I still think Troup could turn out to be better than Gronkowski for us

Patience people, this kid Troup is gonna be a monster. Never mind that he came from a girly man school and we could've taken him in the 3rd round anyway. And Rob Gronkowski, who went to Williamsville North, is built like a professional wrestler and was considered a top 10 overall talent before he got hurt in college was just sitting there and it appeared to be the most obvious pick since I've been watching drafts. Just wait folks, it'll work out for us just fine.

I am always a Bills apologist and I hate when people dwell on past mistakes, but I'm sorry, I'll never get over this one. Never.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience people, this kid Troup is gonna be a monster. Never mind that he came from a girly man school and we could've taken him in the 3rd round anyway. And Rob Gronkowski, who went to Williamsville North, is built like a professional wrestler and was considered a top 10 overall talent before he got hurt in college was just sitting there and it appeared to be the most obvious pick since I've been watching drafts. Just wait folks, it'll work out for us just fine.

I am always a Bills apologist and I hate when people dwell on past mistakes, but I'm sorry, I'll never get over this one. Never.

You've been a fan for a long time. Moves like this are far more common for this franchise than not.

I remember reading Nix's comment on Troup that if he had declared for the draft a year later, he would have been one of the top DT's and a 1st round pick. Is it any wonder the Bills suck? :wallbash:

PLEASE tell me your kidding and that Nix did not make that comment?!!? A person with a HISTORY of chronic back problems playing NT in the NFL is NOT going to happen. If we had Gronkowski Fitz would have someone to throw to in the short passing game, which is his style of passing. :wallbash:

Edited by RyanC883

You've been a fan for a long time. Moves like this are far more common for this franchise than not.

Mike Williams was a can't miss pick. Once I saw how athletic Losman was, I was thrilled about that pick. I even loved the Spiller pick. But taking Troup over Gronkowski was the classic case of "let's be cute, we know something the rest of the league doesn't" pick. And of course, we don't. See Dareus fell into our laps, it would've been insane to not draft him. That's how the Gronkowski pick was to me. It was so blatantly obvious, so natural of a pick to make, that of course they don't do it. And yes, the Whitner pick was also insane. When you've been reading draft coverage for two months and have about 5-10 guys on your radar for the 8th overall pick and they take someone you've never heard of, that is also frustrating.

I remember reading Nix's comment on Troup that if he had declared for the draft a year later, he would have been one of the top DT's and a 1st round pick. Is it any wonder the Bills suck? :wallbash:

Troup was a puzzling pick. In hindsight AND on draft day. He was very low on all the draft prospect sites. Seems like the Bills should fire all their scouts and just use Mock Draft sites. All the mock drafts had us taking Orakpo over Maybin, because who in their right mind takes Maybin when when Orakpo's on the board?? Heck, Maybin wasn't even invited to the draft!! That's a good sign that he's NOT 1st round material.

PLEASE tell me your kidding and that Nix did not make that comment?!!? A person with a HISTORY of chronic back problems playing NT in the NFL is NOT going to happen. If we had Gronkowski Fitz would have someone to throw to in the short passing game, which is his style of passing. :wallbash:

I personally read this with my own two eyes but can't remember where. It may have been one of Chris Brown's fluff pieces but those were the words directly out of Nix's mouth. He said Troup would have been a 1st round pick and a top-rated DT.

It's normal to feel this way. We all probably have one idiotic draft choice that haunts us worse than the other ones.

Troup was a puzzling pick. In hindsight AND on draft day. He was very low on all the draft prospect sites. Seems like the Bills should fire all their scouts and just use Mock Draft sites. All the mock drafts had us taking Orakpo over Maybin, because who in their right mind takes Maybin when when Orakpo's on the board?? Heck, Maybin wasn't even invited to the draft!! That's a good sign that he's NOT 1st round material.

I would love it if they just went with this approach. Take whomever the consensus is in the draft magazines for the first three rounds and then let the organization take over round four and beyond. I think if you looked back at the history the Bills would have been far better off with this approach.

were they from the same year?? so when the pack wheels and deals, they get raji and matthews, we get john mccargo.

I'm pretty sure raji went 9th and we drafted mckelvin that year at 11. Then I believe Matthews was in the maybin draft when ppl were split between Matthews Cushing and orakpo NOT maybin.

I know it's a dead horse but the draft is one of my favorite football events of the year (prob bc I'm a bills fan and it gives me hope... Sometimes I'm dumb) and I follow very closely watching highlights and studying player info. So when they took whitner I remember hanging my head very low and got the same sick to my stomach feeling as when jauron and to a lesser extent malarkey were hired.

Edited by section122

I'm pretty sure raji went 9th and we drafted mckelvin that year at 11. Then I believe Matthews was in the maybin draft when ppl were split between Matthews Cushing and orakpo NOT maybin.

I know it's a dead horse but the draft is one of my favorite football events of the year (prob bc I'm a bills fan and it gives me hope... Sometimes I'm dumb) and I follow very closely watching highlights and studying player info. So when they took whitner I remember hanging my head very low and got the same sick to my stomach feeling as when jauron and to a lesser extent malarkey were hired.

Raji was taken 2 slots ahead of Maybin.

yea, i hear you... the whitner pick was very puzzling, but makes sense in that it was consistent with them making bad picks. a broken clock is right twice a day , so that explains the kyle williams pick.