Chan's offensive Choice s this season

bowery4

I posted this on Bflo Rumbles too, interested in the difference in the replies on the two fanboards.

I like Chan Gailey, just want to get that out of the way. I loved him at the beginning of the season, the "Megamind" nick name seemed fitting after the first 7 or so games. Now, I think I get why Jerry Jones let him go. I know every coach has an offensive philosophy about their team and the players they have. I like that in some ways Chan is very good at using the cards he was dealt and the cards he picked from the pile (I especially like the Oline coaching job this year, man you, the line coach and Nix all deserve some credit for that). You have built some depth and are developing some players there. Another tackle might be good in the early part of the draft though.

But I don't understand.

You have a back, running for 12 yards a carry (on average) in the first quarter (and by the 3rd still 9+ yards) why isn't he your number 1 offensive weapon? Why only 16 or 18 total plays go to him? We had the same situation a few times in the early part of the season with FJ and I didn't get it then either. Look I am happy we won, I am happy the team (the D mostly) showed some improvement and probably saved a coach or 2 from the unemployment line today (although I would credit that on Denver's college style run offense, one dimensionality). You go with what is working Chan! Too many of your calls were are just exasperating as a fan. They make you and your offense predictable and the sets are 99% of reading your offense, what I mean is if I see CJ or Choice in the I behind Fitz, the chances are 99%, it is a run up the middle. And when Freddie was healthy, why couldn't CJ and FJ share the backfield more? We have two very high quality backs, use them please. Together.

It is a hell of a threat to defense against.

I am lost as to why you gave up on Brad Smith in the shotgun on short yardage? I understand we have a little different personnel in there now and some teams picked up on it and stopped it but percentage wise it worked. But you never introduced any variations. Sometimes it was Brad and Corey back there, how about Corey gets the snap (the guy is a downhill bowling ball and why you almost never, never give him a run play is totally beyond me)? How about Brad throws it, and it needn't be a long pass (although we know you like to beat people with long passes in short yardage situations and it worked a lot when Fitz was playing better but the last 7 games?). How many millions are we paying him to be a bad decoy 2nd wr, is that why you brought him in? And of course the title of this, Tashid, Chan I understand having a loyalty but CJ is way better, you know it.

We really NEED to build a more multidimensional running team that can and does use the 2 TE sets and other basic NFL offensive thinking. You have BB in NE* showing you and us all season long how effective 2 TEs are, why can't we copy it a bit (the NFL is a copycat league for a reason)? The funny thing is, I seem to remember seeing it in the NE* game. We should be a balanced football team, frankly right now you throw it off balance with too many pass plays. This team needs to use some more play action too. it will take pressure off Fitz and make the line better, sure it is great on a screen and you use it well for those but it is good for a lot of things. Fitz is good under center too, the line is better than we thought, he should not ALWAYS be in the shot gun. Cudos for getting Fitz out of the pocket a bit the last few games. I wondered about that too. I also think this offense, could be something with the hurry up if you are going to keep it the way it is. Make D substitutions a lot of work for the other teams and use the finesse that the team is seemingly built for.

At the beginning of the year, I never expected our Oline (or TE) to be so good this year, Nix is good at picking up street guys and not wasting draft picks while still (in a way) "building through the draft". I am impressed by that, I can't remember ever having a GM that was good at that. I see him doing it a bit the last few weeks and hope he finds more good players.

I guess, I should address the D too, to be honest my only real opinions about it are that we need to commit to a 3/4 or 4/3scheme. The injuries and combination scheme just killed us this year. I am not sure which one is a better fit (although with our current personnel and coaches, I would guess 4/3). I am not even sure Geo. Edwards needs to go (but feel that he does). What I have seen this year is our O can play well enough to win when our D is good to decent. The injuries killed us and we NEED 2 pass rushers still (I want Shawn M to be one but too many ?s about his health, he will be back in any case next year) we still need to bring 2 in this off season. Raid a good CFL team, draft one and FA another one would be my plan. I think all this playing time that the young guys are getting is great (and some of them have and will continue to step up), don't like the why of it but that is what it is. One thing I do wish is Chan would take more responsibility for the D unit. A few of the pressers this year were disappointing so far as his answers about it. It is his team, he needs to be in charge.

Thanks for reading look forward to your input and Happy Holidays and New Years.

Go Bills!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I don't understand.

You have a back, running for 12 yards a carry (on average) in the first quarter (and by the 3rd still 9+ yards) why isn't he your number 1 offensive weapon? Why only 16 or 18 total plays go to him? We had the same situation a few times in the early part of the season with FJ and I didn't get it then either.(...)Too many of your calls were are just exasperating as a fan. They make you and your offense predictable and the sets are 99% of reading your offense, what I mean is if I see CJ or Choice in the I behind Fitz, the chances are 99%, it is a run up the middle. And when Freddie was healthy, why couldn't CJ and FJ share the backfield more? We have two very high quality backs, use them please. Together. (...) I am lost as to why you gave up on Brad Smith in the shotgun on short yardage? (...) We really NEED to build a more multidimensional running team that can and does use the 2 TE sets and other basic NFL offensive thinking. (.....)

We should be a balanced football team, frankly right now you throw it off balance with too many pass plays.

I guess, I should address the D too, to be honest my only real opinions about it are that we need to commit to a 3/4 or 4/3scheme. The injuries and combination scheme just killed us this year.(...) we NEED 2 pass rushers still (I want Shawn M to be one but too many ?s about his health, he will be back in any case next year) we still need to bring 2 in this off season. (...)One thing I do wish is Chan would take more responsibility for the D unit. A few of the pressers this year were disappointing so far as his answers about it. It is his team, he needs to be in charge.

Great post Bowery, will be interested to hear the difference.

I haven't formally scored many games for the Bills. My gut agrees with you above, the Bills have become far too predictable in their play calling and in what plays they call from which sets, especially when they're behind it's Pass Pass Pass Pass even if they're not that behind and a whole half to catch up. Then there was that long, clock-eating drive with the Bills down by two scores - you know the one I mean - the squib kick - a lot of inexplicable coaching calls. The two games I did score bore this "gut" out. The Bills either suck at self-scouting, or they just pay it lip service and don't make changes because of it. I forget who here said "I can smoke it out from my living room" but that's about what I"ve seen - "oh, they're gonna run" yep!

On defense I agree, we have too many players out of position for it NOT to be a coaching thing. Pick one scheme and teach it well.

One thing you don't mention: Chan may have taken the TVs out of the weight room, but we have some out-of-shape sloppy fat looking players. Fitz isn't as ripped as a top QB needs to be. Dareus has quite the gut on him. We need some accountability and some better strength and conditioning.

7 hours on BR and no one has posted on it lol, 2 replies and 90 views in 6 hours on here. I guess this is why I don't post so much, but Hopeful thanks :)

I wonder about the conditioning and the overall amount of injuries too. I thought Darius got a bit bigger when he was moved to nose to be honest. I wonder if Fitz works out enough too. Weight room work seems like a no brainer but it makes you wonder.

Dwan Edwards looked like a monster yesterday, he has been working out.

Edited by bowery4

I think Chan's issue may be that he overthinks himself. He tries to get tricky in ways that don't work. Saw that yesterday in some short yardage redzone work. Maybe its just late in the season so he's trying some things. We'll see next year how he does. Hopefully we'll have a good season of no injuries and enough talent rebuilt that we have nothing to blame over the season but the coaches. We should be at the very least knocking on the door of the playoffs.

I think Chan's issue may be that he overthinks himself. He tries to get tricky in ways that don't work. Saw that yesterday in some short yardage redzone work. Maybe its just late in the season so he's trying some things. We'll see next year how he does. Hopefully we'll have a good season of no injuries and enough talent rebuilt that we have nothing to blame over the season but the coaches. We should be at the very least knocking on the door of the playoffs.

Yeah I think he overthinks, seems like a lot of coaches do, it may even be what separates the good from the bad. I hope and still think that it is not the case with Chan but you are right next year will tell more. There are times when I think we are 6 or so good players away, but sometimes the decisions being made on play calls is just well, disheartening (and obvious, teams just need play to the tendencies to beat us).

His reasoning in this article for not running CJ is that he's not a big back and probably cant handle a 25-30 carry workload unless he's getting around the corner. I think that's the key phrase. When they drafted him, they probably gambled on him being able to run like he did at Clemson and making the corner multiple times throughout the game, every game. Not the case, as we've seen.

I actually agree with him that running CJ up the middle like Fred or Marshawn would probably work, until he gets hurt, which would pretty much be inevitable. The probability of him getting hurt is less when they run screens, misdirections, and occasionally up the middle.

Besides, at this point in the year, when we aren't going to the playoffs regardless of the outcome, why risk it? Let him work on his footwork and vision so that next year, they might be able to play with a split back set of FJ & CJ to keep teams guessing.

His reasoning in this article for not running CJ is that he's not a big back and probably cant handle a 25-30 carry workload unless he's getting around the corner. I think that's the key phrase. When they drafted him, they probably gambled on him being able to run like he did at Clemson and making the corner multiple times throughout the game, every game. Not the case, as we've seen.

I actually agree with him that running CJ up the middle like Fred or Marshawn would probably work, until he gets hurt, which would pretty much be inevitable. The probability of him getting hurt is less when they run screens, misdirections, and occasionally up the middle.

Besides, at this point in the year, when we aren't going to the playoffs regardless of the outcome, why risk it? Let him work on his footwork and vision so that next year, they might be able to play with a split back set of FJ & CJ to keep teams guessing.

"Until he gets hurt, which would be pretty much be inevitable". Huh? Try looking up what weight Thurman, Barry Sanders, etc. played at. You may be surprised.

Edited by Best Player Available

"Until he gets hurt, which would be pretty much be inevitable". Huh? Try looking up what weight Thurman, Barry Sanders, etc. played at. You may be surprised.

I watched Reggie Bush put more than 200 yards on us against Mia. CJ needs the feeds (IMO) especially when it is working (my main point above Chan not staying with what is working until the other team takes it away) lets hope we don't do what NO did with Bush with him.

It has been mentioned more than once about CJ being dog tired and that is why the limited reps. He ran up the middle for big yards yesterday and is showing improvement in each game he starts.

If we bring back Fred next year ( and i think we absolutely should ) i hope we are able to balance the workload between them.

We also have tired out Fitzes arm. to many short passes and no deep threat yet. More reasons to up the run plays. Next year is an important year for our future and i sure hope our strength and conditioning coaches do a much better job at keeping the players healthy than they did this year

with Corey and Choice in the arsenal it just makes sense we develop the run game.

I think that body type and running style has more to do with it than weight. I realize that CJ isn't Sproles or Roscoe Parrish, but he hasn't shown the elusiveness inside like he does when he runs outside or off tackle. Or like a

Thurman/FJ who seem to be able to shed lineman and get to the second level. If you notice, unless he's untouched going through, he probably isn't going to make it through. He's getting better at it, but he still isn't there yet. His strength is in his speed right now, not his power or balance.

Edited by Billadelphia

I think that body type and running style has more to do with it than weight. I realize that CJ isn't Sproles or Roscoe Parrish, but he hasn't shown the elusiveness inside like he does when he runs outside or off tackle. Or like a

Thurman/FJ who seem to be able to shed lineman and get to the second level. If you notice, unless he's untouched going through, he probably isn't going to make it through. He's getting better at it, but he still isn't there yet. His strength is in his speed right now, not his power or balance.

Great thoughts on CJ. Backs absorb punishment differently. CJ is not a workhorse back. He is getting better running inside but he needs space to operate to avoid those big hits that a "balance" runner like Fred Jackson does not. The fact that they burned a very high draft pick on him does not mean they should mis-use him.

It has been mentioned more than once about CJ being dog tired and that is why the limited reps. He ran up the middle for big yards yesterday and is showing improvement in each game he starts.

If we bring back Fred next year ( and i think we absolutely should ) i hope we are able to balance the workload between them.

We also have tired out Fitzes arm. to many short passes and no deep threat yet. More reasons to up the run plays. Next year is an important year for our future and i sure hope our strength and conditioning coaches do a much better job at keeping the players healthy than they did this year

with Corey and Choice in the arsenal it just makes sense we develop the run game.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but I the strength and conditioning coaches are not the problem. A bunch of freak accidents half way through the season, when a slew of players ended up with broken legs cannot be blamed on strength and conditioning coaches. S*** happens. I feel that seeing Adareous and other rooks still making meaningful plays late in their first season as a point for the S&C coaches.

Merry Christmas and, as always, ....Go Bills!!!!!!!!

Some people say that Chan is good at adapting the play calls to suit the players. I disagree. He seems to want to go with the five wide, short pass offense regardless of who he has or what they can do. When Fitz was clearly hurt after the Redskins game, the offense should have been more run oriented, and the wildcat should have been used to give Fitz a rest. He didn't do that, but instead kept relying on Fitz to carry the load with passes that were clearly not crisp or on target.

Spiller running sweeps and screens is a natural, but for some reason those plays are rarely used. Against Denver, those plays were awesome. Why did he take so long? In the Miami game, they were lining the entire defense on the line of scrimmage, and both Miami and the Jets love to blitz. Ok, use screens and throw the ball over the defenders heads as they come rushing in. He is in love with using Choice, even though he hasn't really shown much. I understand a change of pace back, but he takes Spiller out when they are near the goal line. Does he not want Spiller to get credit for touchdowns?

Five wide makes it nearly impossible to disguise your intent. Play action is often effective. ?

I agree with pretty much everything you said but I the strength and conditioning coaches are not the problem. A bunch of freak accidents half way through the season, when a slew of players ended up with broken legs cannot be blamed on strength and conditioning coaches. S*** happens. I feel that seeing Adareous and other rooks still making meaningful plays late in their first season as a point for the S&C coaches.

Merry Christmas and, as always, ....Go Bills!!!!!!!!

I agree about the freak accidents, I do think S&C who include focus on all the stabilizer muscles the weight machines don't hit well make a diff.

The other thing I'm seeing is the players who aren't hurt, some of them just look sloppy-fat. Dareus has quite the gut on him.