Reach/Value: -5

Height:

6'3"

Weight:

Alternate Pick #1

Michael Floyd

Alternate Pick #2

Alfonzo Dennard

Losing out on Upshaw by one draft slot, the Bills get a great consolation prize in Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus leads Division 1 in sacks (13.5), sacks per game (1.23) and forced fumbles (8). He is also sixth in tackles for a loss per game (1.75), so he spends plenty of time in opponents' backfields. The Bills has 17 sacks through 12 games - lowest in the NFL. But it's worse than that - 10 of those came in 1 game vs Washington. Mercilus is a sure thing where Merriman, Moats, Batten, Kelsay, and Morrison each have liabilities. Watch for the Bills to take two OLB's in this draft. Whitney Mercilus is a great start down a better route to Playoffland.

http://drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

I know they have us at slot 13, but even if we get to 8, 9, or 10...gotta love this name. Perhaps Buddy will give him the kiss of death and say he has a "high motor". His stats are impressive though.

Draft Tek has Mercilus at #18, I think. That's a bit of a reach, unless he moves up or we actually win one of our two last games.

Top 10s in December don't have a lot in common with Top 10s in April...the combine will change a lot of minds about a lot of guys. I don't think its a reach to be looking at anyone in the top 20 at this point. Good to get familiar.

Buffalo

Whitney Mercilus

Illinois

OLB34

Reach/Value: -5

Height:

6'3"

Weight:

Alternate Pick #1

Michael Floyd

Alternate Pick #2

Alfonzo Dennard

Losing out on Upshaw by one draft slot, the Bills get a great consolation prize in Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus leads Division 1 in sacks (13.5), sacks per game (1.23) and forced fumbles (8). He is also sixth in tackles for a loss per game (1.75), so he spends plenty of time in opponents' backfields. The Bills has 17 sacks through 12 games - lowest in the NFL. But it's worse than that - 10 of those came in 1 game vs Washington. Mercilus is a sure thing where Merriman, Moats, Batten, Kelsay, and Morrison each have liabilities. Watch for the Bills to take two OLB's in this draft. Whitney Mercilus is a great start down a better route to Playoffland.

http://drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

I know they have us at slot 13, but even if we get to 8, 9, or 10...gotta love this name. Perhaps Buddy will give him the kiss of death and say he has a "high motor". His stats are impressive though.

This guy has kinda "flown under the radar" a bit because he plays for Illinois, but he could turn out to be a great player for some team. He has ideal size and pass rushing skills to play OLB in the 3-4. Many people might consider this a "reach" selection...even at #13 (I think we will be picking in the top 10), but I wouldn't complain :thumbsup:

Um, How are the Bills drafting 13?

They'd have to beat the Tebows or the Bradys for that to happen.

Doesn't seem likely. So Upshaw would be available.

It would be great to have Mercilus and Marcelleus.

Edited by Why So Serious?

This guy has kinda "flown under the radar" a bit because he plays for Illinois, but he could turn out to be a great player for some team. He has ideal size and pass rushing skills to play OLB in the 3-4. Many people might consider this a "reach" selection...even at #13 (I think we will be picking in the top 10), but I wouldn't complain :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input guys. I watched some Youtube clips of him against Penn State (he looked slow but it was snowing something fierce there) and the Northwestern game clips...I can see the tendancy to penetrate and bull rush, but on a few occassions he rushed right past the running back. Obviously, these look like a young guy's mistakes and are correctable, but you're right...good size, burst and strength (then again they said that about "he who shall not be named" and he was a reach after one standout year at Penn State)

Top 10s in December don't have a lot in common with Top 10s in April...the combine will change a lot of minds about a lot of guys. I don't think its a reach to be looking at anyone in the top 20 at this point. Good to get familiar.

Still, don't get your hopes up. I don't think Nix will reach that far, if he ends up being a reach.

Mercilus is a beast and I wouldn't be mad if we took him, if Barkley, Blackmon, and RG3 are off the board. I like him better than Upshaw personally. The guy is basically unblockable at times. He honestly reminds me a lot of Lamar Woodley. Strong as a bull, but still very quick and athletic. Relentless when getting after the QB. If we could grab Mercilus in the 1st and Vinny Curry in the 2nd I would be doing backflips in my living room.

Edited by H2o

Mercilus is a beast and I wouldn't be mad if we took him, if Barkley, Blackmon, and RG3 are off the board. I like him better than Upshaw personally. The guy is basically unblockable at times. He honestly reminds me a lot of Lamar Woodley. Strong as a bull, but still very quick and athletic. Relentless when getting after the QB. If we could grab Mercilus in the 1st and Vinny Curry in the 2nd I would be doing backflips in my living room.

I'm liking your thinking (except the Barkley part). I'd love Blackmon or RG3 if available, if not we need a monster OLB (we need one regardless). If healthy our D-line has the potential to be dominant. If we got the right OLB, our D could all of the sudden become explosive. The only other part of that equation would be to actually get a DC that has some sort of a clue...Edwards is awful.

Not sold on Mercilus. There was a thread started about him with videos in the OP (videos now removed by the Big Ten) and he looked slow and lazy and didnt stand out as anything special.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for more info/clips as we approach the draft, but for right now... Meh, Id rather have Upshaw who has been a leader on the nation's best defense and already plays 34OLB.

Not sold on Mercilus. There was a thread started about him with videos in the OP (videos now removed by the Big Ten) and he looked slow and lazy and didnt stand out as anything special.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for more info/clips as we approach the draft, but for right now... Meh, Id rather have Upshaw who has been a leader on the nation's best defense and already plays 34OLB.

I haven't seen much of Mercilus, but have seen plenty of Mr. Upshaw's work...he'd be an immediate and dramatic upgrade to our defense.