Raise Taxes!

Jauronimo

To fund such worthwhile projects as these:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286628/65-billion-wasted-andrew-stiles

Lest we be overrun with horny Asian fowl all jacked up on Bolivian marching powder.

Certain posters on this board are raking it in:

● $593,000 to the Yerkes National Primate Research Center to study the neurological origins of feces-throwing behavior in chimpanzees. A research paper funded by this grant recently observed: “Some of the chimpanzees will pile feces or wet chow in their cage and wait for visitors to pass by before throwing this at them.”

A $147,000 grant to the American Museum of Magic in Marshall, Mich. The museum, which purports to “celebrate magicians and their magic,” intends to use the funds to “better understand its various audiences and their potential interest in the history of magic entertainment.”

They did a great job making that money disappear.

Thank you! Thank you! I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Lest we be overrun with horny Asian fowl all jacked up on Bolivian marching powder.

While that is fascinating and wasteful....

the big three, until they addressed this country will be on a path to financial troubles. I don't think people truly care to understand the vast projected outlays on Healthcare alone in this country over the next 25 years.... it ill make expenditures in the War Department look like free lunch.... Healthcare, no matter what we do was far as funding whether is be my taxes or individual payment may break this land regardless... unless the drive to live longer and health all of the suddent becomes out of vogue...

While that is fascinating and wasteful....

the big three, until they addressed this country will be on a path to financial troubles. I don't think people truly care to understand the vast projected outlays on Healthcare alone in this country over the next 25 years.... it ill make expenditures in the War Department look like free lunch.... Healthcare, no matter what we do was far as funding whether is be my taxes or individual payment may break this land regardless... unless the drive to live longer and health all of the suddent becomes out of vogue...

I'm just curious; are you typing with your nose?

While increasing government spending and citizen dependency are delightful side effects of continuously raising taxes, you must remember that the real reason that the Left and Mr. Obama insist on it is ?

FAIRNESS !

as they define it anyway...................

American liberals find high incomes more upsetting than poverty

Democrats in the U.S. have decided to make inequality a central issue in next year’s elections. I’d question whether that’s good politics. Even in hard times, American voters aren’t easily persuaded by appeals to class interests.

Yet even setting electoral tactics aside, a focus on inequality seems unlikely to lead to better policy, especially if you look at how current U.S. policy choices stack up against those of other advanced industrialized economies.

The reason is that inequality isn’t one issue but a writhing bundle of issues. Unpack it and you see there’s no easy remedy. It demands more thought and humility than most politicians can muster.

For the American left, the question comes down to the incomes of “the 1 percent” and their taxes. Even if, like me, you think that a rapidly widening gap between rich and poor calls for a response and that progressive taxes are ethically correct, this obsession with the peak of the income pyramid is much too simple-minded.

{snip}

The awkward truth is that the U.S. income tax system is anomalous not because it taxes the rich lightly but because it taxes everybody else lightly. ...

American liberals find high incomes more upsetting than poverty. It’s an instance of how distorting the preoccupation with inequality can be. An enlightened liberal agenda should include higher taxes on the rich -- and higher taxes on the middle class as well. That agenda needs those revenue streams not to punish the 1 percent but to pay for low-wage subsidies, other supports for the working poor and a more effective safety net. It would prioritize K-12 education, vocational training and other main avenues of opportunity for the less well-off. It would attack rent-seeking, broken corporate governance and hidden subsidies to industries that don’t add value.

These things would narrow the gap between rich and poor. Focus too narrowly on inequality, though, and you might forget the rest. If you do that, you will have forgotten why inequality matters.

While I agree that some of these are a waste of taxpayer money and I give Sen. Coburn props for bringing it up you have to track each of those examples back on an individual level to get a better perspective of whether or not it's waste.

For instance, studying the ways in which games are helping people learn, play, and connect with each other may be a good investment for designing games that help us problem solve.

What is the reason for the tree census? What are they planning to use the information for?

As far as 120 million being payed out to dead people, perhaps they should take just a small portion of that money and use it to fund an investigation into who's getting rich off the taxpayer dime.

While I agree that some of these are a waste of taxpayer money and I give Sen. Coburn props for bringing it up you have to track each of those examples back on an individual level to get a better perspective of whether or not it's waste.

For instance, studying the ways in which games are helping people learn, play, and connect with each other may be a good investment for designing games that help us problem solve.

What is the reason for the tree census? What are they planning to use the information for?

As far as 120 million being payed out to dead people, perhaps they should take just a small portion of that money and use it to fund an investigation into who's getting rich off the taxpayer dime.

Maybe the gaming industry should pay for that.

It's for lining the pockets of someone that wanted to count trees

Take a small portion of what money? It's gone you nitwit.

Maybe the gaming industry should pay for that.

It's for lining the pockets of someone that wanted to count trees

Take a small portion of what money? It's gone you nitwit.

I'm sure there is an allocated amount of money this year that will end up being payed out to dead people.

I have no problem with allocating money to causes that will increase the public welfare. Whether that be designing games or counting trees. You can't tell me it's about lining the pockets of someone who wants to count trees without knowing all the information on the project.

I'm sure there is an allocated amount of money this year that will end up being payed out to dead people.

I have no problem with allocating money to causes that will increase the public welfare. Whether that be designing games or counting trees. You can't tell me it's about lining the pockets of someone who wants to count trees without knowing all the information on the project.

So, you're ok with that? In addition, I don't think I want to pay taxes for people to count trees. Do you, really?

So... how much of YOUR money are you willing to allocate then BFBF???? Just curious... How much do you pay in taxes now, and how much more are you willing to chip in for the "public welfare"???

You do realize that this year ends in twos day you double nitwit.

And by allocated do you mean that it was set aside on January 1st 2011 specifically for dead people?? You're a triple nitwit. And a fat one at that.

Edited by Chef Jim

So, you're ok with that? In addition, I don't think I want to pay taxes for people to count trees. Do you, really?

No I'm not OK with that. My point with that was that we could spend some time figuring out who the dead people are, and spend some the money allocated to them investigating and prosecuting the people collecting it. Do you have a problem with that?

Second. If counting trees has an applicable purpose, such as prevention of fire load buildup, then yes I'm fine with spending tax money to count trees.

Edited by Bigfatbillsfan

So... how much of YOUR money are you willing to allocate then BFBF???? Just curious... How much do you pay in taxes now, and how much more are you willing to chip in for the "public welfare"???

His parent's taxes should be increased and he should have to pay taxes on the $50 a week he is made to pay for living in their basement. If they didn't give him $100 a week in allowance he would have a problem.

You do realize that this year ends in twos day you double nitwit.

And by allocated do you mean that it was set aside on January 1st 2011 specifically for dead people?? You're a triple nitwit. And a fat one at that.

The current fiscal year ends September 30th 2012. The end of civilization as we know takes place on either Dec. 21st or 22nd 2012. You might be thinking of the calender year.

His parent's taxes should be increased and he should have to pay taxes on the $50 a week he is made to pay for living in their basement. If they didn't give him $100 a week in allowance he would have a problem.

I'm married with 3 daughters, have a great job that pays well and good benefits, and I own my own home. To top things off I have a hot wife. Life's been good to me so far.

You are unbelievable. "Designing games that help us problem solve." What the hell do you think a GAME is? :lol:

The author lists some of the more egregious examples, yet the vast majority is inefficiency ($120 million paid out in retirement and disability payments to deceased federal workers) and fraud ($1 billion in tax credits for energy-efficient home improvements awarded to individuals who, according to a survey by the Treasury’s secretary general for tax administration, “had no record of owning a home.” Recipients included hundreds of prisoners, and children as young as three).

So let's remove those for a minute. The rest of his examples added together total $30,845,000. Still a substantial sum for sure, but come to find out, of that $30,845,000, $27,800,000 are tied up in two things.

• 17.8 million in aid to China
  • $10 million awarded by the U.S. Agency for International Development to a Pakistani arts organization to create “130 episodes of an indigenously produced Sesame Street.”

Odd that, China and Pakistan. Wonder if they are areas of concern?

In any case, the remaining examples amount to $3,045,000. So, of the 6.5 billion of waste for totally frivolous spending, you want to quibble over quail?

Senator Coburn clearly thinks that because we already know that cocaine is bad and increases sexual promiscuity, it is no longer worth studying. I rather strongly disagree with this, and so I’d like to use this post to talk a bit about WHY we still need to study the effects cocaine and addictive drugs in general, why we need to study the effects on sexual behavior in particular, and why quail are a good choice.

Way to keep your eye on the ball. :thumbsup:

Edited by Booster4324

The author lists some of the more egregious examples, yet the vast majority is inefficiency ($120 million paid out in retirement and disability payments to deceased federal workers) and fraud ($1 billion in tax credits for energy-efficient home improvements awarded to individuals who, according to a survey by the Treasury’s secretary general for tax administration, “had no record of owning a home.” Recipients included hundreds of prisoners, and children as young as three).

So let's remove those for a minute. The rest of his examples added together total $30,845,000. Still a substantial sum for sure, but come to find out, of that $30,845,000, $27,800,000 are tied up in two things.

• 17.8 million in aid to China
  • $10 million awarded by the U.S. Agency for International Development to a Pakistani arts organization to create “130 episodes of an indigenously produced Sesame Street.”

Odd that, China and Pakistan. Wonder if they are areas of concern?

In any case, the remaining examples amount to $3,045,000. So, of the 6.5 billion of waste for totally frivolous spending, you want to quibble over quail?

Way to keep your eye on the ball. :thumbsup:

Not too familiar with jokes or humor, I see. Thank you for that truly awesome showcase of addition, though.