Get Matt Flynn

jkx2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I hate it when people lump players into these broad categories.

Positive or negative, Flynn's success will have nothing to do with him once being a backup.

If it did, then Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Steve Young would also have to be a part of the argument

Exactly. I hate it when people lump players into these broad categories.

Positive or negative, Flynn's success will have nothing to do with him once being a backup.

If it did, then Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Steve Young would also have to be a part of the argument

To be fair, a late round backup usually has different question marks then does a guy drafted to be groomed... And bradys a freak.

Aaron Rodgers

I meant the last backup QB from Green Bay to come to the Buffalo Bills, Mr.Weo. Craig Nall. He's done in the NFL. I have feeling this organization would make Aaron Rodgers wanna quit too...

He'll cost a king's ransom now. The time to have gotten him was earlier in the season or last year offering packers tantalizing trade like multiple draft packs.

If you listen to comments from packet players they are I'm awe of the guy, some even more so than Rodgers. Odds are low bills win a free agent bidding war for his services.

Never learn what? Rob Johnson is now the gold standard of all backup QB situations? All of the other counter examples should be dismissed?

How about Kevin Kolb, or any of the many others mentioned? The Bills should be working on developing their own good QB situations, perhaps learning from teams like GB by investing in prospects more than usual, instead of overpaying for someone else's developed prospects.

The Bills will never win if they waste their assets and consume resources by turning 1st rounders into 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths, and spending picks they need on other teams' 7th rounders who have matured in value. They should be looking for the next Flynn in the draft (Kellen Moore?) rather than spending first-day picks on a guy they could have had for a 7th.

The Bills will only win if they keep hitting on their own picks and making insightful choices on the FA market a la Barnett.

I meant the last backup QB from Green Bay to come to the Buffalo Bills, Mr.Weo. Craig Nall. He's done in the NFL. I have feeling this organization would make Aaron Rodgers wanna quit too...

That was Brian Brohm, dude.

He's a free agent. We don't have to trade anything to get him. And he's cold weather groomed

Unrestricted? Seems young...

EDIT: Alrighty, guess he is (because he was a 7th rounder?). I am guessing given the trade chips ponied up for Cassell and Kolb that the Packers would be STUPID not to franchise and trade the guy. Yes, there is a risk of being on the hook for a $14.5MM backup, but there is such a premium on QB play that Flynn is most certainly going to be a hot item. There are going to be first round picks moved to acquire Flynn, IMO. If GB can get even a third for Flynn they have made out on this situation. Regardless, I just don't see him coming with no strings attached.

And should that not be the case, I definitely don't see him coming to Buffalo as a UFA, unless the Bills really are willing to pull the trigger on their out clause with Fitz in March, and are willing to swallow what they already paid Fitz to take a giant risk and give Flynn money that NO ONE else in the league will match. That's all very un-Ralph.

It's a pipe dream, folks. Our best hope for an incoming QB prospect is in the draft.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

How many backup QBs turned starters on new teams have really panned out? I can't think of

very many. I guess you could name Matt Cassel (OK in KC). Matt Moore hasn't done too well

in Miami, Fitz is nothing special here, Kevin Kolb has been decent in Arizona.

You could maybe count Brett Favre (2nd round pick in Atl traded to GB), but he was very young

at the time of the trade.

The "mad bomber" did OK with Oakland, after backing Kemp.

Unrestricted? Seems young...

EDIT: Alrighty, guess he is (because he was a 7th rounder?). I am guessing given the trade chips ponied up for Cassell and Kolb that the Packers would be STUPID not to franchise and trade the guy. Yes, there is a risk of being on the hook for a $14.5MM backup, but there is such a premium on QB play that Flynn is most certainly going to be a hot item. There are going to be first round picks moved to acquire Flynn, IMO. If GB can get even a third for Flynn they have made out on this situation. Regardless, I just don't see him coming with no strings attached.

And should that not be the case, I definitely don't see him coming to Buffalo as a UFA, unless the Bills really are willing to pull the trigger on their out clause with Fitz in March, and are willing to swallow what they already paid Fitz to take a giant risk and give Flynn money that NO ONE else in the league will match. That's all very un-Ralph.

It's a pipe dream, folks. Our best hope for an incoming QB prospect is in the draft.

Cassel did have a full season as starter which is bit more of a resume.

Cassel did have a full season as starter which is bit more of a resume.

The resume doesn't matter as much as perceived value, and you could certainly present the alternative case that Cassell was especially in a system designed for QB success no matter who was behind center (and he didn't make the playoffs).

The resume doesn't matter as much as perceived value, and you could certainly present the alternative case that Cassell was especially in a system designed for QB success no matter who was behind center (and he didn't make the playoffs).

And where does the value come from? Confidence in ability. Where does that confidence come from? Extended success and film really does help. Especially for a late round guy. Someone like kolb, or schaub had high grades leaguewide already so a few good games make an impact. A late rounder needs to answer more.

Edited by NoSaint