liberal litmus test

was at at a dinner party recently when a poltical discussion started. the women all saw trouble coming and went in another room. one of the guys began spouting the standard hannity fare of liberal media, entitlement mentality, get what they deserve etc, etc, etc. i interjected that before we went any further, he should be aware that i held very different views on everything he mentioned and that i was a liberal. he then asked me two questions: do you own a gun? and, do you own a bible? when i answered yes to both he told me i wasn't a liberal. so what do you all think of this litmus test? personally, i had to laugh and tried to change the subject to football, thankfully, with some success.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was at at a dinner party recently when a poltical discussion started. the women all saw trouble coming and went in another room. one of the guys began spouting the standard hannity fare of liberal media, entitlement mentality, get what they deserve etc, etc, etc. i interjected that before we went any further, he should be aware that i held very different views on everything he mentioned and that i was a liberal. he then asked me two questions: do you own a gun? and, do you own a bible? when i answered yes to both he told me i wasn't a liberal. so what do you all think of this litmus test? personally, i had to laugh and tried to change the subject to football, thankfully, with some success.

I think a better litmus test would be to ask them if they had a hammer and a sickle.

Clearly you're just a toothless hillbilly redneck clinging to your guns and your bible masquerading as a liberal for clearly racist purposes. You, sir, have not only failed the liberal litmus test, but you also fail at life.

...or that guy is a freakin' moron if he believes that owning guns and believing in God have anything to do with core political beliefs. Either way.

I own a Bible, no gun. Guess I'm more liberal than you. I also own a Koran (15th century, illuminated, from Bokhara apparently. Very nice.) Don't know what that makes me.

I think your friend's a knucklehead.

I think a better litmus test would be to ask them if they had a hammer and a sickle.

geez, maybe i better rethink how i characterize myself.

I own a Bible, no gun. Guess I'm more liberal than you. I also own a Koran (15th century, illuminated, from Bokhara apparently. Very nice.) Don't know what that makes me.

I think your friend's a knucklehead.

confused.

not a friend. a friends new husband. poor her.

I was having a similar discussion with a friend the other day, only we were trying to figure out what the best litmus test for a free society is. We kept coming back to the right to end one's own life.

Back on topic, I think what your friend's husband was talking about was more of a litmus test for leftism. Looks like I might have to resurrect my PPP PSA pretty soon.

and all along I thought the liberal litmus test was blaming everyone else for your failures including the evil rich 1%, while demanding that everyone pays their fare share to be re-distributed to those who need it most. And if you disagree your a racist.

But to the OP your friend is clearly confused thats it's possible that there people who share things in common that he likes, that have different political views.

Guy sounds like and idiot so the fact that you've chosen him as a friend makes great sense to me. :devil:

Oh and I don't own a bible or a gun or believe in god but I'm pretty far to the right.

Edited by Chef Jim

Also, do you own more than one gun? Handgun or long gun? how much ammo do you have on hand? If it is functional how many times have you used it in the last year. Do your friends own guns?

he didn't ask. but if i tell ya i have one shotgun, for hunting and clay pigeons and i suppose protection (it's not in my bedroom but if a coyote were killing one of my dogs i'd blow it's head off), and i have a couple boxes of shot (turkey shot and cheap multipurpose for skeet), might i be a liberal or redneck or both? many friends own guns and i haven't shot this year. so what's your decision? i'm interested in your threshold criteria.