Buddy loves versatility ( A Draft Discussion)

ryan42790

Whether you like him or not, Buddy Nix really isn't that hard of a person to read. Looking over the past 2 years as the GM, one thing Buddy loves is players who are very versatile. Whether it be the player can play in multiple positions, or multiple schemes, Buddy just seem to love those type players. Now looking into this years draft, I've been really thinking hard on what The Bills will do with a top 10 pick. I figured the best thing to do would be to pick the best player available, but that doesn't seem to be Buddy's style really, so the real thing to ask is, whose a believable draft pick (NO LUCK, OR RG3!!!) Is the most versatile? For that i think will be the pick the Bills will take.

I don't know. I'd probably look back at his selections with San Diego to see if that is in fact, true.

One thing that I think that you forget, is that on offense Chan likes gimmicks.

And on defense, we were transitioning from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base, and you would want players who have versatility to help ease the transition.

Fair enough, but I look at players like Aaron Williams, who can be a threat at both CB, and Safety. C.J Spiller being both a RB and a KR, Dareus who was proven to be effective in both DE, an d NT in multiple formations, even a late round pick in Justin Rogers is proving to be very versatile.

I probably shouldn't have stated it as a fact, thats my fault, but it truly is what I think.

One thing that I think that you forget, is that on offense Chan likes gimmicks.

I agree and don't understand that philosophy, as it seems sooner rather than later

the league figures little gadget players, and these type of offenses out. I wish he never signed

Brad Smith. He has no place on the Bills, Sucks as a receiver and really sucks as a

return man.

I agree and don't understand that philosophy, as it seems sooner rather than later

The league figures little gadget players, and these type of offenses out. I wish he never signed

Brad Smith. He has no place on the Bills, Sucks as a receiver and really sucks as a

Return man.

I think a legitimate argument could be made that both Chan and Buddy sacrifice actual talent for versatility.

The most versatile players are the multi-position players where there is the LEAST dropoff at their second position. This does it for me: http://www.drafttek.com/BigBoardPg1.asp

Look down around 7-16 in Round 1, and these players have tons of dropoff at their second position, or have no second position (less versatile):

Devon Still (-59 point dropoff)

Fletcher Cox (-182)

Courtney Upshaw (OLB only)

These players can play 2 or more positions with little dropoff:

Luke Kuechly (weak ILB, strongside ILB)----but already have Sheppard

Quinton Coples (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE)

Zach Brown (OLB43, Weakside ILB)

Reilly Reiff (LOT, ROT)

Mike Adams (ROT, LOT)

I am not counting Michael Floyd, as there is no difference between a feature receiver and possession receiver.

Given Nix's penchant for versatility, players already drafted, his comments about O-Line being set, the possibility of a 4-3, and need for defensive pass rush, I'm moving toward Coples, maybe Brown, in RD1.

Read my comments in the next DraftTek mock, likely out by the end of the week.

I don't know. I'd probably look back at his selections with San Diego to see if that is in fact, true.

Buddy had nothing to do with selecting in San Diego. John Butler and Dwight Adams drafted the players, with input from the coaches. All Buddy did was go sniffin for players and handed over his notes & tape on players and expressed his opinion. If he did good, once & a while he got to sit on John's or Dwight's lap.

Buddy had nothing to do with selecting in San Diego. John Butler and Dwight Adams drafted the players, with input from the coaches. All Buddy did was go sniffin for players and handed over his notes & tape on players and expressed his opinion. If he did good, once & a while he got to sit on John's or Dwight's lap.

That is not what happens in the war room....

read the book "the GM" by Tom Callahan. The scouts don't just "hand over notes and tape" and that is it. The team's big board isn't made by just two people. in the war room, when they are deciding who to pick, it isn't something decided by one or two people. There are several people in the room helping with who to pick. In the book, Accorsi says the 1st pick in one where he would have the most say, and after that, he would listen more to the rest of the staff.

I am not saying that Nix should get any credit, good or bad specifically in SD, but to say all he did as assistant gm was "pass along notes and game tape" is a very naive comment.

I guess I don't see Nix's MO as selecting guys who are "versatile." He just drafts a bunch of guys from the SEC or who the Bills coaches in the senior bowl. On defense, he's tried to get a bunch of guys that fit the 3-4.

Except with his first draft with the bills when he drafted a bunch of small school prospects. those were headscratchers from the begining.

In terms of building the defense, I believe that Whitney Mercilus or Nick Perry would be the most versatile players available. IMO....both of them could play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. Upshaw is more of a pure 3-4 OLB, and lacks the speed to get around the edge against NFL LT's.

He does the same 40 time as LaMarr Woodley.

that is his 40 time. in pads, he doesn't seem to be very fast on the field. He is very talented, but his speed looks average in pads compared to other players.

I think upshaw will be a great player in the nfl, and I don't think he would be too much of a reach if we drafted him. I think he is a fairly safe pick, and would be great for us.

He does the same 40 time as LaMarr Woodley.

40 time (straight line speed) is not always the best indicator of "game speed."

In response to the OP, I think guys like Mercilus and Perry are far more versatile that Upshaw. Upshaw is a hell of a football player, and I'd be happy to see him in a Bills uniform, but I don't think he could play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. I think Mercilus and Perry could do that.

that is his 40 time. in pads, he doesn't seem to be very fast on the field. He is very talented, but his speed looks average in pads compared to other players.

I think upshaw will be a great player in the nfl, and I don't think he would be too much of a reach if we drafted him. I think he is a fairly safe pick, and would be great for us.

I like him a lot, and Hightower too will be great imo. Again, Barnett is the only credible starting LB on the roster imo. This really is crazy, and I just can't see how we can win a majority of our games if this isn't corrected.

I would take Mercilus and Perry over upshaw as well. I doubt they will still be there though. I even have reservations about upshaw being available with our pick. I know a lot of people are thinking otherwise, but it is so hard to tell this early. Last year we thought dareus was a lock at pick number 2 until like an hour before the draft. I think at this point, we won't know much where upshaw will be taken until we sources start squeeling to reporters how their team's big board is set up. even then, it wont be certain.

I like him a lot, and Hightower too will be great imo. Again, Barnett is the only credible starting LB on the roster imo. This really is crazy, and I just can't see how we can win a majority of our games if this isn't corrected.

agreed. I like upshaw. there is reason for concern that he won't live up to the top ten spot, but I think he is a safe enough pick to where he would be a difference maker on this team and be the pass rusher we need.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

In a whole two drafts under Nix, what makes you so confident saying that he doesn't pick Best Player Available in round 1? That goes absolutely against everything I've read and heard of his draft philosophy.

the league figures little gadget players, and these type of offenses out. I wish he never signed

return man.

Yep. That Welker guy in New England... no one worries about him anymore!

Fair enough, but I look at players like Aaron Williams, who can be a threat at both CB, and Safety. C.J Spiller being both a RB and a KR, Dareus who was proven to be effective in both DE, an d NT in multiple formations, even a late round pick in Justin Rogers is proving to be very versatile.

I probably shouldn't have stated it as a fact, thats my fault, but it truly is what I think.

Name a team that you feel doesn't draft versatile players? I don't think there has been an emphasis on versatility by this organization.

Whether you like him or not, Buddy Nix really isn't that hard of a person to read. Looking over the past 2 years as the GM, one thing Buddy loves is players who are very versatile. Whether it be the player can play in multiple positions, or multiple schemes, Buddy just seem to love those type players. Now looking into this years draft, I've been really thinking hard on what The Bills will do with a top 10 pick. I figured the best thing to do would be to pick the best player available, but that doesn't seem to be Buddy's style really, so the real thing to ask is, whose a believable draft pick (NO LUCK, OR RG3!!!) Is the most versatile? For that i think will be the pick the Bills will take.

for a guy that likes versalile players, how could he possibly have failed to draft some OTs that could move inside to play OG.

Instead he goes into 2011 with no NFL quality OTs on the roster-

It's not versatility he's drafting, its mediocrity

The most versatile players are the multi-position players where there is the LEAST dropoff at their second position. This does it for me: http://www.drafttek.com/BigBoardPg1.asp

Look down around 7-16 in Round 1, and these players have tons of dropoff at their second position, or have no second position (less versatile):

Devon Still (-59 point dropoff)

Fletcher Cox (-182)

Courtney Upshaw (OLB only)

These players can play 2 or more positions with little dropoff:

Luke Kuechly (weak ILB, strongside ILB)----but already have Sheppard

Quinton Coples (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE)

Zach Brown (OLB43, Weakside ILB)

Reilly Reiff (LOT, ROT)

Mike Adams (ROT, LOT)

I am not counting Michael Floyd, as there is no difference between a feature receiver and possession receiver.

Given Nix's penchant for versatility, players already drafted, his comments about O-Line being set, the possibility of a 4-3, and need for defensive pass rush, I'm moving toward Coples, maybe Brown, in RD1.

Read my comments in the next DraftTek mock, likely out by the end of the week.

I don't agree with your analysis of Upshaw who I think could play DE, OlB MLB (4-3). I would really like to see Upshaw as a classic MLB in a 4-3. I think he would be a tackling machine. Half London Fletcher/Half Ray Lewis.