Thinking of throwing in the towel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that. Kids in Rochester would definitely not be so attached to the Buffalo name..........I wonder what the percentage of Bills fans is for Rochester in general - like 30, 40somethings.

I live in auburn and went to the bar to watch the game (I am 30) when we walked in the bar had about 20-30 people and 1 bills fan. There is a group of 6 of us that are bills fans and the rest of my friends are giants,eagles,steelers,packers, and niners fans with 1 or so jets fans.

Regionalization should be done in Syracuse not Toronto as there is no local pro team allegiance based on location. But it would require a winning product! Most people my age were more than likely bills fans as kids and I know more than a few that became cowboys fans after the super bowl years.

The worst is that people my age don't even joke about the 4 straight super bowls. No one even hates the bills (the mark of a good team-if you don't like the pats,yanks,sox, etc... You hate them). Now when people find out I'm a bills fan they simply feel bad for me.

The bills have fallen so far among younger people that it is almost a badge of courage (or stupidity not sure) to be a bills fan...

I used to pay a lot of attention to Jerry Jabber's posts too, until they took his hot avatar away, now he is just another

poster, but seriously thhough, a pretty insightful one at that.

I'll have to put another hot avatar on.

Like I told zepp, Mike Ox & I are good friends. I met Mike while watching a Bills game back in 2004 at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA (great place to watch Bills games), have been friends ever since.

I'll have to put another hot avatar on.

Like I told zepp, Mike Ox & I are good friends. I met Mike while watching a Bills game back in 2004 at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA (great place to watch Bills games), have been friends ever since.

I used to live in Reston, VA. Glad to know they have a Bills presence in that area.

I live in auburn and went to the bar to watch the game (I am 30) when we walked in the bar had about 20-30 people and 1 bills fan. There is a group of 6 of us that are bills fans and the rest of my friends are giants,eagles,steelers,packers, and niners fans with 1 or so jets fans.

Regionalization should be done in Syracuse not Toronto as there is no local pro team allegiance based on location. But it would require a winning product! Most people my age were more than likely bills fans as kids and I know more than a few that became cowboys fans after the super bowl years.

The worst is that people my age don't even joke about the 4 straight super bowls. No one even hates the bills (the mark of a good team-if you don't like the pats,yanks,sox, etc... You hate them). Now when people find out I'm a bills fan they simply feel bad for me.

The bills have fallen so far among younger people that it is almost a badge of courage (or stupidity not sure) to be a bills fan...

Thanks for your insights. I never really had the feeling that most of Upstate were diehard Bills fans, so I can see why all this would be.

I used to live in Reston, VA. Glad to know they have a Bills presence in that area.

Usually at the start of the season (and while the Bills are doing good) Jimmy's Old Town tavern is loaded with Bills fans. But towards the end of the season, the place is empty. It's a shame, Jimmy's is a good place. The owner, Jimmy Cirrito is originally from Arcade, N.Y. They sell Beef on Weck, Sahlen hot dogs, Molson & Labatt's and have Weber's mustard at Jimmy's. I used to go there for every Bills game until I was finally able to get Direct Tv. I went there for a Sabres playoff game in 2007, and the place was loaded to the max.

Usually at the start of the season (and while the Bills are doing good) Jimmy's Old Town tavern is loaded with Bills fans. But towards the end of the season, the place is empty. It's a shame, Jimmy's is a good place. The owner, Jimmy Cirrito is originally from Arcade, N.Y. They sell Beef on Weck, Sahlen hot dogs, Molson & Labatt's and have Weber's mustard at Jimmy's. I used to go there for every Bills game until I was finally able to get Direct Tv. I went there for a Sabres playoff game in 2007, and the place was loaded to the max.

I miss that sort of atmosphere...I'm harder on Atlanta fans than most, but coming from a great sports town - Philly - to atlanta, which is one of the worst for a large market, it just makes me miss smaller bars an sports bars with a rabid fan base. There's nothing like a crowd of Bills fans, good food, and good beer...

I miss that sort of atmosphere...I'm harder on Atlanta fans than most, but coming from a great sports town - Philly - to atlanta, which is one of the worst for a large market, it just makes me miss smaller bars an sports bars with a rabid fan base. There's nothing like a crowd of Bills fans, good food, and good beer...

Says the guy who NEVER comes to the (MARTA accessible) Bills Backers bar in Atlanta, and just missed our Buffalo tailgate party this weekend which featured all the Chiavetta's Chicken, Sahlen's Hotdogs, Loganberry, and beer you could consume!!!

:wallbash::nana:

Says the guy who NEVER comes to the (MARTA accessible) Bills Backers bar in Atlanta, and just missed our Buffalo tailgate party this weekend which featured all the Chiavetta's Chicken, Sahlen's Hotdogs, Loganberry, and beer you could consume!!!

Chiavettas?! You mean gods gift to chicken marinade? I make skewers with peppers and onions as well as Chiavettas chicken wrapped in bacon many times a year it's a family and tailgating staple!

Chiavettas?! You mean gods gift to chicken marinade? I make skewers with peppers and onions as well as Chiavettas chicken wrapped in bacon many times a year it's a family and tailgating staple!

You know it!

Ah, Chiavetta's Shishkabobs, great way to do it! :thumbsup:

I usually use Chiavetta's on whole wings (3 pieces), marinate over night and grill. I find that the marinade is wasted on breasts since the best parts are the skin and chewy bits and you dont get that with breasts.

Good points CB - the mid 80's were much worse than this and the late sixty's/early 70's weren't so hot either (except for OJ)....If you were a fan in the mid 80's post Chuck Knox, you would have been thrilled with five wins:

84: 2-14

85: 2-14

86: 4-12 (sure 100% improvement in wins but still nothing)

For God's sake the team only won 13 games total from 1967 to 1972....so no, these last few years aren't the worst by my estimation in a long time....though I can certainly understand that if you became a fan during the "glory years" you'd be feeling the way you do now....

I'm not old enough. For those of you that are, how likely was it thought to be that Kelly would eventually play for the Bills in '84/85? Even if it wasn't a slam dunk I have to think it was at least 10 or 20%? For that reason alone I have to give the edge to the current Bills for being worse off. The mid 80's fans at least had hope. Right now there is no hope.

So you're saying that Manning just fell into Polian's lap? Ryan Leaf was hyped up just as much as Manning was that year. San Diego picked Leaf right after the Colts picked Manning at #2, and look at how well Leaf did.

I agree with most of your points but yes, Manning fell into Polian's lap. Some in the media jumped on the Leaf bandwagon late, but almost any GM would've taken Manning (similar to how hyping up other QB's while minimizing Luck as a prospect has become the cool thing to do now). And even if that wasn't the case, I don't know how much credit he deserves for it - if you flip a coin you're going to be right 50% of the time.

Edited by BuffOrange

I completely agree. The best time I ever had watching the Bills, was when they blew out the Pats 31-0 in 2003. Scott Norwood was Jimmy's guest that day. The atmosphere at Jimmy's that day was incredible! I was literally worn out after the game from all the cheering (and drinking) we did during the game.

How long did you live in Reston for? Were you there when they built the Wegman's off Rt. 28?

I'm not old enough. For those of you that are, how likely was it thought to be that Kelly would eventually play for the Bills in '84/85? Even if it wasn't a slam dunk I have to think it was at least 10 or 20%? For that reason alone I have to give the edge to the current Bills for being worse off. The mid 80's fans at least had hope. Right now there is no hope.

I agree with most of your points but yes, Manning fell into Polian's lap. Some in the media jumped on the Leaf bandwagon late, but almost any GM would've taken Manning (similar to how hyping up other QB's while minimizing Luck as a prospect has become the cool thing to do now). And even if that wasn't the case, I don't know how much credit he deserves for it - if you flip a coin you're going to be right 50% of the time.

You make good points. But, I still feel the Bills would have been much more successful if Bill Polian was still the Bills GM.

Buffalo Rumblings did a poll on if the Bills can win one more game this season, that is a f@!cking joke!!! To think we used to be such a proud organization, the cream-of-the-crop in the AFC during the late 80's and early 90's. Even Santonio Holmes ripped on the Bills Sunday on the CBS pre-game show when commenting on Stevie Johnson's TD celebration saying "He's playing for the Buffalo Bills..."

19 winning seasons out of 52

12 years without the playoffs

Another year of watching other teams fight for a playoff spot, teams playing in the playoffs and 2 teams (other than the Bills) playing in the Superbowl. God I miss the early 90's.

Ive been a fan for 50 years...i you want to quit go ahead...many have before you

Ive been a fan for 50 years...i you want to quit go ahead...many have before you

i kinda understand these guys....

i live in cali. have zero relation to buffalo. after many bad years, i get the urge to abandon ship too....

however, at the end of the day, im still a fan. i also think every year will be the "one"... this year we will make the .... but we dont.

its ok though. i guess.

what may happen one day will be me just not caring anymore. but maybe not. who knows.

lol, I know, I know...but dude, I HATE MARTA!! I have nowhere near me to catch that stupid train. That's one of the other things about Atlanta that I hate. I was so used to transit EXCELLENCE when I lived in Philly. I lived north of the city there just as I do here, yet there I could drive literally less than a mile, hop on a train and go ANYWHERE I wanted. It took me right to the front door of Temple U for school, to South Philly for a game, over to the airport, etc. I think the closest MARTA station for me is frickin TUCKER. I live way up here in Flowery Branch (Falcons country, as you know) and I have no other option but to drive.

Speaking of which, I went to IKEA again the other night after work...I'm falling in love with Atlantic Station. That is the COOLEST place!

I completely agree. The best time I ever had watching the Bills, was when they blew out the Pats 31-0 in 2003. Scott Norwood was Jimmy's guest that day. The atmosphere at Jimmy's that day was incredible! I was literally worn out after the game from all the cheering (and drinking) we did during the game.

How long did you live in Reston for? Were you there when they built the Wegman's off Rt. 28?

Man, I would kill to have Wegmans back...I never thought I'd miss a grocery store, but as we all know, Wegmans is far more than a grocery store.

I actually lived in Reston when I was just a little kid, and it's been a long while. I was there between '77-'80, before I even became a Bills fan (in '85, when I moved to Rochester). I almost got back there in '95 when I very briefly lived in Baltimore, but haven't been anywhere near there since. I know it's a great area, though...nice part of the country.