Bringing in a replacement Center seems like a no-brainer

Did anyone notice how bad the snaps were in the Denver game? I mean, probably the worst shotgun snaps I've ever seen in my life at any level of football (including High School). Fitzy did an amazing job of handling them, but ya gotta ask "WHY!!?" I know that during the Miami game the excuse was that the rain made it too hard to snap, yet they stayed in 5 wideout Shotgun for most of the game despite the god-awful snaps and lack of good WRs. How can a professional football team not have a single healthy player that can snap a football? It just defies logic. If they can bring in replacement Kickers, why not a Center??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually at the beginning of his stepping in Brown threw some high ones yes, but he calmed down and the rest looked alright (right after Fitz went under center on a run and then they had him practicing on the sidelines). Plus he was a effing monster in the blocking game. I saw him beat just once and he clearly slipped. One of CJs long runs was right behind him and Levitre and he looked decent at pass blocking. I admired the performance from a rookie. Our whole front 6 on the line has been just decimated by injuries this year, I am impressed by the people Nix picked up off the street and the job line coach JoeD has done with the unit on the whole.

Actually at the beginning of his stepping in Brown threw some high ones yes, but he calmed down and the rest looked alright (right after Fitz went under center on a run and then they had him practicing on the sidelines). Plus he was a effing monster in the blocking game. I saw him beat just once and he clearly slipped. One of CJs long runs was right behind him and Levitre and he looked decent at pass blocking. I admired the performance from a rookie. Our whole front 6 on the line has been just decimated by injuries this year, I am impressed by the people Nix picked up off the street and the job line coach JoeD has done with the unit on the whole.

Good to know the guy can block, but I don't have any confidence in his snapping ability. This game in New England might be snowing and if Chan insists on failing with 5 wideout shotgun all day, I just may have to smash my TV. Let Spiller have 20+ touches and this might be a good game.

doesnt every football team have a backup lineman that can play center and guard?

Chan just calls his plays, no matter the situation or opponent...clear signs of a bad coach

The center, fresh from the NFL dumpster, did settle down last week. What's odd is the way the Bills fill a roster for the past few years.

Having Levitre at center for at least a half, when he was clearly failing (and hurting the team)a few weeks ago said a lot about this sad sack GM and

his coach. They were flat out not prepared after having a full week to bring someone in to replace Wood. Then Urbik goes down, and they do it again. What serious football

team would do this? This is something you would see in SEMI-PRO football. Any GM in the league would resign in disgust if management forced this on him.

So its one of the 2 either complete incompetence from a senile GM. Or the meddling owner telling his GM were unwilling to spend a few bucks and bring someone in who can snap

a friggin football.

Did anyone notice how bad the snaps were in the Denver game? I mean, probably the worst shotgun snaps I've ever seen in my life at any level of football (including High School). Fitzy did an amazing job of handling them, but ya gotta ask "WHY!!?" I know that during the Miami game the excuse was that the rain made it too hard to snap, yet they stayed in 5 wideout Shotgun for most of the game despite the god-awful snaps and lack of good WRs. How can a professional football team not have a single healthy player that can snap a football? It just defies logic. If they can bring in replacement Kickers, why not a Center??

Levitre looked as bad at center as anyone I've seen.

BTW - a replacement kicker doesn't need to know any plays so bringing one in is easy. A center needs to know the plays and the line calls and bringing in someone on Wednesday for the weeks games doesn't give enought time for that to happen.

Levitre looked as bad at center as anyone I've seen.

BTW - a replacement kicker doesn't need to know any plays so bringing one in is easy. A center needs to know the plays and the line calls and bringing in someone on Wednesday for the weeks games doesn't give enought time for that to happen.

Good point. Too late to do anything now. But still, they should've had a better backup Center. They should've brought someone in after Wood went down. They should stop using shotgun formations if the Center can't get it done. (off-topic) They should stop putting Tashard Choice out at WR or HB or on the field at all.

Your question begs the assumption that a decent C is available.

Max has a valid point in that the Bills tried Levitre there first, then went to Urbik after Levitre struggled with snaps.

But yes, once any team is missing their top two centers, they are in a very tough spot.

The thing is, Urbik had been the one who took snaps as a center in preseason, and was the stated reason why we released Hangartner - because Urbik could play both center and guard.

So he was the designated backup going into the season, so indicated on the depth chart.

Levitre had never (to anyone's knowledge) practiced at center before and had already played two different line positions, so I never understood that particular Miami game decision.

Did Gailey think he'd had an S tattooed on his chest and was hiding blue tights and a red cape at the back of his phone booth -er, locker? Nuts.

Of course, I never understood our getting rid of Hangartner either. Somehow he couldn't play backup center and guard for us, but he can start at guard all season for Carolina which is 6th in the league in QB hits and 15th in sacks?

(edit: what link should be: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/09/06/nix-on-hangartner-release/ )

The backup center eventually did settle down after a while. The worst was actually Levitre playing center against Miami on the road. That was very bad and Levitre never got comfortable.

Truth is the Bills did not have a legitimate backup C/G on the roster to start the season. Urbik proved he can handle center so, assumning we have the same starters as last year, if Wood goes down again we move Urbik to center and Rhinhardt to RG. The old double switch.