State of the Team after the loss

PNW_Bills_Fan

I hate losing. I hate my team losing. I can't stand watching a losing team. It has been painful over the years to watch this team. Outside of the first Jets, Dallas and Dolphins games this team has been fun to watch. This very much reminds me of a the late '80's. There is a team being built finally after years of mishandling. The "O" is not broken. We could get by with what we have moving forward...with everyone coming back from injuries. I think this next draft and FA period should be spent on DB's and pass rushers. This team is not as far from being relevant as it was last year. Their are still some holes in the team talent but man I love the direction. This team is actually fun to watch right now. Our O-line is not as bad as some make it out to be. I think next year D Bell moves to right tackle and Harriston stays at left or vise versa. That line is big and good. As for the "D", having Kyle back will help. Actually having some pass rushers will help. I really think with a couple good draft picks this "D" could be good, I mean a real "D" next year.

Love your optimism but that is exactly what we heard every year for the past 10-12 years.

I don't think it is the same. We have a QB that is not on his rookie salary or a on a journeyman's salary for the first time in a long time. Fitz is our QB. The team has been competitive since the middle of last year. The team is actually in games and fun to watch most weeks. We have not had that for the past 10 years. We have scored more points this year. We have a front line that is not last in the league in giving up sacks. The line looks like it has talent and we have some depth. In past years when injuries have plagues us our line went to crap. The line today gave up three sacks and Fitz was pressured but in the end they blocked when they had to. We have not had that for 10-12 years. On the "D" line we have a pro bowler and another in the making in Darius. Barnett is a monster in the middle. I think Sheppard is going to be good. We need help at OLB bad.

For the past 10-12 years I have been thinking we were two to three years away from being good. This year I feel like we can be a contender next year if we have a good draft and get 1 to 2 key FA.

I like the coaching staff. I am not sure about Edwards. How much is his fault verses how much is the lack of talent at OLB. I honestly think we have a chance to win a couple more games this year. I can see us being 9-7 or 8-8. Even if we are 7-9, how many people thought we would be that good? Most of the mainstream media thought we were going to be a 4-5 win team.

Love your optimism but that is exactly what we heard every year for the past 10-12 years.

This time it looks different. If they had come out and continued to stink it up yesterday I would be nervous that it truly is all a mirage. But with a third of the starters either rookies or out of position they had the Jets beat if Johnson catches the ball right in his hands across the middle at the end.

This time it looks different. If they had come out and continued to stink it up yesterday I would be nervous that it truly is all a mirage. But with a third of the starters either rookies or out of position they had the Jets beat if Johnson catches the ball right in his hands across the middle at the end.

Um....they had the game won until Wretched George's defense gave up an 82 yard snowplow of a drive for the Jets win. This loss belongs to Wretched George along with the other 17 losses in his wretched *&$!ing so-called career as DC for the Bills.

Um....they had the game won until Wretched George's defense gave up an 82 yard snowplow of a drive for the Jets win. This loss belongs to Wretched George along with the other 17 losses in his wretched *&$!ing so-called career as DC for the Bills.

Yup. Sanchez was in the midst of a TERRIBLE day throwing, and we still let their offense score 28 points. It's easy to point to a couple plays on offense because they were specifically heart-wrenching, but any semblance of a competent defense wouldn't have put the offense in a scenario where they needed 29.

Yup. Sanchez was in the midst of a TERRIBLE day throwing, and we still let their offense score 28 points. It's easy to point to a couple plays on offense because they were specifically heart-wrenching, but any semblance of a competent defense wouldn't have put the offense in a scenario where they needed 29.

Thank you. When your offense has given you the lead and your defense gives up an 82 yard game wining drive, you have found the culprit. Period.

I hate losing. I hate my team losing. I can't stand watching a losing team. It has been painful over the years to watch this team. Outside of the first Jets, Dallas and Dolphins games this team has been fun to watch. This very much reminds me of a the late '80's. There is a team being built finally after years of mishandling. The "O" is not broken. We could get by with what we have moving forward...with everyone coming back from injuries. I think this next draft and FA period should be spent on DB's and pass rushers. This team is not as far from being relevant as it was last year. Their are still some holes in the team talent but man I love the direction. This team is actually fun to watch right now. Our O-line is not as bad as some make it out to be. I think next year D Bell moves to right tackle and Harriston stays at left or vise versa. That line is big and good. As for the "D", having Kyle back will help. Actually having some pass rushers will help. I really think with a couple good draft picks this "D" could be good, I mean a real "D" next year.

Agree 100 percent. This team is one pass rusher away from the playoffs. Three games were lost on late drives. Cinn, Giants,Jets. one sack on any of those drives would have lead to victory .

Remember the game is over if plax doesn't make an amazing one handed grab

+1 This

It goes beyond Wretched George though.

Bob Sanders, the Bill's OLB coach, got the boot as GB's DC after a disappointing 2008 season where the Defense was "soft" and gave up the lead too many times. GB went from 22nd in the league on D points (2008) to 7th in the league in D points (2009). He is responsible for developing OLB and as far as I can see, our developmental OLB have if anything regressed. FAIL.

Giff Smith, the Bills DL coach, had no NFL experience. He was Chan's buddy at Georgia Tech. He claims credit for the emergence of Kyle Williams last year, but doesn't say so much about his role on a D that was 28th in D points last year - if he gets credit for Kyle, does he get blame for that? How about this year?

The Bills offense was hiding the defensive deficiencies the first several games of the season. Now the offense reverted to "good", and the defense went to "epic fail". If the players weren't revved up and ready for 3 blowout games, that's on the coaching staff IMO.

I think it's time to revv up the Billboard. Nix: time to clean house....Edwards...Sanders....Smith

Edited by Hopeful

What about the remainder of the 82 yard snowplow through Wretched George's defense on that drive? Remember that the game was won if Wretched George's defense gets just ONE 3 and out or maybe a 4 and out on that 82 yard romp through a wet Kleenex? The game was won and Wretched George's defense couldn't keep them from scoring any more than I can go out and yell at the sun to stop shining.

How is the Game over there? If he does not catch that Pass it's 4th and 11 from the 36...The Jets can still try a 53 yard FG to tie, or they can go for it on 4th...And who really thinks this Defense would have stopped them on 4th Down? Yes Burress made a ridiculous catch on that Play...But knowing this Defense and this DC like I do...I knew somehow, someway, not only were the Jets going to score on that drive...They were going to score a TD... B-)

Agree 100 percent. This team is one pass rusher away from the playoffs. Three games were lost on late drives. Cinn, Giants,Jets. one sack on any of those drives would have lead to victory .

If Sanchez did not have time to dial up Jimmy Johns in the backfield, accept delivery, and eat half the sandwich before throwing down after down, Plax wouldn't have had the opportunity to make that grab.

If Sanchez did not have time to dial up Jimmy Johns in the backfield, accept delivery, and eat half the sandwich before throwing down after down, Plax wouldn't have had the opportunity to make that grab.

All good points about the game but the thing is this team is 1 to 3 players away from being 8-3... imagine this team with a pass rush!

I think Nix is doing fine building this team. Do some of the coaches need to go? I think that might help. I am not sure.

Edited by PNW_Bills_Fan

This whole season got away from them after the first Jet loss. The players,the media and we the fans put so much into the game that when they lost it was a huge let down.

This lead to a flat team and a weak effort against the cowboys, that stuff happens to everyteam . Problem is the next week we have a center that can't snap the ball, fitz gets all messed up and as we know the if the d doesn't get turnovers fitz has to put up near 30

Good news is they seem to be back on track with a solid effort this week my prediction is they win 3 or the next 4 .

young team growing pains but hopefully lesson learned

This whole season got away from them after the first Jet loss. The players,the media and we the fans put so much into the game that when they lost it was a huge let down.

This lead to a flat team and a weak effort against the cowboys, that stuff happens to everyteam . Problem is the next week we have a center that can't snap the ball, fitz gets all messed up and as we know the if the d doesn't get turnovers fitz has to put up near 30

Good news is they seem to be back on track with a solid effort this week my prediction is they win 3 or the next 4 .

young team growing pains but hopefully lesson learned

Good post. Good perspective.

I agree they were in a funk after their "defining moment"… which is why you never place that much emphasis on any one game in the middle of the regular season.

A quote from Monday Morning Quarterback (Peter King)

I think that was the softest, weirdest, most unimpressive four-touchdown game that Mark Sanchez played Sunday that I'd seen in a while.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/27/week.12/index.html#ixzz1f3WB1Whf

I don't think terrible is even enough to describe it. Before the last 82 yard drive. Snatch-head was completing about 41% of his passes. 41 FREAKING PERCENT. That is god awful!!!

And yet George Edwards defense allowed 3 TDs with receivers that were WIDE OPEN. Unbelievable. The man needs to be let go. He is in way way over his head. He blitzes in all the wrong situations and generally doesn't put his players in a position to succed. Why couldn't have just taken that Florida job?

I don't think terrible is even enough to describe it. Before the last 82 yard drive. Snatch-head was completing about 41% of his passes. 41 FREAKING PERCENT. That is god awful!!!

And yet George Edwards defense allowed 3 TDs with receivers that were WIDE OPEN. Unbelievable. The man needs to be let go. He is in way way over his head. He blitzes in all the wrong situations and generally doesn't put his players in a position to succed. Why couldn't have just taken that Florida job?

He was unqualified to begin with so he obviously didn't get the job by the best resume. He's got some kind of nude picture of Ralph Wilson or he would have been fired already

+1 This

It goes beyond Wretched George though.

Bob Sanders, the Bill's OLB coach, got the boot as GB's DC after a disappointing 2008 season where the Defense was "soft" and gave up the lead too many times. GB went from 22nd in the league on D points (2008) to 7th in the league in D points (2009). He is responsible for developing OLB and as far as I can see, our developmental OLB have if anything regressed. FAIL.

Giff Smith, the Bills DL coach, had no NFL experience. He was Chan's buddy at Georgia Tech. He claims credit for the emergence of Kyle Williams last year, but doesn't say so much about his role on a D that was 28th in D points last year - if he gets credit for Kyle, does he get blame for that? How about this year?

HC's firing their coordinators in the middle of a rebuilding is not a good omen. Gregg Williams was able to hire Mike Sheppard, who was let go after a season, then went with Kevin Gilbride. On defense, he first had Jerry Gray, who was assisted for a season by Dick LeBeau, and held the DC job from 01-05 and worked for Mularkey as well.

And what do these choices of George Edwards, Giff Smith, Bob Sanders, et al say about the HC? I choose to believe they're not so much a reflection of Gailey's inability to hire solid coordinators, rather who will agree to work under current management. Wannstedt is supposed to have the magic pixie dust, but he's 4-3 coach, and it'll be interesting to see if they change defenses if he's hired, keep the 3-4 and go elsewhere for a DC (if Edwards is fired), or keep the current DC in hopes more talent will make the defense improve.

Whatever way they go, it's safe to say there'll be coaching changes only two years after this rebuild started. Other than coordinators moving on to be HC's, it's not good to have to change staff. This college coaching staff doesn't cut it, but it's not like they have much to work with either.