Orson Charles or Dwayne Allen anyone?

This is, of course, all dependent on what Buddy's draft board looks like. Draft Tek has Luke Kuechly at #10, and National Football Post has Dre Kirkpatrick. While I agree with the need to draft a stud at #10, I'm not a big fan of BPA. I don't think this will hapen, but it could. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Trent Richardson makes it past Cleveland at #6 and is there at #10. I think that at our spot, he would be the BPA. Would we draft him? I don't think so. My approach is BPA that fills a position of need. Even if DeCastro is the BPA, I don't see it too big of a reach to fill a position of need. Again, referring to the two previous mentioned sites, Draft Tek has Quinton Coples at 11, Dre Kirkpatrick at 12, and Courtney Upshaw at 13 (DeCastro is at 14, BTW), while NFP has Riley Reiff at 11, Justin Blackmon at 12, and Kendall Wright at 13 (DeCastro is #4).

Would I take Trent Richardson if he were there? Absolutely. If you gather very good players at one position. You can trade one for a proven veteran player at that position of need. This is much better than reaching for a collegian who, you may hope, can play a positiion. A high 1st round pick should not be spent on a reach. Doing that accounts for the list of #10s referred to in the article I mentioned.

One more thing about guards. Guards are not valued as highly as tackles. We all know that. Many mock drafts grade players on perceived positions of importance rather than true rankings of best player available. In my opinion, that is why some have a player like Reiff rated higher than DeCastro. When you find mocks that rank a guard above the best tackles in a draft, you have good reason to think that guard is a special player.

Buffalo has, all too often, gone for that need player and, all too often, selected busts. This team cannot continue to do that.

Would I take Trent Richardson if he were there? Absolutely. If you gather very good players at one position. You can trade one for a proven veteran player at that position of need. This is much better than reaching for a collegian who, you may hope, can play a positiion. A high 1st round pick should not be spent on a reach. Doing that accounts for the list of #10s referred to in the article I mentioned.

One more thing about guards. Guards are not valued as highly as tackles. We all know that. Many mock drafts grade players on perceived positions of importance rather than true rankings of best player available. In my opinion, that is why some have a player like Reiff rated higher than DeCastro. When you find mocks that rank a guard above the best tackles in a draft, you have good reason to think that guard is a special player.

Buffalo has, all too often, gone for that need player and, all too often, selected busts. This team cannot continue to do that.

True, but I do not like the thought of collecting too much talent at one positon at the expense of others.

BTW, what implications do trades have on the salary cap?

True, but I do not like the thought of collecting too much talent at one positon at the expense of others.

BTW, what implications do trades have on the salary cap?

I know. It's an opinion not shared by many of my fellow arm chair quarterbacks. But Buffalo has such a bad drafting record. (That's prior to Buddy.) And the draft is naturally an iffy thing. So I've come to feel there must be a smarter way to play this game.

Salary cap implications of trades? I think the acquiring team has to handle the impact of the acquired player's contract unless a new contract can be worked out with the player. I don't think Buffalo needs to worry about it's cap unless the acquired player is Payton Manning.

I know. It's an opinion not shared by many of my fellow arm chair quarterbacks. But Buffalo has such a bad drafting record. (That's prior to Buddy.) And the draft is naturally an iffy thing. So I've come to feel there must be a smarter way to play this game.

Salary cap implications of trades? I think the acquiring team has to handle the impact of the acquired player's contract unless a new contract can be worked out with the player. I don't think Buffalo needs to worry about it's cap unless the acquired player is Payton Manning.

I also have a hard time believing that Buddy would spend a first-round pick on a G.

Edited by jjmac

I also have a hard time believing that Buddy would spend a first-round pick on a G.

Many criticized him for selecting Spiller when we had Lynch and Jackson on the team. Those people are now thinking, I think, that it was a pretty good move.

Many criticized him for selecting Spiller when we had Lynch and Jackson on the team. Those people are now thinking, I think, that it was a pretty good move.

Only because we traded Lynch. That backfield was too crowded.