Is Bell a goner for sure, per Buddy 'priority to draft an LT"?

zazie

oh boy, not good.

Bell will be gone and SJ also, the holes keep getting dug deeper

Nix made it pretty clear he intends to keep Stevie, and that IF he loses him he'll bring in TWO top WR's instead of just one more to work opposite Stevie.

Feel free to blow dark smoke and troll here - it's a popular activity here at TBD.

Bell may well be gone - good player who can't stay healthy - Nix was plenty up front about it. I think if Bell keeps his demands reasonable he'll stay - hard to know.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP was lamenting about drafting a LT to replace Bell. Hence my point about the draft and what Nix has said about the draft the last two years. Get it? Here's a non-subliminal hint: think Draft not free agency.

In this case Nix said (and I'm confident enough about this without going back to listen that these aren't ironic quotes but actual ones) "WE'RE GOING TO DRAFT A TACKLE."

First, second, third, fourth, fifth...didn't say when. But he DID say "we're going to draft a tackle."

Has too much of a Jonas Jennings feel.

While both are injury prone, Jennings was a good player. Have not seen that from Bell to this point. Time to move on from the Demetrius Bell experiment imo.

Bell played a full season in 2010.

No he did not, he missed time with some type of elbow/arm injury.

The OP was lamenting about drafting a LT to replace Bell. Hence my point about the draft and what Nix has said about the draft the last two years. Get it? Here's a non-subliminal hint: think Draft not free agency.

The OP said nothing about the draft, he said that letting Stevie and bell go creates a hole. You were teh one that said that Nix, every season, talks about addressing the o-line and yet he has only drafted Hairston.

My point was that there are other ways to address the o-line other then just drafting which you brought into the conversation. Nix has been working on addressing the o-line, he has brought in guys through FA to look at and try and fill holes

You're wrong. Read the title of the thread.

you are correct, the OP did add in the part about drafting a LT in the thread title

But I don't think Buddy said anything about it being a LT, everything I have seen quoted Buddy as saying he was looking at draft a Tackle, because you can never have too many tackles.

I have been saying all year I would like to see the Bills get a legit LT

Bell has improved but cant stay healthy

obviously if they can resign him its one less position they need to fill but Im not as high on the o-line as others are and would like to see an upgrade

The Bills had an All-Pro LT (Jason Peters) and they didn't want to pay him so they got rid of him. This is what happens to a team that has no idea what they are doing. Don't you think other players around the league see these things? Is it a mystery why top free agents are reluctant to sign with the Bills?

I would be completely shocked if the Bills didn't bring back SJ...They will go through their usual song and dance regarding the contract stuff, but in the end I think they will get a deal done. Like him or not, this offense needs him.

While both are injury prone, Jennings was a good player. Have not seen that from Bell to this point. Time to move on from the Demetrius Bell experiment imo.

This ^. Jennings looked top notch to me when healthy...I definitely did not get the same impression from Bell. I think Hairston can play as will if not better than Bell, and we can still look for an improvement over that via FA/draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills sign Bell though, I'm sure he would come at a low price.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Allow me to make this analogy.

If you're in the market for a 2007 Rav4 and you see two that meet your design criteria, one will cost 12,500, the other 9,500, which will you choose. Some will take the lower amount. But, if you look into it, the one at 12,500 has less mileage and a clean Carfax report. The one for 9,500 has more mileage and has a Carfax report that shows a couple of accidents. The majority... or the sensible folk are going to eliminate the one with the bad carfax automatically.

Buddy has stated that he likes the tools that Bell has. The problem is he is often injured. So, Buddy, what are your expectations of a starting LT? If you are looking for performance and dependability, then you must look past Bell.

Has too much of a Jonas Jennings feel.

Agreed, AD. Additionally, even given his injuries I think in the open market he is going to fetch 3 plus million dollars a season.

...seriously, good for him, but I think it is just too rich for what he would bring to the table if we wanted him back.

EDIT: BTW, Bell, should you get that money I hope you stick that in your father's face and tell him, "I didn't need you before, and I don't need you now...so don't all of sudden start to claim, 'there's my boy' you jerk."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Agreed, AD. Additionally, even given his injuries I think in the open market he is going to fetch 3 plus million dollars a season.

...seriously, good for him, but I think it is just too rich for what he would bring to the table if we wanted him back.

Bell does have perceived value around the league, I'm positive of that.

But just to for the sake of argument, what if Bell does sign elsewhere for the bargain price of $3m per year and NEVER gets injured again?

GO BILLS!!!

But just to for the sake of argument, what if Bell does sign elsewhere for the bargain price of $3m per year and NEVER gets injured again?

GO BILLS!!!

This is a doomsday scenario, one that I'm confident (given Buddy's presser) that the Bills won't allow.

He'll be back, but that doesn't mean they won't use the 10th pick on another LT to take his place as starter.

Bell, Hairston, Pears, and a first rounder provides an ample stable of tackles who, as Buddy said, can always be brought in to play guard, if need be.

Meanwhile, we have Brown and Rinehart to back up the interior.

Not shabby. Five solid starters, four solid reserves. You can't really ask for much more than that.

GO BILLS!!!

I hear ya, K-9, but I don't really have a good answer.

I know he has value that is why I think he will get a multi-year 7 figure deal and he may never get hurt again.

However, there is the likelihood that he becomes like the FA OLinemen that we signed for multi-year 7-8 figure deals that only turned into great disappointments.

...or as noted above, what Jennings turned out to be for S.F., but that was due to injury.

I hear ya, K-9, but I don't really have a good answer.

I know he has value that is why I think he will get a multi-year 7 figure deal and he may never get hurt again.

However, there is the likelihood that he becomes like the FA OLinemen that we signed for multi-year 7-8 figure deals that only turned into great disappointments.

...or as noted above, what Jennings turned out to be for S.F., but that was due to injury.

It's not an easy situation for sure. My philosophy is if you like the guy and think he has value to your team then sign him. If you think his health risk outweighs that benefit, then don't sign him. I just don't think a team can "plan" for an injury to occur, regardless of past issues, if those injuries aren't repetitive. You take the best advice from your medical staff and make a decision, hope for the best, and don't listen to all the 20/20 hindsight second guessing that's bound to occur.

Bell very well may have reached that point of no return for Nix and the Bills. And if they decide to go in another direction with Hairston, an FA, or a draft pick, it's understandable. And if Bell goes on to enjoy Jason Peters success with a new team, it STILL wouldn't have been a bad decision by the Bills at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think people just hear what they want to hear......

In my opinion....Hairston could be a lot better then Bell if he dedicates his offseason to dropping about 20 pounds. Meanwhile....I think that Buddy wants to set up a competition between Bell and Hairston for left tackle and this in itself creates the depth....I mean....think about it....HOW OFTEN do you lose both your left tackles in a season.

As far as stevie goes....I just think people hear what they want to hear

Listening to Buddy I got the feeling that the Bills would be happy to have Bell back...But it took two seconds for Buddy to talk about Bell's injury history which tells me they are not about to pay premium LT dollars for D Bell...I also got the feeling he thinks Hairston is going to be fine at LT if that's what they decide to do...And I'm guessing some Team is going to offer Bell more than The Bills are willing to pay...If so pencil in Hairston at LT...

Now...Here's where it gets interesting...There is at least an outside chance that both OT's Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin will be available when The Bills Pick at #10 overall (I strongly prefer Martin to Reiff btw...Like anyone cares...lol)...And when Buddy says we will Draft a LT, I don't think for a second he means they will Draft one in the 1st Round...After all, they got Hairston in the 4th Round last Draft...But I wonder if the true value at #10 overall does end up being at LT?...Of course I'm assuming Luck, Kalil, Griffin (if he declares), Richardson (if...), Claiborne (if...), Blackmon, Still (I think he's the top D-Lineman and somebody is going to take him Top 9...Just a hunch), and Jeffery (I hope he slides to #10...But I doubt it will happen) will all be gone Top 8...That leaves both Reiff and Martin available at #9 Overall...So I think there is a good chance one or both will fall to #10 overall...Does Buddy pass on an OT that most Scouts feel is a sure fire Top 10 Pick? We'll see I guess...

Going to be VERY interesting if Reiff and Martin are both available at #10 come April...VERY interesting... B-)

Now...Here's where it gets interesting...There is at least an outside chance that both OT's Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin will be available when The Bills Pick at #10 overall (I strongly prefer Martin to Reiff btw...Like anyone cares...lol)...And when Buddy says we will Draft a LT, I don't think for a second he means they will Draft one in the 1st Round...After all, they got Hairston in the 4th Round last Draft...But I wonder if the true value at #10 overall does end up being at LT?...

Going to be VERY interesting if Reiff and Martin are both available at #10 come April...VERY interesting... B-)

Before the 2010 draft, Buddy implied very strongly that he felt there were only two OTs worth their weight at the Bills pick (#9).

The comment was interpreted that he would pick Trent Williams or Russell Okung if either were available.

Williams went at #4 and Okung went at #6.

So that's one clue.

Since that time, some things have changed and some things haven't.