"There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane"

DPR4444

I'm a big fan of documentaries in general. Has anyone else seen this documentary regarding the 2009 Taconic State Parkway crash that killed 8 people? I watched it on HBO last night.

Brutal, depressing, but compelling. Even knowing the eventual sad outcome, I couldn't turn it off.

I witnessed this crash, kind of. Was on the Taconic northbound about four miles behind this family. Saw the accident scene, the covered bodies on the ground as I crawled by in traffic.

Just.....nasty.

Edited by RkFast

I witnessed this crash, kind of. Was on the Taconic northbound about four miles behind this family. Saw the accident scene, the covered bodies on the ground as I crawled by in traffic.

Just.....nasty.

I think a major contributor to the crash was the Taconic itself.

That was always one scary road, back when I drove it.

True, but not where this took place. This was in Chappaqua/Pleasantville, where the road is three lanes in each direction...plenty of space. The accident took place at the bottom of a turn, and the entrance/exit ramps are a bit weird at that exit ( used to go mountain biking right there) so I can see someone getting confused. But there is plenty of signage in case you go the wrong way. Unless youre out of your skull, youll know pretty quick...WAY before you get on the highway.....youre doin\g something wrong.

As much as I enjoy a good documentary this will be one I avoid. Not because it's not good but it just seems to depressing.

Saw it a few weeks back..really not depressing..just weird and compelling. By all accounts, no way this women was the kind to get liquored up and drive, let alone with kids. I would recommend the watch.

Saw it a few weeks back..really not depressing..just weird and compelling. By all accounts, no way this women was the kind to get liquored up and drive, let alone with kids. I would recommend the watch.

I watched some of it off and on ... a horrific situation for everyone involved.

My folks live about 3 miles east of the Taconic in Dutchess County. I remember when we would drive the back road (aptly named Mountain Rd) to get to the parkway. It's an at-grade intersection and you can't see more than a hundred feet or so of oncoming traffic. Horribly unsafe and an accident waiting to happen.

They've since closed off most of the at-grade intersections in Dutchess, though Mountain still remains open since there are few alternatives for farm vehicles that need to cross the parkway.

I was going to watch this when I kept hearing good things about it. But, it seemed to me that this question is out there - I know the husband doesn't think she was drunk........Does it conclude anything or not?

I was going to watch this when I kept hearing good things about it. But, it seemed to me that this question is out there - I know the husband doesn't think she was drunk........Does it conclude anything or not?

I didn't see the documentary, but her blood alcohol level was .19 and marijuana was found in her system. Isn't that conclusion enough?

I didn't see the documentary, but her blood alcohol level was .19 and marijuana was found in her system. Isn't that conclusion enough?

I would certainly think, but there seems to be all this controversy and denial about it. Somebody above said she probably had a delusional episode. I really don't want to watch a whole doc and be left with it inconclusive........I'm scarred from watching the full season of The Killing and being left with no payoff!

As I recall the husband would have been in trouble if he admitted he knew she drunk.

She was on her way home from a camping trip with the kids.husband was at home so he would not have known either way.And yes, after watching you would be left with questions despite the physical evidense...

One nugget that come up is the husband never wanted kids..now he is a single parent.

Little facts kept coming out. Like the fact that even though everyone close to her said she wasn't a drinker and she would drink maybe once per month, they found a bottle of Absolut Vodka in the wreck. You can even see it when they show pictures of the crime scene.

Then the news came out that she did smoke marijuana occasionally. Both of these disclosures offer plausibility to the findings by the medical examiner, the guy HBO hired to go investigate the medical examiner's findings, and the private investigator the family hired who had the samples retested.

IMO, she had a delusional episode and became so disoriented that she began to drink the vodka. I have no idea where the marijuana became involved, but investigators said that with the amount that she had in her system, she more than likely consumed it no later than one hour before her time of death.

Little facts kept coming out. Like the fact that even though everyone close to her said she wasn't a drinker and she would drink maybe once per month, they found a bottle of Absolut Vodka in the wreck. You can even see it when they show pictures of the crime scene.

Then the news came out that she did smoke marijuana occasionally. Both of these disclosures offer plausibility to the findings by the medical examiner, the guy HBO hired to go investigate the medical examiner's findings, and the private investigator the family hired who had the samples retested.

IMO, she had a delusional episode and became so disoriented that she began to drink the vodka. I have no idea where the marijuana became involved, but investigators said that with the amount that she had in her system, she more than likely consumed it no later than one hour before her time of death.

Marijuana can trigger psychotic episodes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't seem to shake this documentary. Something about it REALLY bothers me...it has some sort of really dark feeling to it if that makes any sense. I'm always upset when I hear about young children dying, but something about this whole thing just doesn't sit well with me at all. I'm very disturbed by it...