2012 starting defensive line

Kaenon

Who's it going to be?

Will Dareus and Williams both play 3-tech inside?

Will Kelsay jump back to defensive end, or will his tenure in Buffalo come to an end?

Perhaps the Bills will draft another DE early to replace the aging Kelsay (Coples?).

One man I think many people are forgetting about is the former 3rd round pick Alex Carrington.

With Dareus and Williams probably both inside, where would former 2nd round pick Torell Troup fit into the mix, assuming he can come off his injuries and be a force. Would that allow Dareus or Williams to spend a little time playing 5-tech in certain packages.

What do you all think about the defensive line depth when healthy? Dareus, Williams, Troup, Johnson, Carrington, Edwards and Kelsay.

They both can't play the 3 tech, one will play shade or 1 tech (likely Williams), the other the 3.

Kelsay-Williams-Darues-Coples

Carrighton-Edwards-Truop-Kiawanka

Sorry Spencer Johnson

Interesting I wish we could still have schobol

We need to go youd o D-line

I'm guessing this is supposed to be Kiwanuka? He's not a free agent.

They both can't play the 3 tech, one will play shade or 1 tech (likely Williams), the other the 3.

I'm guessing this is supposed to be Kiwanuka? He's not a free agent.

They can both line up on the outside shoulder of different guards...

I'm prob gonna get hammered for this but...

Merriman-Williams-Dareus-Kelsay would be my projection based on the roster right now. I think Carrington will spell as a de as that is what he did in college. I def feel that Merriman is a de in a 43 for as long as he can stay healthy. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Moats moved back to de in definite passing downs.

Anyone but Kelsay. He has done squat for last 2 years and next to squat before that. Only QB he could get to was Tebow.

I think Carrington has gobs of potential.

I was thinking that at the beginning of last year and was happy to see him get a bunch of starts as people were getting hurt... But I think I'm a bit disappointed in what we saw??? Not much production and very few differentiating plays.... hmmm, what do we think on him in greater detail?

Who's it going to be?

Will Kelsay jump back to defensive end, or will his tenure in Buffalo come to an end?

Perhaps the Bills will draft another DE early to replace the aging Kelsay (Coples?).

One man I think many people are forgetting about is the former 3rd round pick Alex Carrington.

With Dareus and Williams probably both inside, where would former 2nd round pick Torell Troup fit into the mix, assuming he can come off his injuries and be a force. Would that allow Dareus or Williams to spend a little time playing 5-tech in certain packages.

What do you all think about the defensive line depth when healthy? Dareus, Williams, Troup, Johnson, Carrington, Edwards and Kelsay.

Since Kyle already played the three and is smaller and quicker it makes sense to keep him there.

We are going to need the aging Kelsay as he is the only 43 end we have and is effective at it. Maybe Carrington can be effective out there but we shall see. Coples hopefully will be gone cuz he can be a loafer and its hard to motivate guys who don't want to.

Troup is a backup and may get cut if he doesn't get it together.

Depth is OK but we really need some 43 ends.

I'm prob gonna get hammered for this but...

Merriman-Williams-Dareus-Kelsay would be my projection based on the roster right now. I think Carrington will spell as a de as that is what he did in college. I def feel that Merriman is a de in a 43 for as long as he can stay healthy. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Moats moved back to de in definite passing downs.

ROFLOL....You mean Shawne "Good Gamble" Merriman? We'll see :sick:

Anyone but Kelsay. He has done squat for last 2 years and next to squat before that. Only QB he could get to was Tebow.

I think Carrington has gobs of potential.

It's only potential so far. According to PFF Premium, Carrington had 5 positive games (Weeks 1 and 3 the only green ones of those 5, if you know PFF's score system)and 11 negative ones. Only one positive game in his last nine, so he needs coaching up. Inge and Giff Smith, the D-Line coaches, have their work cut out for Carrington.

Give them a DE to work with (Upshaw, Coples, Still, Ingram) in RD#1 and another in RD#2 (Crick, Andre Branch).

How about a D-Line of (from blind side LDE): Coples-Dareus-K Williams-Branch?

What the Bills have right now

LDE Alex Carrington, Jarron Gilbert, Lionel Dotson, Dwan Edwards

DT Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Torell Troup, Kellen Heard, Spencer Johnson, Jay Ross

RDE Shawne Merriman, Kyle Moore, Chris Kelsay

LDE is OK, DT is OK to very good depending on return from injuries, RDE probably a disaster

Free Agency -DEs Tier#1 young- Mario Williams, Calais Campbell, Cliff Avril, Tier#1 older Robert Mathis, John Abraham

Tier#2- Jeremy Mincey, Mark Anderson, Dave Tollefson, Frostee Rucker,

formerly highly regarded but now young busts- Jamaal Anderson 26, Derrick Harvey 25, Amobi Okoye 25, Quentin Groves 27

Draft - I'm not totally in love with any of the Defensive linemen in this draft- Quinton Coples and Michael Brockers have tremendous upside but I doubt either will dominate their first year with them seemingly very raw in their techniques - Ingram and Upshaw will probably be better as OLBs I have grave concerns as to their effectiveness against the type of LTs they are going to go up against in the NFL- comparisons to Freeney and Dumervil may not be valid, Freeney ran the forty in 4.38-4.48 and had 33inch arm length, Dumervil might be a better comparison with 4.75 speed but still has freakishly long arms for his height

His 6-foot-6 wingspan allows Elvis Dumervil to keep opponents at arm's length. He isn't so fortunate holding teammates at bay.

"All those jokes," the Denver Broncos sackmaster lamented with a wry smile and shake of his head last week.

He has been kiddingly called "Gorilla Arms" by fellow linebackers. Told he can scratch his kneecaps without bending over, too.

also a 30 rep bench.

We will have to wait for the combine but neither Mercilus, Branch or Curry impress me as physically dominate guys.

1328826302[/url]' post='2380689']

What the Bills have right now

LDE Alex Carrington, Jarron Gilbert, Lionel Dotson, Dwan Edwards

DT Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Torell Troup, Kellen Heard, Spencer Johnson, Jay Ross

RDE Shawne Merriman, Kyle Moore, Chris Kelsay

LDE is OK, DT is OK to very good depending on return from injuries, RDE probably a disaster

Free Agency -DEs Tier#1 young- Mario Williams, Calais Campbell, Cliff Avril, Tier#1 older Robert Mathis, John Abraham

Tier#2- Jeremy Mincey, Mark Anderson, Dave Tollefson, Frostee Rucker,

formerly highly regarded but now young busts- Jamaal Anderson 26, Derrick Harvey 25, Amobi Okoye 25, Quentin Groves 27

Draft - I'm not totally in love with any of the Defensive linemen in this draft- Quinton Coples and Michael Brockers have tremendous upside but I doubt either will dominate their first year with them seemingly very raw in their techniques - Ingram and Upshaw will probably be better as OLBs I have grave concerns as to their effectiveness against the type of LTs they are going to go up against in the NFL- comparisons to Freeney and Dumervil may not be valid, Freeney ran the forty in 4.38-4.48 and had 33inch arm length, Dumervil might be a better comparison with 4.75 speed but still has freakishly long arms for his height

also a 30 rep bench.

We will have to wait for the combine but neither Mercilus, Branch or Curry impress me as physically dominate guys.

Did you read that Kelsey is a RDE? He's always played on the left side.

They can both line up on the outside shoulder of different guards...

I suppose one could lineup at safety also, point is it's not very conventional. Wouldn't be gap sound.

Edited by Carey Bender

Who's it going to be?

I think Kelsay, Edwards, and Johnson are gone. We sign a middle of the pack DE FA with some upside at a reasonable price. We draft a DE or LT in the first (best available) and in the second we draft a DE or QB (best available) and if we don't get a DE in either of the first two rounds we draft one in the third.

Our DT starters will be Williams and Dareus backing up them will be Troup and Heard

our DE starters will be Carrington and a Draft pick/FA backing up them will be Draft pick/FA and Moats

Here is a food for thought, what if Moats added 10 lbs and we moved him to DE and use his best attribute (rushing the passer) I compared him to Freeny (6'1", 268lbs, 4.40 forty, 40" vertical) Moats (6'2", 250lbs, 4.57 forty, 36.5 vertical). I know build and stats don't mean anything and we all know Moats is just a football player and can get after the QB. I think it is worth a try and I think he can be good there, although he might have to put on about 10lbs; and I think he would be great in passing situations.

Interesting questions. Cant wait to see what the Bills do this offseason. In my opinion..

Who's it going to be?

-- I think there is a chance he may be cut to save some money but my gut says they will keep him around; especially since they are headed towards a 43 defense. He isnt worth his salary but alot of it will count against the cap even if you cut him so unless you spend that money on a significant replacement they are most likely making the right decision in keeping him around.

-- i'm not sure if he will be there at 10?

-- Alot is being said about Carrington's potential on this messageboard; but until he improves i dont think he deserves a starting role- and it wouldnt be fair to him to expect him to produce big numbers if he was put into one either. Give him a larger role next year but keep him as a backup for one more season. Then the team will have a much clearer picture as to what to expect from the kid.

-- I hope he comes back strong. Only time will tell- im sure the Bills are hoping for the best but they better prepare for the worst. As for having Dareus or Kyle play the 5t.. i dont know about Kyle but i would love to see Dareus moved around as much as possible on passing downs. San Fran loves to do it with Smith and he creates all sorts of Havoc doing it. Anything to get those guys on a 1-1 situation can only benifit the Bills.

-- I think if we had an elite or even above average passrusher; this would be a great D-Line. The problem is how to get one? Draft or free agency? I guess we will find out.