Newt gets suckerpunched in the 'nads

I doubt they are embarrassed at all. They have no reason to be.

Stories like they ran on Newt, while justified as "news," are brought out at a specific time for a reason. Whether they're going after someone from the right or left, their goal is to take them out of whatever competition they are in. ABC News didn't run a story like that in hopes of helping Newt win SC, but to take him out of the race much like Politico was able to do with Herman Cain.

Not to mention, if it was really considered "news," we'd still be reading about all the Cain women, wouldn't we? But no. No one hears from them because Politico got its scalp and there is need not follow up on it.

Alternately, ABC got just the opposite, and it is, without question, an embarrassment to them because they come off looking more like a grocery store tabloid and less like a viable member of the media.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stories like they ran on Newt, while justified as "news," are brought out at a specific time for a reason. Whether they're going after someone from the right or left, their goal is to take them out of whatever competition they are in. ABC News didn't run a story like that in hopes of helping Newt win SC, but to take him out of the race much like Politico was able to do with Herman Cain.

Not to mention, if it was really considered "news," we'd still be reading about all the Cain women, wouldn't we? But no. No one hears from them because Politico got its scalp and there is need not follow up on it.

Alternately, ABC got just the opposite, and it is, without question, an embarrassment to them because they come off looking more like a grocery store tabloid and less like a viable member of the media.

if his ex wife says she has something, are they supposed to ignore it? I don't like stories like this, but i credit them with holding off until the debate. If they ran it before the debate, I think outrage would have trumped common sense.

Speaking of common sense, I must have been lacking it, having EVER thought that idiot (sorry DC) Donald Trump could be a viable candidate.

if his ex wife says she has something, are they supposed to ignore it? I don't like stories like this, but i credit them with holding off until the debate. If they ran it before the debate, I think outrage would have trumped common sense.

Speaking of common sense, I must have been lacking it, having EVER thought that idiot (sorry DC) Donald Trump could be a viable candidate.

Uh, ABC had been showing excerpts of the interview for a couple of days before the debate.

Uh, ABC had been showing excerpts of the interview for a couple of days before the debate.

Touche. All about ratings. We know it and the politicians know it too.

I wouldn't lower myself to watch it, even if my schedule allowed. I bet they got ratings, though.

Yeah, I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is no different than when ABC ran with the Tony Rezco story. Or when CNN opened the debate asking Obama if he cared to explain his involvement with Bill Ayers. You don't expect them to ignore news, do you?

Lets be real here, John King didn't do anything wrong, its not as if he broke the story, it was his duty to ask the question, and its a legitimate one to ask, the only problem was that he was PAWNED by Gingrich, so much so that John Kingwill forever be remember for his moment of getting his ass handed to him by Newt.

Newt will make some of you conservatives feel warm and fuzzy and sure, I share some of the things he says, but I don't really give **** about that, number one priority is to get this country going in the way it we all know it can, and anyone who doesnt see things through partisan lenses can clearly see that our current president has been an abject failure when it comes to reviving the economy.

So the main focus should be replacing him with a competent and steady individual, and without question out of the current field Romney is that person... Rather than do that, I fear that conservatives will go with idealogy over practicality, which means Newt very well may win. The right hates Romney so much, that they are willing to put a tremendously flawed candidate such as Newt at the top of the ticket, which means that Obama gets reelected.

The right hates Romney so much, that they are willing to put a tremendously flawed candidate such as Newt at the top of the ticket, which means that Obama gets reelected.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American Electorate or hard core partisan supporters. Too much historical data as proof.

Right now there are many conservatives that will be running reelection campaigns for November of this year, and inside their heads, they are thinking to themselves......

"Newt may win the GOP ticket, and my name will have to appear by his.....

Newt may win the ticket....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "

Right now there are many conservatives that will be running reelection campaigns for November of this year, and inside their heads, they are thinking to themselves......

"Newt may win the GOP ticket, and my name will have to appear by his.....

Newt may win the ticket....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "

I'm not a big Newt fan, but isn't the reason the congressman think this way is because they're completely out of touch? According to Rasmussen, there's been a 31 point swing in Florida in the last two weeks (and Florida isn't exactly "backwoods" like South Carolina).

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/florida/2012_florida_republican_primary

Take whatever you hear coming from Washington, DC and New York with a grain of salt. These places are truly bubbles and the people who live there have no clue what real Americans want. I think we have a country of people that have three years worth of built up hatred towards the current president and that's why Newt is surging. He's reflecting the anger. He's even winning over the women voters. Yet they still want Romney at the top of the ticket?...LOL

Romney's "Crest White" smile is completely disconnected to what average Americans are feeling right now.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm not a big Newt fan, but isn't the reason the congressman think this way is because they're completely out of touch? According to Rasmussen, there's been a 31 point swing in Florida in the last two weeks (and Florida isn't exactly "backwoods" like South Carolina).

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/florida/2012_florida_republican_primary

Take whatever you hear coming from Washington, DC and New York with a grain of salt. These places are truly bubbles and the people who live there have no clue what real Americans want. I think we have a country of people that have three years worth of built up hatred towards the current president and that's why Newt is surging. He's reflecting the anger. He's even winning over the women voters. Yet they still want Romney at the top of the ticket?...LOL

Romney's "Crest White" smile is completely disconnected to what average Americans are feeling right now.

Dude, you are pretty far out to the right and you certainly don't share what the average independent wants. The only anger that Newt is tapped into is the rights anger.

Independents want competence, not flare AND they don't hate Obama, actually the kinda like him, they just see him as ineffectual in regards to solving our countries economic woes. However, they DON'T like Newt, from a personal perspective.

So again, the one's that hate Obama are the right wingers, so lets not confuse your idealogical perspective with those in the middle.

The reality is that the Obama administration and all the other liberals that are up for reelection are praying that Newt wins. If Newt wins, the GOP can forget about their prosects of winning the Senate, will lose the house and certainly won't win at the top of the ticket.

Shades of 84 will come to mind.

Edited by Magox

Dude, you are pretty far out to the right and you certainly don't share what the average independent wants. The only anger that Newt is tapped into is the rights anger.

Independents want competence, not flare AND they don't hate Obama, actually the kinda like him, they just see him as ineffectual in regards to solving our countries economic woes. However, they DON'T like Newt, from a personal perspective.

So again, the one's that hate Obama are the right wingers, so lets not confuse your idealogical perspective with those in the middle.

The reality is that the Obama administration and all the other liberals that are up for reelection are praying that Newt wins. If Newt wins, the GOP can forget about their prosects of winning the Senate, will lose the house and certainly won't win at the top of the ticket.

Shades of 84 will come to mind.

First off, I'm a moderate and an independent. Obama is so far left that it only appears that I'm a "right winger"...LOL

Average Americans can't stand what Obama (with huge help from the liberal media) has done to this country. Average people see 5 trillion spent under his watch and think about how irresponsible that is to their children and their children's children.

Even if it ends up being Newt, then so be it. Obama is not getting reelected no matter who it is since he's been a worse president than even Jimmy Carter. Seriously, do you think that in two short weeks Florida has suddenly become a "far right" state?

First off, I'm a moderate and an independent. Obama is so far left that it only appears that I'm a "right winger"...LOL

Average Americans can't stand what Obama (with huge help from the liberal media) has done to this country. Average people see 5 trillion spent under his watch and think about how irresponsible that is to their children and their children's children.

Even if it ends up being Newt, then so be it. Obama is not getting reelected no matter who it is since he's been a worse president than even Jimmy Carter. Seriously, do you think that in two short weeks Florida has suddenly become a "far right" state?

You can call yourself whatever you want to call yourself, but that doesnt change the fact that you are further to the right than your average Joe. Nothing wrong with that, thats just what it is.

In regards to how average Americans feel about Obama, yep, they believe he hasn't delivered on his promises, that he has done a piss poor job on handling the economy and believes he is your typical tax and spend liberal, but they don't hate the guy.

And nope, if you honestly believe that anyone can beat Obama you are dead wrong! Out of the 4, Mitt is he ONLY one who has a shot, the rest you can forget about.

In regards to what has transpired over the past 2 weeks, easy, Conservatives never liked Romney, but the other candidates are so terrible that he had been the frontrunner. GOP primary voters have been desperate to put anyone but Romney at the top of the ticket, but his perception of electabiliy, groundgame, qualifications, consistency and money have kept him up at or near the top week in and weak out.

So when the debate came, Newt caught lightning in a bottle, he executed with near perfection, tapped into the rights anger, couple that with Mitt's waffling answers which fits right in with the perception of many southern rightwingers, which is that he is a squishy N.E flip floppy Moderate.

This was one part Anti Romney, one part Newt having a phenomenal week.

Thats what happened.

You can call yourself whatever you want to call yourself, but that doesnt change the fact that you are further to the right than your average Joe. Nothing wrong with that, thats just what it is.

In regards to how average Americans feel about Obama, yep, they believe he hasn't delivered on his promises, that he has done a piss poor job on handling the economy and believes he is your typical tax and spend liberal, but they don't hate the guy.

And nope, if you honestly believe that anyone can beat Obama you are dead wrong! Out of the 4, Mitt is he ONLY one who has a shot, the rest you can forget about.

In regards to what has transpired over the past 2 weeks, easy, Conservatives never liked Romney, but the other candidates are so terrible that he had been the frontrunner. GOP primary voters have been desperate to put anyone but Romney at the top of the ticket, but his perception of electabiliy, groundgame, qualifications, consistency and money have kept him up at or near the top week in and weak out.

So when the debate came, Newt caught lightning in a bottle, he executed with near perfection, tapped into the rights anger, couple that with Mitt's waffling answers which fits right in with the perception of many southern rightwingers, which is that he is a squishy N.E flip floppy Moderate.

This was one part Anti Romney, one part Newt having a phenomenal week.

Thats what happened.

if President Bush were able to run (I doubt he would want to) he would win thw nomination over these guys in a landslide.

I suspect I'm perceived as a right winger, and in many respects I am, but that's not why I dislike Obama. The reality is (and you've probably read this from me before), he epitomizes every bad boss I've ever had.

He's the boss who holds a meeting, and when the meeting is over, people stand around saying "How the hell did he get this job?" He's the boss who rarely knows what he's talking about in spite of his best effort to sound like he knows what he's talking about. He the boss who has mastered the difference between imply/infer, so it's not that he's wrong, you just didn't hear him correctly. He gives people directives, and when the directives fail, he has a number of reasons why, none of which includes taking even a little bit of responsibility. And if he does blame himself for anything, it's for not explaining his directions so a simpleton like you could understand it. He's the passive aggressive boss that makes people puke with his snide little comments that make people wish it were five o'clock. Worst of all, he's a boss who is simply not a leader, natural or otherwise.

A good boss leads, inspires, and encourages while often times taking bullets if it's in the best interest of his team. He is nothing like a good boss, and everything like a bad boss, and you don't need to be a right winger to dislike him for that. In fact, it's not that I dislike him. I just don't respect him. And given that he's the leader of the greatest country in the world, that's pretty unfortunate for me.

I suspect I'm perceived as a right winger, and in many respects I am, but that's not why I dislike Obama. The reality is (and you've probably read this from me before), he epitomizes every bad boss I've ever had.

He's the boss who holds a meeting, and when the meeting is over, people stand around saying "How the hell did he get this job?" He's the boss who rarely knows what he's talking about in spite of his best effort to sound like he knows what he's talking about. He the boss who has mastered the difference between imply/infer, so it's not that he's wrong, you just didn't hear him correctly. He gives people directives, and when the directives fail, he has a number of reasons why, none of which includes taking even a little bit of responsibility. And if he does blame himself for anything, it's for not explaining his directions so a simpleton like you could understand it. He's the passive aggressive boss that makes people puke with his snide little comments that make people wish it were five o'clock. Worst of all, he's a boss who is simply not a leader, natural or otherwise.

A good boss leads, inspires, and encourages while often times taking bullets if it's in the best interest of his team. He is nothing like a good boss, and everything like a bad boss, and you don't need to be a right winger to dislike him for that. In fact, it's not that I dislike him. I just don't respect him. And given that he's the leader of the greatest country in the world, that's pretty unfortunate for me.

No way to tell if you are right or wrong. Not many of us get to see his do his job. Congress on the other hand......

Newt's definitely started taking a bit more heat since the last debate.

Examples:

Newt Gingrich: Our Bill Clinton by R. Emmett Tyrrell Jr. on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

http://www.creators.com/opinion/r-emmett-tyrrell.html

Newt Rewrites His Reagan Connection by Mark Shields on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

http://www.creators.com/opinion/mark-shields/newt-rewrites-his-reagan-connection.html

Two items:

Gingrich, Offstage

So new supporters drawn by his denunciation of the news media for its alleged soft treatment of President Obama or for his lines about making “it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office,” should remember something. He doesn’t hate the ["elite media"] as much as he makes you think.

After last week’s debate, when he blasted CNN’s King for asking about his second ex-wife’s “open marriage” charge, he went up to him and chatted amiably. Next he praised King on CNN. Then he trashed him on Fox.

So Thursday night at the next debate, whether he makes nice to Wolf Blitzer, CNN’s moderator in Jacksonville, or rips his head off, you’ll be seeing just one of the two Gingriches.

Doonesbury 1/25

Keeping in mind that it comes from Trudeau, but that's a question that I just don't think Newt's campaign team and Calista herself will be able to answer successfully --- and I mean successfully as "doesn't rely almost wholly on the crutch of religion and sound like complete bullstevestojan" when it finally gets put to her. Don't think it's not going to be asked once the spouse traditionally gets their sit-downs in a general election. When candidate wives don't have parentage, job or some other life story to talk about, it can damage a campaign very quickly. Think Teresa Heinz-Kerry. Calista's main life accomplishment has been being an adulteress for 6 years. That will not play well once it enters the discourse (more than it has) in true Washington "Welcome to the NFL!" style.

Edited by UConn James