The Most Significant Event

3rdnlng

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tight enough to put together?? From AOL to iPhones? That's nearly half of the 50 year time period we're dealing with. Sure it's happened fast but not so fast it can be considered a single event.

I stated a four year period there......

AOL is a good one. Id add the launch of Windows 95 to that. That OS changed everthing in terms of how users utilize the PC, was the first to have a built in browser, etc.Or perhaps the rise of Dell Computer Co. The first to offer PCs to the masses, IMO.

wow... I'm old I guess, but Windows 95 sucked almost as much as '98!!! The hype is what got people out there... Personally, I wished for a return to 3.1 until finally saved by XP... Vista then crashed and burned, literally, and we now face 7, which is supposed to be great, but has so far, proven why XP was so good...

wow... I'm old I guess, but Windows 95 sucked almost as much as '98!!! The hype is what got people out there... Personally, I wished for a return to 3.1 until finally saved by XP... Vista then crashed and burned, literally, and we now face 7, which is supposed to be great, but has so far, proven why XP was so good...

Windows 95 was a drastic change in how people* interacted with computers, though.

*Mac users excluded.

Seems you forgot windows ME ... and that wonderful experience

XP pro was the answer / win 7, not so sure so far

I specifically omitted it because of the "in my lifetime" caveat. I was still gestating then.

Tom look what else was "gestating"

This thread shouldn't go without mention of the Civil Rights Movement. I hold its leaders in the same regard as the signers of the Declaration - people who threw life and limb to the wind in defense of what they knew to be right in their hearts.

As for a specific event...The "I have a dream" speech? Rosa Parks and the bus boycott? Passing of the Civil Rights Act?

EDIT: Montgomery Bus Boycott occurred 56 years ago.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

On a Buffalo Bills message board, how does "Wide Right" not get any play at all?

1 foot to the left and 4 straight Super Bowl wins. That's all I'm sayin!

The most significant event (singular) in my life time (I was born in '64) would be the moon landing.

Remember, this thread isn't so much about an individual event, but what that event triggered or represents. Woodstock represented a movement that was already in progress, so the cultural changes brought about by that movement are how that movement should be judged in the larger picture. 9/11 (although certainly not the first terrorist attack) was such a large singular incident that it triggered major actions and monumental changes in this country and across the world. So, in the above contexts, landing on the moon, the first micro brewery and DiN getting his first bj (gender unknown) aren't all that monumentous, although two out of the three are pretty damn cool. So, the question still is, what event or what event that represents something larger, over the last 50 years or so has made the biggest difference in our lives?

Remember, this thread isn't so much about an individual event, but what that event triggered or represents. Woodstock represented a movement that was already in progress, so the cultural changes brought about by that movement are how that movement should be judged in the larger picture. 9/11 (although certainly not the first terrorist attack) was such a large singular incident that it triggered major actions and monumental changes in this country and across the world. So, in the above contexts, landing on the moon, the first micro brewery and DiN getting his first bj (gender unknown) aren't all that monumentous, although two out of the three are pretty damn cool. So, the question still is, what event or what event that represents something larger, over the last 50 years or so has made the biggest difference in our lives?

If we're talking both domestic and international, the introduction of HIV/AIDS to humanity was pretty huge.

If we're talking both domestic and international, the introduction of HIV/AIDS to humanity was pretty huge.

That's one I didn't even think about. Even though I have experienced the disease and death of a loved one from close proximity I'm not sure how this has an effect on a great amount of people. Don't get me wrong, it certainly could have had an enormous effect on all of us. It hasn't. One of the best kept (media) secrets is George Bush's gigantic push and monetary backing to support Aids prevention/cure, especially in Africa. Do you know he is a God there? Regardless, good point.

Can't believe I didn't think of that.

The specific event marking the "beginning" of the AIDS epidemic, as generally accepted, is Gottlieb's MMWR report on PCP in gay men in LA. Though I think an unfortunate number of Americans would say Rock Hudson's death was the truly notable event.

That's one I didn't even think about. Even though I have experienced the disease and death of a loved one from close proximity I'm not sure how this has an effect on a great amount of people. Don't get me wrong, it certainly could have had an enormous effect on all of us. It hasn't. One of the best kept (media) secrets is George Bush's gigantic push and monetary backing to support Aids prevention/cure, especially in Africa. Do you know he is a God there? Regardless, good point.

Good points all. One tangible effect on those without the disease is that AIDS has put the fear of God into everybody regarding unsafe sex. Suddenly, pregnancy and the clap are concerns #2 and #3.

It will be intriguing to see how the situation plays itself out in Sub-Saharan Africa, where approximately 75% of AIDS fatalities occur. Despite Western intervention, like you mentioned, approximately 6% of that region is currently infected, including 17% in South Africa.

Between lack of awareness, resistance to knowledge, teenage prostitution, etc. those numbers probably won't sink very soon.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

For the sake of argument, the lunar landing program's technology and it's R@D can be linked to many inventions we use today...

The Apollo program, specifically the lunar landings, has been called the greatest technological achievement in human history.

We Conquered and occupied the moon and whacked golf balls. What better way to say "PWNED" to the world.