I enjoyed a Super Bowl with great clean hits & minimal referee int

simpleman

Maybe I just did not see it, but it seemed that while there were a number of vicious hits in the game, they were overwhelmingly clean and professional, the way a game should be played. And the refs did not get in the way of the game. I thought it was great to see a game without all the dirty plays and the ref’s interference in the game. Regardless of who won, I thought it was a great example of how professional football should be played.

Too bad it couldn't be like that in every other game.

Which, to me, smacks of a huge need for more consistency.

Especially WRT pass interference. Moore clobbered that dude while the pass was still ~3 feet away. No call.

McKelvin a few times this year (I believe the most obvious one was in the second Jets game iirc) played the WR perfectly in every respect. No physical contact. But he got flagged because he "didn't turn his head" as the announcers said. Which is BS.

The strange and wildly varied application of pass interference gives WAY too much power to refs (this season more than any other)... and IMO, is the league's dirty little open-secret of how they keep games close and "exciting."

Sterling Moore got away with pass interference twice on 3rd downs. That holding call against Boothe was SHADY on 3rd and inches.

Chung got away with a PI (on Nicks, I think). One of the non-calls on Moore was terrible. And the holding call was horrendous. Glad the Giants overcame these calls/non-calls, though.

Agreed for the most part. I thought the holding call against Boothe was pretty poor. It looked to me like he blocked Wilfork cleanley and Wilfork fell on his own so they just decided to throw a flag. It was a big momentum swing at the end of the half there. Otherwise, it was mostly called cleanly and the hitting was great. You could tell these teams didn't like each other.

I didnt think it was that good of a game and thought both conference championship games were way better

The Pats didnt play that well down the stretch and really shouldnt have been there...they got a gift matchup with Denver then got lucky beating the Ravens

Oh well the mandatory the referee's tried to give the game to the Pat's posts. I wondered who kept notes on the Moore "interferance".

Like I said yesterday - chin up, man. There's always next year for your Pats*.

Also, "interferance"?

I didnt think it was that good of a game and thought both conference championship games were way better

The Pats didnt play that well down the stretch and really shouldnt have been there...they got a gift matchup with Denver then got lucky beating the Ravens

This was one of the main reasons I was rooting against the Pats*.... besides the fact that you know they are the Pats*. The Giants may have been 9-7 but to make the super bowl they DOMINATED the Falcons and Packers then beat (yes it was lucky) the 49ers. The Pats* were gift wrapped a subpar Broncos team and then beat the Ravens (luck). I just felt all of the accolades and love fest they surely would have been given (Belicheat and Brady each with 4 super bowl wins, greatest of all time questions, Patriots best dynasty ever, etc...) would have been very undeserved. beating 1 team with a winning record the entire year should not get you to the Super Bowl but it did.

on a side note.... Robert Cohen I don't want to know how much you lost bc I'm sure it was more than I make in a year but I told you so :nana: Bookie offered a parlay with Giants +2.5, under 55, Giants less than 28 points, Pats* less than 31 points and I got paid! Only 10 to win 100 but that's only because you haven't given me that job yet haha ;)

This was one of the main reasons I was rooting against the Pats*.... besides the fact that you know they are the Pats*. The Giants may have been 9-7 but to make the super bowl they DOMINATED the Falcons and Packers then beat (yes it was lucky) the 49ers. The Pats* were gift wrapped a subpar Broncos team and then beat the Ravens (luck). I just felt all of the accolades and love fest they surely would have been given (Belicheat and Brady each with 4 super bowl wins, greatest of all time questions, Patriots best dynasty ever, etc...) would have been very undeserved. beating 1 team with a winning record the entire year should not get you to the Super Bowl but it did.

that is pathetic.

In the post-season, the Giants opponents had won a total of 51 regular season games. That's an NFL record, I believe.

Was anyone else frustrated when Bradshaw scored that TD? At the SB party I was at we were all rooting for the Giants but I was the only one who wasn't celebrating when he scored the TD instead of downing it, running down the clock, and kicking the field goal. Glad it still worked out for a Giants win but if some of those passes on that last Patrtiots drive had gone just a little differently (like the first play that Branch almost caught) they would have been in a lot better position to win than a hailmary on the final play.

Was anyone else frustrated when Bradshaw scored that TD? At the SB party I was at we were all rooting for the Giants but I was the only one who wasn't celebrating when he scored the TD instead of downing it, running down the clock, and kicking the field goal. Glad it still worked out for a Giants win but if some of those passes on that last Patrtiots drive had gone just a little differently (like the first play that Branch almost caught) they would have been in a lot better position to win than a hailmary on the final play.

i think they wanted to score a TD just not on that play

a lot of things can happen on any play but moreso on a FG try

It was frustrating at first, but the chance to see Brady get pummeled by the pass rush one more time made it all worth it. :thumbsup:

Agreed, I think that the NFL got somewhat of a black eye for all of the bad calls in the playoffs,

and Goodell didn't want another one. I am not saying that he told them to swallow the whistle, but

I bet he advised them to back off a little. The more flags they throw, the more they leave themselves open to

criticism. I thought that there were a number of non calls, especially pass interfernce on the Pats,but it was generally

going both ways. Those shouldn't be calls in the first place, and it was refreshing to just watch them play.

I thought for sure they were going to call a late hit on Brady, on the play that the Giants got the saftey,

the fact that the didn't, and then flagged him for intentional grounding, I knew that this game was going to be called

a bit different.

Edited by Cookiemonster