford (most Ivy-like school west of the mississippi) and finish his degree in architectural engineering or whatever, but he's still considered the slam dunk #1 pick. Maybe it's different for QBs?

What's interesting is that a "focus on education" hasn't seemed to hurt the perception of Andrew Luck. He made it clear he wanted to stay at Stanford (most Ivy-like school west of the mississippi) and finish his degree in architectural engineering or whatever, but he's still considered the slam dunk #1 pick. Maybe it's different for QBs?

A qb with elite physical skills plays by different rules than a middle of the road safety