Bills Salary Cap Article

syrcuse315

On spending the cap:

We can spend the cap. We can and we will.

On spending up to the cap and if he can elaborate:

I’m not limited except by the cap. Nobody’s told me, nobody’s ever told me you can’t do this or you can’t do that. There are a lot of things that go into it as I’m sure you guys know. One of them is, and the thing that I ask our cap people, Jeff Littmann and Jim Overdorf, the thing I ask them is if we sign this guy for this amount then is it going to cost us this player and this player. That’s kind of the way I try to make my decision. Are we going to be able to keep the core and important guys or are we just going to get this guy and can’t get anybody else.

On having conviction in his voice when saying the team will spend up to the salary cap:

Absolutely. Listen guys, I want to win. That’s what I came here for. That’s what I want to do. I want to do whatever I can to help that along and I’m saying “I” and there are a lot of us involved. We have a lot of good people and personnel and a lot of good help. And we’ll use all of our resources and then make the best decision we can.

On if that’s Mr. Wilson’s philosophy as well:

Yeah. I always meet with him at the end of the year but I always inform him of everything we’re doing anyway. He either agrees or he doesn’t. But he’s never really sat up and said, “You can’t do that,’ or, ‘No.’ It’s been very good so far.

On if next year’s CBA rule that teams have to spend 99% of the cap next year affects the way the team structures contracts this year going forward:

Probably. But again if you’re going to use it all anyway then you look down the road. You’d like to extend guys that are the core of your team ahead of time… that’s kind of our philosophy. I told you this when I came here: We’ll try to build through the draft, we’ll try to keep our good players and then we’ll try to sign guys a little ahead of time. Once they hit the market [free agency] March13th, we’re one of 32 teams. We won’t have an advantage over anybody else. They may know people on our team but we’re all in the same boat once they hit the market.

On if he’s talking about spending cash to the cap:

Yes, exactly.

On no amortization bonuses on the team’s own books and that still being in place:

Right.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-General-Manager-Buddy-Nix/037507a7-365d-401e-9d19-477e152d0082

disappointing to see the Pats in such good cap shape...But I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Other than Brady they have no big time players signed to huge contracts. They have lived off of a combination of very poor drafting and washed up last shot free agents on defense. While that hasn't worked out too well, they have always avoided paying for any sort of big time weapons for Brady and that has worked out just fine...They got Moss on the cheap when they had him, Branch is practically free...It will be interesting to see how they handle Welker, who should obviously be due for a huge pay day...

Once Brady goes, I have a feeling like this team will crumble back into oblivion though...

As far as the Bills go, it's nice to hear Nix say that they will spend to the cap this year...Make it count...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Despite what the article says, I also believe that the Pats* have a pretty large number of FA's to sign in addition to the guys listed in the article--like Koppen and Connolly on the O-line, Ninkovich at LB, Shaun Ellis and Antuan Molden (if they want them back).

Interesting. And how in the world is the NE projected cap 5.6 million below the Bills. If that is true, hats off the the Pats organization

We need to put those guys to work in Washington & i don't men the Redskins !! They could show those num nuts how to live beneath their means , still have money left over & being the best while doing it !!!!! But that will never happen :doh: !!!!!!

Just astounding that the Pats are in such good shape.

the thing that is TRULY astounding about the patriots is how scared of them buffalo bills fans are.

i have said this in every thread this season - they suck now.

they didn't beat anyone with a winning record until last week, when they beat the broncos, 45-10.

we beat the same broncos team 40-14 a few weeks earlier.

we beat the pats this year. we were a stevie johnson benching away from sweeping them this year.

they have wide receivers playing in their secondary.

before beating the broncos, their last 3 playoff games were a loss to the jets, a blowout by the ravens, and the end of their undefeated season.

they haven't won a super bowl in 8 years.

even when they were winning super bowls, anyone who lives in new england who isn't a patriots fan (like ME) knew, just absolutely KNEW, something wasn't right about the way they won. they were NOT better than the eagles that year, and they should have been blown out by the rams. they always won with smoke and mirrors, and what do you know, turns out they were cheating the whole time. say what you want about "man i wish the bills could cheat like that" but it is what it is, and that is this: no other team in the league cheated like that, the patriots were HEAVILY penalized, and they haven't won a goddamn thing since then.

STOP BEING SCARED OF THE PATRIOTS.

we have been a bad team for a decade, as have the dolphins. the patriots have bennefitted from a weak division for a decade. that run is coming to a close. they will get destroyed by the ravens this weekend. book it, gamble your mortgage on it. they are an old, fading team.

stop being scared of them.

I guess, like Ralph... "Kraft is cheap"

The Pats have always been cheap, in fact they've maintained success that way.

The only guy the Pats have ever given big money to is Brady, and he's not the highest paid QB in the league.

Remember Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law & Curtis Martin, to name a few, all left because they wanted big contracts and the Pats would not give it to them.

the thing that is TRULY astounding about the patriots is how scared of them buffalo bills fans are.

i have said this in every thread this season - they suck now.

they didn't beat anyone with a winning record until last week, when they beat the broncos, 45-10.

we beat the same broncos team 40-14 a few weeks earlier.

we beat the pats this year. we were a stevie johnson benching away from sweeping them this year.

they have wide receivers playing in their secondary.

before beating the broncos, their last 3 playoff games were a loss to the jets, a blowout by the ravens, and the end of their undefeated season.

they haven't won a super bowl in 8 years.

even when they were winning super bowls, anyone who lives in new england who isn't a patriots fan (like ME) knew, just absolutely KNEW, something wasn't right about the way they won. they were NOT better than the eagles that year, and they should have been blown out by the rams. they always won with smoke and mirrors, and what do you know, turns out they were cheating the whole time. say what you want about "man i wish the bills could cheat like that" but it is what it is, and that is this: no other team in the league cheated like that, the patriots were HEAVILY penalized, and they haven't won a goddamn thing since then.

STOP BEING SCARED OF THE PATRIOTS.

we have been a bad team for a decade, as have the dolphins. the patriots have bennefitted from a weak division for a decade. that run is coming to a close. they will get destroyed by the ravens this weekend. book it, gamble your mortgage on it. they are an old, fading team.

stop being scared of them.

They are two wins away from being Super Bowl champions. I don't think they are that good, but that's reality. We are light years away from being two wins from Super Bowl champions - that's the difference.

What jumps out at me is the suggestion of the Bills going after Mario Williams.

I would love for that to happen, but I would be shocked if the Texans let Williams walk.

Is there something I'm missing?

Are the Texans out of cap room? Was Williams' injury so severe that the Texans think he is too big a risk to keep?

What jumps out at me is the suggestion of the Bills going after Mario Williams.

I would love for that to happen, but I would be shocked if the Texans let Williams walk.

Is there something I'm missing?

Are the Texans out of cap room? Was Williams' injury so severe that the Texans think he is too big a risk to keep?

Here is another article about Mario Williams post back in December. One thing I was unaware of is that they need to resign Arian Foster and for the 16million Williams will be worth, the Texans already have Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, and Cushing at LB. Read some of the comments on the article below and some of the Texans fans are all for letting him go for the extra money

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32197/mario-williams-and-the-franchise-tag

Not because Ralph might be cheap, but i think Mario is out of our price range at this point in our team's development under Nix.

I can see us getting a pass rush from FA this year and hope to draft one or two. But we are probably not making our big run yet and just need to add a key piece. Still building the core i bet.

Buffalo Bill said " Just astounding that the Pats are in such good shape " i find it just very annoying.

And i tend to agree to the posting that they are winding down. But not fast enough for me. When do their two tight ends come up for contract? i would spend on either of them!