Bills need a QB

tuckan

The Bills need an elite QB. I like Fitz. With a good defense, he can get you into the playoffs. But thats about it. If they have a shot at an elite QB, they need to go for it. Chances like these do not come often. They can fix the D in the later rounds and in free agency and get an experienced Defensive Coordinator.

I don't think they get a QB until 2013, any QB drafted before the 3rd round would be proof they are questioning the extension. Fitz is not elite but he's gotten better this year, completing 63% of his passes and again tossing over 20 tds and counting. With more receiver help (a guy like AJ Green) Fitz will have an even better 2012. I'd resign Stevie and make a 1st round investment in Michael Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey.

The Bills need an elite QB. I like Fitz. With a good defense, he can get you into the playoffs. But thats about it. If they have a shot at an elite QB, they need to go for it. Chances like these do not come often. They can fix the D in the later rounds and in free agency and get an experienced Defensive Coordinator.

What makes am elite QB? When is a QB label Elite first year, 3rd year 5th year. Teams need to be built completely before entering a QB into the mix IE Pats/ Pitt/ Giants/ Chargers/ GB

This team does not need a QB. The QB has only lost 3 games becuase of lack of offense but the same could be said about the defense giving up too much of a hole in those same 3 games but the defense has lost the games for us not the QB. I like the direction of the team and once they fix the defense we will be going deep into the playoffs. Tired of all yopu fair weather fans who are taking the pain of losing as FITZ is the poroblem he is not the problem George Edwards and the whole defense is the problem and it needs to be fixed first and foremost.

Edited by Poeticlaw

Colts = 0 16 Luck

Philly - will be 5-6 wins already has Vick

Redskins - will be 5-6 wins - NEED QB

Chargers - 6-7 wins Already set

J-Ville - Gabbert

Panthers - Already Set

Minny 2-3 wins - Drafted QB last year

Dolphins - Gotta lose to them!

Tampa Bay - maybe 5 wins - I know they like Freeman...

Arizona 5 wins now...NEED! They might get one more one - BEat Cleveland - 6 wins?

Bills - NEED - 5 wins?

Cleveland - Colt Mccoy? - They got Pittx2 Balt and Arizona - they are going to be 4-12

KC - NEED - they got 1 more wind

Draft Order

Colts - LUCK

St Louis - Bradford

Minny - PONDER

J Ville - Gabbert

Cleve - Mccoy

BUFF? - QB????

We could draft 6 - Gotta think that people will be trading up to top five to get a QB

Edited by baskin

Chan Gailey informed Fitz before last years draft that if a QB was there that they liked...they would draft him! Obviously Cam Newton was that guy, and Carolina took him with the #1 pick.

I would think if there is a QB that Nix-Gailey think is going to be great like Newton has shown, they will draft him. Otherwise this team has more pressing needs, a OLB pass rusher, a LT and the list goes on

I predict the Bills will end up getting Andrew Luck 5th overall. How is this possible?? Well, I think Luck's stock will drop when all is said and done (The Combine won't help him). AND, I think the Bills will lose every remaining game to sneak up to the 5th pick.

WRONG.. What about the combine won't help the guy??? If there was two of this guy he could completely skip the combine and be picked #1 and #2 in the draft. NFL teams are drooling over this guy. He's been analyzed by every single expert over the course of his college career and I all that's come out of that is the same opinion.. that the guy is the best qb to come out in years.

The goal - every year - should be to win the Super Bowl. The way the modern NFL is structured, you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl (last ten Super Bowl champion QB's - Rogers, Brees, Rothlisberger, E. Manning, P. Manning, Rothlisberger, Brady, Brady, B. Johnson and Brady; all elite QB's except for B. Johnson).

Is Fitzpatrick elite? Clearly not. Is he a better than average NFL quarterback? Yes.

Given the above, it doesn't matter what other needs you have. If you have identified a potential elite QB in the draft and he is available when your turn comes up, you take him. It's that simple.

One more thought. Say what you will about the Bills' front office, in last year's draft, they got it right, at least as far as the QB question is concerned. They identified a potential franchise QB (Newton) and would have drafted him if he was available. When he wasn't, they stuck to their draft board and didn't reach to pick Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, etc. That's the right way to go about it and that's how they should approach the 2012 draft.

The goal - every year - should be to win the Super Bowl. The way the modern NFL is structured, you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl (last ten Super Bowl champion QB's - Rogers, Brees, Rothlisberger, E. Manning, P. Manning, Rothlisberger, Brady, Brady, B. Johnson and Brady; all elite QB's except for B. Johnson).

Is Fitzpatrick elite? Clearly not. Is he a better than average NFL quarterback? Yes.

Given the above, it doesn't matter what other needs you have. If you have identified a potential elite QB in the draft and he is available when your turn comes up, you take him. It's that simple.

One more thought. Say what you will about the Bills' front office, in last year's draft, they got it right, at least as far as the QB question is concerned. They identified a potential franchise QB (Newton) and would have drafted him if he was available. When he wasn't, they stuck to their draft board and didn't reach to pick Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, etc. That's the right way to go about it and that's how they should approach the 2012 draft.

All of those teams that won the big one had Top Defenses... Manning, the best QB ever, has only won one superbowl. Why? Because in their other Superbowl appearance, and their playoff losses, they have been held down by a good opposing D, or the colts D got beat by the opposing offense.

An elite offense only wins half the battle.

Edited by markgbe

I don't think they get a QB until 2013, any QB drafted before the 3rd round would be proof they are questioning the extension. Fitz is not elite but he's gotten better this year, completing 63% of his passes and again tossing over 20 tds and counting. With more receiver help (a guy like AJ Green) Fitz will have an even better 2012. I'd resign Stevie and make a 1st round investment in Michael Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey.

If Jeffrey or Floyd are the BPA over any reach of a defensive guy, then I say do it. I'm a SC fan myself, and I can definitively say Jeffrey is going to be a beast in the pros, especially if he cuts 5-8 lbs pre combine. He is huge, fast, physical, runs pretty good routes, and most importantly, after all his time playing with Stephen Garcia at QB, CAN ADJUST TO POORLY THROWN BALLS.

This is obviously predicated on resigning Stevie as well as assuming Marcus Easley's heart condition is permanent, not an infection or something else temporary. But even with Fitz under center, I know he has his haters, an offense with Stevie and Jeffrey outside, with Nelson working from the slot could be downright dominant. That also slots a Donald Jones in a more fitting role, as the 4th WR, and Brad Smith/Naaman Roosevelt as 5 or 6. Everyone is back where they belong.

Fitz is not an elite QB but he is a Bills type of QB , he's never been given any thing , he's worked for all he has got , he's smart & can read opponents D pretty darn well , & he never gives up !!

I like that make up . That being said if he had one for real deep threat & just maybe some help in the clutch from his receivers i don't know that i would be reading let alone responding to a post such as this .

I think there was a couple of moves made prior to the season that may have been to say the least a bit on the quick side . Although i really hate to admit it because i was on this band wagon to do away with 2 players that were released I will now go on the record as saying we were to quick !!

I think Evans & Maybin (yes i said it ) were let go to soon & could have made a difference in out team with all the injuries that have happened but it's a little bitlate now ... :oops:

WRONG.. What about the combine won't help the guy??? If there was two of this guy he could completely skip the combine and be picked #1 and #2 in the draft. NFL teams are drooling over this guy. He's been analyzed by every single expert over the course of his college career and I all that's come out of that is the same opinion.. that the guy is the best qb to come out in years.

Well, I can dream, can't I? AND not every single expert agrees with this. Parcels and Simms think he's over-rated and I'm sure there are others.

What makes am elite QB? When is a QB label Elite first year, 3rd year 5th year. Teams need to be built completely before entering a QB into the mix IE Pats/ Pitt/ Giants/ Chargers/ GB

This team does not need a QB. The QB has only lost 3 games becuase of lack of offense but the same could be said about the defense giving up too much of a hole in those same 3 games but the defense has lost the games for us not the QB. I like the direction of the team and once they fix the defense we will be going deep into the playoffs. Tired of all yopu fair weather fans who are taking the pain of losing as FITZ is the poroblem he is not the problem George Edwards and the whole defense is the problem and it needs to be fixed first and foremost.

I tend to agree with you that the biggest problem with this team is the defense. That said, I do not believe that Fitz is the long term answer at QB. His inaccuracy is a real problem. Those first three throws that he made against Tennessee were ridiculously bad. He routinely misses open receivers. Even with the poor defensive performance the past two weeks, the Bills could have won had he not missed open receivers in scoring situations. Granted, the defense is bad, but so is Fitz. IMO both areas need to be addressed.

<br />All of those teams that won the big one had Top Defenses...  Manning, the best QB ever, has only won one superbowl.  Why?  Because in their other Superbowl appearance, and their playoff losses, they have been held down by a good opposing D, or the colts D got beat by the opposing offense.  <br /><br />An elite offense only wins half the battle.<br />
when Fitzs career is over, he will have a grand total of Zero Super Bowl starts. And it won't be the defenses fault every year. So many people are blinded by the fact that we have had the worst qbs in football for the last 12 years. Now that we have a qb that doesn't suck, these people think fitz is a great qb. well, he's FAR from great. He's decent. Decent qbs DON'T win the SB UNLESS they have an all time defense. You think we have a chance of making an all time defense??? I think we have a chance, .001% chance. So what's that mean? We need an elite QB qb. Do you guys think fitz is "elite"? Who here thinks Fitz is elite? I guess I'll make a thread.

Can't agree with this. Building a team is not a linear process. If that blue-chip QB prospect is available and you don't have one, you take him. Even if you have 5 Sisters of the Poor blocking for him at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Taking a QB with our first round pick would be very similar to taking an RB when you have 2 1000 yard rushers on your team. Maybe Fitz will take us to SB maybe not. Fitz would look a lot better at QB if he had Mark Sanchez' or Eli Manning's or Drew Brees's recievers. That's whats hurting our offense now. It's costing us games. I'd rather see that addressed first. Our OLine while not great is OK. We just need guys who can hold onto the freakin' football and catch passes that don't hit them in the hands (and those too) or ones that aren't in the place they expect them to be.

As far as Offense of Defense, if George Edwards is not fired I wouldn't invest high draft picks there. We've gone D heavy the last 2 years and have only gotten worse.

Edited by reddogblitz

This front office is attempting the first rebuild in NFL history that didn't include finding a QB. Some franchise QBs have succeeded, many others have failed, but every front office has at least tried. Not the Bills though.

Kelly, Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe, Losman. Oh, they've tried but they've haven't been successful too often, that's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!