Wanny's Defensive ranks as Miami head coach from 99-04

Under this theory our bad defense lies on Gaileys shoulders. Not sure I buy this.

Gailey pretty much said the Defense was 100% one voice the past two years...And that voice was Edwards...Chan has already been quite honest that he is not hands on with the Defense...In fact I was a bit surprised an NFL HC would admit he was that removed from one side of the ball the way Gailey did...So...If you believe Chan...It was Edwards... B-)

The league's changed a lot since his resignation in 2004. He is a known commodity, but it's not a slam dunk he'll get the team in the top half of the league without better talent. And if they convert to a 43, it'll be difficult because they lack a RDE, SLB, and WLB, not to mention some players will be learning a new system for the third time in 4 seasons.

It's not impossible that they'll improve. It's just a very tall order.

Agree on all of that.

Then again, not only could they do a lot worse, and already did repeatedly, but very few if any DC in the league right now taking over the Bills job is a slam dunk. Perhaps none is a slam dunk. Bellichick, probably the best defensive mind and coach in the league, presided over one of the worst defenses in league history.

I'd be more interested in the ranks when he was defensive coordinator (Dallas, Miami) instead of head coach.

Apparently, Dave was never DC in miami, but HC in Chicago (93-98), HC in Miami (99-04).

As HC, his defenses were in the top half of the league 11 of 12 yrs, and top 10 half the time.

As DC, figures follow.

League ranks (defense) with Dallas Cowboys:

Yr......Yds.....Pts.....Run....Pass.....W-L

'89......20......24.......18........20.......1-15 (!)

'90......10......15.......18.........2.........7-9

'91......17......17........8........23.......11-5.....<- playoffs, lost in 2nd rnd.

'92........1.......5........1..........5.......13-3.....<- superbowl, 52-17 over Buffalo

Looks to me as though this guy tends to have a marked positive effect upon defenses. Let's hire 'im! ;)

I don't mind having the guy that kicked our ass in the superbowl back here to repent. :devil:

~AS