People are stupid : example #46795

Just Jack

Article : Sunoco customers offered refills on beer

The reusable containers sold at many gas stations, called "growlers", hold 64 ounces. Several craft beer options were available on tap behind the counter at the store along the intersection of State and James Streets. On a shelf, the empty bottles were displayed with deals for a free growler when customers pay to fill it with any selection on tap. The cheapest option was $8.99 plus tax.

Facebook page with comments

I guess a lot of people don't realize beer is already sold at most gas stations in convenient 6packs or larger.

To argue the other side .... Is it any harder to pop open a can of beer? Granted it is not as "hidden" but it's not like that would be hard to overcome if you were motivated. I'm not advocating on tap beer sales at convenience stores just pointing out the absurdity of the argument that it will lead to more drinking and driving because of convenience. If you want to drink while driving you have enough disdain for the law to do so with a good old fashioned can or bottle.

To argue the other side .... Is it any harder to pop open a can of beer? Granted it is not as "hidden" but it's not like that would be hard to overcome if you were motivated. I'm not advocating on tap beer sales at convenience stores just pointing out the absurdity of the argument that it will lead to more drinking and driving because of convenience. If you want to drink while driving you have enough disdain for the law to do so with a good old fashioned can or bottle.

That's my thought also, they already sell beer so what's the difference between a growler and a 40 ouncer?

That's my thought also, they already sell beer so what's the difference between a growler and a 40 ouncer?

If you're selling six-packs, you're selling beer. If you're refilling a container, you're serving beer.

In almost any sense I can think of, they're at the very least "not the same". In the context of NYS regulations, they're extremely different.

you can go into any microbrewery and buy a growler, you can't drink it on premises(at least i don't think you can), growlers are for taking home your favorite beer...pints are served for consumption there.

not sure why i am putting myself out there like this trying to 'argue' a point against you...but what the hell

If you're selling six-packs, you're selling beer. If you're refilling a container, you're serving beer.

In almost any sense I can think of, they're at the very least "not the same". In the context of NYS regulations, they're extremely different.

IMO, the distinction is going to be in how the beer is given to the customer.

If it's in a sealed container, it's sold. If it's in an open container, it's served.

As the article states: " The clerk fills the bottle and each growler is sealed with a thin paper band before it's handed over the customers."

They aren't refilling with bud light, probably filling with middle ages or empire, and at 8.99 it's about the same, if not less for a six of the same. I always get growlers as opposed to sixes

I know other states use plastic and heat the plastic. Brewpubs with off premises permits at least in PA & VA just cap em and let you go on your way

IMO, the distinction is going to be in how the beer is given to the customer.

If it's in a sealed container, it's sold. If it's in an open container, it's served.

As the article states: " The clerk fills the bottle and each growler is sealed with a thin paper band before it's handed over the customers."