Buddy says "No Excuses" - what does that mean?

Top-notch coaches LOVE to step into the middle of a trainwreck! They should be begging for the opportunity!

are the bills really a train wreck? there's gotta be talented coaches out there who think they can work with a team still young enough (as a whole) to mold them as he sees fit.

just came across this SI article highlighting potential candidates.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/12/29/black.monday.primer/2.html

however, as stated in the article: ""I've never seen such a dearth of candidates,'' a long-time league observer told me. "There have been so many firings for so long now that the body bags have started to stack up. It's getting harder to find quality candidates.''

do you think any of these guys mentioned would be a good fit?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this article posted on the main site here at TBD:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-wrapup

Here is a quick excerpt:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix would rather wait a week before providing a detailed assessment on what went wrong this season, and how he intends to fix it. When it comes to sharing a general thought, Nix says there was “no excuse” for the team’s seven-game skid.

So the question is what is your opinion on what "no excuses" means. Following this organization since the early 90's (hence my user name) in the old days Ralph Wilson would want someone's head for disappointing seasons -- i.e. DC Walt Corey in 1995, ST coach Ronnie Jones in 2000 (though Wade refused and quit), and Gregg Williams after the collapse of 2003. Over the past few years it's clear that Wilson and his minions have let things slide such as allowing Mike Mularkey to coach after the 5-11 season in 2005 (he saw the writing on the wall and resigned), and allowing Dick Jauron to remain HC despite a very very poor season in 2008 that saw another collapse. For these reasons, I don't feel that Buffalo will fire Chan Gailey, but I do get the impression that his 3 year contract won't be renewed if he goes 6-10 again.

This leads me to believe that George Edwards will finally be fired and rightfully so.

LMAO so farmer Ted says he is going to fix this and there is no excuse. Um Buddy YOU are why we are in this mess. Bad Coaching hires, Bad personnel decisions in both FA, draft and signing the 'Amish BB gun' to huge starter money.

You are right there are no excuses, do the right thing and go into Russ Brandon's office and resign.

it means George Edwards is gone, along with maybe the OL coach or something...

If Buddy had any stones and any real desire to make his name as a GM, he would fire Chan Gailey and bring in a top-notch replacement.

It's clear that Chan is in over his head. We can either do something about it now, or "stay the course" in the name of continuity and do it next year.

When you don't have the right man, there is no value to waiting a certain period of time before rectifying the situation.

Yeah, it would be a tougher call to make now than next year after another 6-10 or 7-9 season. That's what the movers and shakers do: make tough calls.

Defenses really don't win championships anymore. Not unless they are historically good.

Green Bay, New Orleans and New England: three of the top SB favorites have two things in common. Elite QB play, and crappy defense.

Meanwhile, I see SF as one and done. Not because of their defense, but because Alex Smith is just okay.

Why the O-Line coach? Thought our line played pretty well this year.

http://sports.yahoo....ap-bills-wrapup

Here is a quick excerpt:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix would rather wait a week before providing a detailed assessment on what went wrong this season, and how he intends to fix it. When it comes to sharing a general thought, Nix says there was "no excuse" for the team's seven-game skid.

So the question is what is your opinion on what "no excuses" means.

The article was penned by occasional TBD poster John Wawrow. Perhaps he might care to expatiate?

Personally, I think it's like the joke about the monkey crapping the bed, for which his owner spanks him and throws him out the window.

I think Nix ought to spank himself and jump out the window for not keeping vet depth on OL such as Hangartner, for relying on Merriman to come back/stay healthy and provide a pass rush, and for failing to bring in talent at WR and D through FA to replace Evans and as Plan B on Merriman.

Past that, it could mean anything from the relatively mild "fire Edwards" to a plan to get out the broom and sweep Chan, his assistants, Fitz, and Johnson all out the door.

LMAO so farmer Ted says he is going to fix this and there is no excuse. Um Buddy YOU are why we are in this mess. Bad Coaching hires, Bad personnel decisions in both FA, draft and signing the 'Amish BB gun' to huge starter money.

You are right there are no excuses, do the right thing and go into Russ Brandon's office and resign.

Do you feel better?

Why the O-Line coach? Thought our line played pretty well this year.

well, something has to give

It can't be a lack of talent and bad coaching,and good coaching with a lack of talent. Someone is not doing his job well enough.

If it's talent then fire Nix. If you think we have talent but cannot win more games than under Jauron then fire Gailey.

Just like the OL can't be one of the 100 excuses for Fitz's inconsistent (but totally consistent with his career) play but then also be a good OL.

Fans want ti every way: everyone is doing a good job and we have all the right people. Okay, then don't whine and complain next season when they continue to lose.

I'll say it again: when you have people who are in over their heads, NOTHING good is accomplished by keeping them there until some artificial quota of time has passed. Do you want to win or not?

Whether some guy on a message board can name an up and coming young candidate who would be better than Gailey is irrelevant. That's why we have a GM.

If I wanted to sit down and take some time I could come up with some ideas. Isn't that why the front office at OBD gets a paycheck? To be relevant in the league?

Edited by TheFunPolice

Here is a quick excerpt:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix would rather wait a week before providing a detailed assessment on what went wrong this season, and how he intends to fix it. When it comes to sharing a general thought, Nix says there was “no excuse” for the team’s seven-game skid.

So the question is what is your opinion on what "no excuses" means. Following this organization since the early 90's (hence my user name) in the old days Ralph Wilson would want someone's head for disappointing seasons -- i.e. DC Walt Corey in 1995, ST coach Ronnie Jones in 2000 (though Wade refused and quit), and Gregg Williams after the collapse of 2003. Over the past few years it's clear that Wilson and his minions have let things slide such as allowing Mike Mularkey to coach after the 5-11 season in 2005 (he saw the writing on the wall and resigned), and allowing Dick Jauron to remain HC despite a very very poor season in 2008 that saw another collapse. For these reasons, I don't feel that Buffalo will fire Chan Gailey, but I do get the impression that his 3 year contract won't be renewed if he goes 6-10 again.

This leads me to believe that George Edwards will finally be fired and rightfully so.

Leave it to Buddy, to wait a week until all the other guys that got fired today to do anything. In typical 6-10 Buffalo fashion, Buffalo waits while others make moves to improve.

Buddy needs to be put out to pasture... Im sorry but we dont need a 70 year old GM, who paid a career backup more money than Jim Kelly !

So you think he'll release the QB? Not likely. Whether we draft a 1st round QB or not, looks like we're stuck with Fitz on the roster for the next 3 years until the second out.

I'm not saying release Fitz, I'm not saying keep Fitz, but as I understand the details provided of Fitz contract, he has no guarantees beyond a $15 million signing bonus and an injury clause (he gets $9 million if injuried while on the roster). So we can cut him any time, as I understand it.

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

Leave it to Buddy, to wait a week until all the other guys that got fired today to do anything. In typical 6-10 Buffalo fashion, Buffalo waits while others make moves to improve.

Buddy needs to be put out to pasture... Im sorry but we dont need a 70 year old GM, who paid a career backup more money than Jim Kelly !

Maybe he is seeing what other Head Coaches get fired that could be potential DC candidates?

And comparing contracts in 2011 to contracts in 1995 is absolutely ridiculous. By that standard EVERYONE is getting more money than HoFers like Kelly, Reed, Thomas, and Bruce.

Get over yourself :rolleyes:

Seriously, if there's one guy to hang on to it'd be the OL coach. With all the injuries and the lack of depth, they had the occasional turnstyle moment, but they never "stunk up the joint" as a few years back.

Agree completely. The O line was the biggest surpise of the year. Joe D'Alessandris has done an outstanding job. Even with all the injuries, the Bills still managed to finish with one of their lowest sacks against total in team history and also were towards the top of the league in rushing.

Ok, I'll re-quote and re-post....

Edwards just got fired. You ok now?

Here is a quick excerpt:

Dear Buddy:

Why the hell do you keep recycling the same damn tired cliches? Heaven knows all you have to do is study the film. Get a clue.

Sincerely,

Dick Jauron

I'll never understand

Agreed.

so why the delay in the state of the bills address?

Ralph always has a year-end 'debrief' meeting at his Michigan home a week or so after the season. Once it's over, the offseason game plan will be discussed with the media.