Gailey denies the 'stache is calling the D

San-O

why so secretive ? Because the question would never end. Why make a switch now ? Does this mean you think there is enough talent on the defense? What does Edwards do on game day if Wannastadt is calling the D? Did Dave ask to get a shot at calling the D? Will Dave be the D coordinator next year ? Do the players want Wannstadt to call the D? Do you want Wannstadt to call the D ? and on and on and on -

why so secretive ? Because the question would never end. Why make a switch now ? Does this mean you think there is enough talent on the defense? What does Edwards do on game day if Wannastadt is calling the D? Did Dave ask to get a shot at calling the D? Will Dave be the D coordinator next year ? Do the players want Wannstadt to call the D? Do you want Wannstadt to call the D ? and on and on and on -

I guess. Maybe they didn't want to shake things up TOO much while in the midst of their 7 game losing streak.

Maybe they make the change earlier in the year and the Bills don't get smacked by Dallas and Miami.

:unsure:

I mean the Dolphins had the courage to fire their head coach before the season ended, and they still beat the Bills 2 x. How bad is that. I would be more concerned about answering questions like that.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

They fired there coach, but still has the same offense and defense in place. It really was no surprise that they beat us.

I don't think Chan is the type that would fire a coach midseason, unless we were in the Luck sweepstakes.

Who is calling the D and why so secretive about it. Isn't the guy with the head-set on the coach calling the D?

Does anyne have an update on this.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

I'm sure Wanny said to Gailey..."Wait, they think I'M calling the plays for this mess of a defense? Tell them it's not me! I'll never get another job again!"...

They fired there coach, but still has the same offense and defense in place. It really was no surprise that they beat us.

I don't think Chan is the type that would fire a coach midseason, unless we were in the Luck sweepstakes.

IIRC, Edwards had just been offered the DC job at Florida...and then backed out to take the job on Gailey's coaching staff. No doubt, Gailey appreciates that...he would never fire him mid-season.

I'm sure Wanny said to Gailey..."Wait, they think I'M calling the plays for this mess of a defense? Tell them it's not me! I'll never get another job again!"...

That's funny. But really, who IS calling the defense these last two or three games?

As a fan, I think the team has an obligatation to at least let people know who is coaching this mess.

IMO

Edwards has been calling the signals all along. Hopefully not for long. I know sometimes you cannot take a player's word for things when discussing the team or his coaches, but I would bet anything that Kelsay was not just flat lying about this:

Veteran outside linebacker Chris Kelsay made a point of saying, “(George Edwards) did a great job of calling the game. I know the guys in the lockerroom are really happy for this win ... but moreso just proud of our defensive coordinator and how he put us in position to make plays.”

When pressed on that comment, Kelsay added, “Any time coaches are under fire, I look at myself ... what I can do to help the situation.

“Defensively, as a unit, we take the bulk of the responsibility on our own shoulders because, ultimately, we’re the ones on the field playing the game. Coaches coach, players play ... they can only do so much from the sidelines.”

He concluded, “It’s the truth. That’s the nature of our business, they’re going to get the bulk of the criticism, but, a lot of times, it’s undeserved.”

IIRC, Edwards had just been offered the DC job at Florida...and then backed out to take the job on Gailey's coaching staff. No doubt, Gailey appreciates that...he would never fire him mid-season.

I had forgotten about that.

Who is calling the D and why so secretive about it. Isn't the guy with the head-set on the coach calling the D?

Does anyne have an update on this.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

As much as I want it to matter, I really don't think it does. Even if Wanny is the tremendous upgrade at DC that people think he is, I don't think our guys care anymore. Besides, I'm not interested in sacrificing a relatively decent draft position for the sake of a 7-9 season.

As much as I want it to matter, I really don't think it does. Even if Wanny is the tremendous upgrade at DC that people think he is, I don't think our guys care anymore. Besides, I'm not interested in sacrificing a relatively decent draft position for the sake of a 7-9 season.

I am. Wins sell tickets and reduce blackouts.

Two (or maybe 3?) weeks ago, during the radio broadcast of the game, John Murphy said that Wanny had "taken a larger role in the Defense". He didnt say that Wan was calling the plays, just that he was contributing more. That's all we got.

Well if that's true. the 'Stache should be cleaning out his office come Monday along with Edwards IMO.

The NFL has pretty much been a "what have you done lately" kind of a place (Bills excluded). What has the 'Stache done?

I believe rumors were saying later that Edwards was calling plays when in the 3-4, and when they lined up in the 4-3, 'stache was calling them.

But I believe the belief/theory around here is that when the defence struggled/played poorly it was Edwards making the call, and when it looked good and worked, that was 'stache/anyone making the calls

Edited by apuszczalowski

I am. Wins sell tickets and reduce blackouts.

I don't think our draft position will change that much with a win. I could of course be mistaken and often am.

I do think that even if we care and just play our hearts out, at this point NE and Belichek can beat us with their scrubs just like the Jets did last year.

Great point! Chan was fired right before the NFL season began by the Chiefs a few years ago. He knows how it feels to be let go at an embarrassing time for a professional coach. I don't think anyone could squeeze anymore out of the D talent we have. People can argue about blitzing but when you watch Batten, Moats, Morrison or Andra Davis they don't have the skills or quickness to do that effectively. If you blitz Barnett all game you are losing your best tackler in the middle of the field. Sheppard is a large work in progress! All you can do with this group is hope for turn-overs and hold on.