Orson Charles or Dwayne Allen anyone?

The NFL is a copycat league and both of the above mentioned are definitely the top 2 in the class. I've heard that matbe Chandler would wan't a lot more money than he is deserving, although I would like him back, but he is replacable. I also think Chan doesn't like to use TE's that often in his offense, but these players are so versatile you can play them as WR's in some sets. Would you be against drafting one of them in the second round?

I havent seen Orson Charles play but from what ive seen of Dwayne Allen I think he would be a good fit in our offense, good hands, good routes and he didnt look all that bad at run blocking either. I would be very happy with Allen in the 2nd.

Being a UGA fan, i have seen Charles play many times. He is a very gifted TE. Richt does not use the TE much either yet Charles has put up good numbers. He has good hands and plays almost like a big WR. Not a great blocker, but he will go after any ball thrown his way.

Having said all that, i think th eBills have other needs then taking either TE in the second round.

Re-sign Chandler for fair market value. He is a middle of the road TE.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

The NFL is a copycat league and both of the above mentioned are definitely the top 2 in the class. I've heard that matbe Chandler would wan't a lot more money than he is deserving, although I would like him back, but he is replacable. I also think Chan doesn't like to use TE's that often in his offense, but these players are so versatile you can play them as WR's in some sets. Would you be against drafting one of them in the second round?

No, but it really depends on who it is. Allen is good don't know Charles that well. Michael Egnew from Missouri reminds me of Aaron Hernandez and might be available in the third.

We know what we have with our TEs, so we can game plan around that. Too many other needs, especially on defense, to draft any before day 3 this year.

Agreed. Buffalo has some serious needs on defense. But the big question to me is can the Bills fill one of those needs with pick #10?

Specifically; these are my concerns. Pass Rush is the top need. If Buffalo moves to the 43 defense, the need becomes a pass rusher at DE. Which one would you select. Coples? Have you read all of the negative articles about him being a me first underachiever with a bad work ethic? If Buffalo uses #10 on Upshaw. Is he a top notch rusher? Would either Coples or Upshaw give the team the kind of production that Alshon Jeffery, or Decastro, two highly rated players on offense, might provide? The 10th pick is a premium pick and should not be used to select a bottom half of the 1st. rd. or top half of the second round player.

Buddy has proven to me that the right thing to do is to select the best player with that premium pick as he did with the selection of C.J. and to try to fill those other needs in subsequent rounds assuming the best defensive players at your positions of need are not equal to the best player available at another position. It could be that when it is Buffalo's turn at #10, that best player available will be Jeffrey or Decastro.

Agreed. Buffalo has some serious needs on defense. But the big question to me is can the Bills fill one of those needs with pick #10?

Specifically; these are my concerns. Pass Rush is the top need. If Buffalo moves to the 43 defense, the need becomes a pass rusher at DE. Which one would you select. Coples? Have you read all of the negative articles about him being a me first underachiever with a bad work ethic? If Buffalo uses #10 on Upshaw. Is he a top notch rusher? Would either Coples or Upshaw give the team the kind of production that Alshon Jeffery, or Decastro, two highly rated players on offense, might provide? The 10th pick is a premium pick and should not be used to select a bottom half of the 1st. rd. or top half of the second round player.

Buddy has proven to me that the right thing to do is to select the best player with that premium pick as he did with the selection of C.J. and to try to fill those other needs in subsequent rounds assuming the best defensive players at your positions of need are not equal to the best player available at another position. It could be that when it is Buffalo's turn at #10, that best player available will be Jeffrey or Decastro.

Good points, but was the last first-rounder the BPA or a position of need, or both? And have you heard anything about what direction our defense is going in?

We know what we have with our TEs, so we can game plan around that. Too many other needs, especially on defense, to draft any before day 3 this year.

I would love to have Allen, but unfortuniatly what you said is correct. The Bills are swiss cheese, too many holes. Heath Miller is a HUGE player for the Steelers. But, there are some good teams with average TE's. We need a pass rush first this year, then a OT, then a TE. Plus, there are a few decent ones in FA.

Tis is the thinking that has consistently kept the Bills from being a contender, letting good players walk and then creating a bigger position on need than it was before. We can never shore up all of the holes that we create ourselves.

I would love to have Allen, but unfortuniatly what you said is correct. The Bills are swiss cheese, too many holes. Heath Miller is a HUGE player for the Steelers. But, there are some good teams with average TE's. We need a pass rush first this year, then a OT, then a TE. Plus, there are a few decent ones in FA.

I don't see us picking up a FA TE this year, not with the possibility of signing Chandler to a smaller contract than what you would give to a FA from another team.

Good points, but was the last first-rounder the BPA or a position of need, or both? And have you heard anything about what direction our defense is going in?

I think it was both. When you pick that early in the first round, your chances of getting the best player on the board at your greatest position of need is much better that if you pick later on in the 1st. Last year, Buffalo needed to draft a run stuffer and, I think, got the best one in the draft. This year we pick 10th. and there seems to be no consensus about the pass rusher this year. If you read these boards; some like Coples, some Upshaw, some Mercilus. Which one is the best? I don't know. And that is precisely the trouble with this years' draft in my opinion. No one has separated himself from the others as the best pass rusher. We know who the best guard is, it's Decastro. In fact, I think he's the best O-lineman, better at his position than any of the top ranked tackles are at their's. Blackman and Jeffrey are the two best wr's and it's close. But the toughest question to answer is this; would drafting Decastro improve the play at guard more than drafting a lessor player at DE when that lessor player would still be better than what Buffalo currently has at DE? And that gets me back to picking the best player available. With the 10th. overall, if it's Decastro, I think you pick him.

Have I heard anything about our base defense? No. Buddy said that Buffalo played the 34 and 43 last year. Does the promotion of Wannsted to D-Coordinator mean Buffalo is to be a primary 43? Maybe. Then again, maybe not. Not knowing makes it tough on a draft addict like me.

I think it was both. When you pick that early in the first round, your chances of getting the best player on the board at your greatest position of need is much better that if you pick later on in the 1st. Last year, Buffalo needed to draft a run stuffer and, I think, got the best one in the draft. This year we pick 10th. and there seems to be no consensus about the pass rusher this year. If you read these boards; some like Coples, some Upshaw, some Mercilus. Which one is the best? I don't know. And that is precisely the trouble with this years' draft in my opinion. No one has separated himself from the others as the best pass rusher. We know who the best guard is, it's Decastro. In fact, I think he's the best O-lineman, better at his position than any of the top ranked tackles are at their's. Blackman and Jeffrey are the two best wr's and it's close. But the toughest question to answer is this; would drafting Decastro improve the play at guard more than drafting a lessor player at DE when that lessor player would still be better than what Buffalo currently has at DE? And that gets me back to picking the best player available. With the 10th. overall, if it's Decastro, I think you pick him.

Have I heard anything about our base defense? No. Buddy said that Buffalo played the 34 and 43 last year. Does the promotion of Wannsted to D-Coordinator mean Buffalo is to be a primary 43? Maybe. Then again, maybe not. Not knowing makes it tough on a draft addict like me.

DeCastro could very well be the 10th best player in the draft, and he may be available when we pick. But do we want to draft him when we have a large number of guards already?

I know what you mean about being a draft addict. Seems to be the Bills only action outside of the pre- and regular season.

I'd love if we drafted Dwanye Allen but that's because my wife was his high school Guidance Councilor and he comes back to visit her once or twice a year. He's a good kid, worked hard academically in school and athletically, the kids a beast. He looks bigger than 6-4 265 when you stand next to him but then again, so did Bruce Smith and I stood next to him at the airport.

I'd love to see him and Scott Chandler on the field at the same time athletic fast TE combined with a monster physical target, good luck defenses, and then add Jackson and Spiller on the field at same time with Stevie Johnson, that would be tough to stop.

I will say that Dwanye's not a very strong inline blocker but he's willing to crackback and get physical, needs to work on route running and getting more consistent. Just watch the orange Bowl and you'll see too many mental errors.

Here's hoping because he said he'd give my wife a signed jersey if Buffalo drafts him!

Edited by KRT88

DeCastro could very well be the 10th best player in the draft, and he may be available when we pick. But do we want to draft him when we have a large number of guards already?

I know what you mean about being a draft addict. Seems to be the Bills only action outside of the pre- and regular season.

Let me refer you to a piece just put on BUFFALORUMBLINGS.COM titled 2012 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills Must Shake No. 10 Stigma. It talks about an unimpressive lists of players selected at #10 by several teams over the past recent years. I think a GM should be able to get an elite player in the top 10. The reason, in my opinion, that GMs often fail in that regard is that they reach to fill positions of need.

I think the way to build a team is to get as many elite players that you possibly can and fill around them with good players. Yes we have some guards. I think our LG is very good. I think our RG is OK. I must agree that this is not a position of great need. But I would rather get an all pro at RG than another Edwards or Kelsay at DE.

Let me refer you to a piece just put on BUFFALORUMBLINGS.COM titled 2012 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills Must Shake No. 10 Stigma. It talks about an unimpressive lists of players selected at #10 by several teams over the past recent years. I think a GM should be able to get an elite player in the top 10. The reason, in my opinion, that GMs often fail in that regard is that they reach to fill positions of need.

I think the way to build a team is to get as many elite players that you possibly can and fill around them with good players. Yes we have some guards. I think our LG is very good. I think our RG is OK. I must agree that this is not a position of great need. But I would rather get an all pro at RG than another Edwards or Kelsay at DE.

This is, of course, all dependent on what Buddy's draft board looks like. Draft Tek has Luke Kuechly at #10, and National Football Post has Dre Kirkpatrick. While I agree with the need to draft a stud at #10, I'm not a big fan of BPA. I don't think this will hapen, but it could. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Trent Richardson makes it past Cleveland at #6 and is there at #10. I think that at our spot, he would be the BPA. Would we draft him? I don't think so. My approach is BPA that fills a position of need. Even if DeCastro is the BPA, I don't see it too big of a reach to fill a position of need. Again, referring to the two previous mentioned sites, Draft Tek has Quinton Coples at 11, Dre Kirkpatrick at 12, and Courtney Upshaw at 13 (DeCastro is at 14, BTW), while NFP has Riley Reiff at 11, Justin Blackmon at 12, and Kendall Wright at 13 (DeCastro is #4).