What IF the Bills go 7-9

San-O

They now officially have like 5 startersfrom last two drafts.

Sheppard A williams, Searcy. Hairtson Spiller Batten Carrington Moats Troup s Johnson White Roosevelt Aiken. Its the season of the Rookie for us and trial by fire is fine for me at this point. But wow we ARE very young on the field nowadays.

At one point, the 2006 draft appeared to have no less than 5 starters: Whitner, Simpson, Williams, Ellison, and Pennington. Those guys were pressed into service when players underperformed or were injured, and 5 years later, only Williams is still with the team and three are out of the NFL. From a team building perspective, this team has proven that they rely too heavily on rookies or 2nd year guys who aren't ready yet. This happens when a team strikes out in the draft for so many years and refuses to sign dependable depth in free agency.

For the record, Sheppard is playing over Davis and isn't an improvement. Aaron Williams is getting the nod with poor play from their CB's. Searcy is an injury substitution, same as Hairston. Spiller had 130 total touches in 24 career games, so his being called a starter now is weak. Batten and Moats play because Merriman predictably was hurt. Troup isn't starting anywhere and has been a huge disappointment. Carrington, even being a 5 tech isn't noticed much.

Aside from Dareus, there isn't one young player who looks to be a long term starter. That may change, but if this team continues to depend on rookies all over the field, the result will be the same.

Side note: The Bills have to dump this rely on building through the draft philosophy. Free agents will bring leadership, quality and depth (see Barnett), they just have to convince players to sign here.

Just got off the horn with Andy Reid. He tells me he's not a big fan of this philosophy. :doh:

At one point, the 2006 draft appeared to have no less than 5 starters: Whitner, Simpson, Williams, Ellison, and Pennington. Those guys were pressed into service when players underperformed or were injured, and 5 years later, only Williams is still with the team and three are out of the NFL. From a team building perspective, this team has proven that they rely too heavily on rookies or 2nd year guys who aren't ready yet. This happens when a team strikes out in the draft for so many years and refuses to sign dependable depth in free agency.

For the record, Sheppard is playing over Davis and isn't an improvement. Aaron Williams is getting the nod with poor play from their CB's. Searcy is an injury substitution, same as Hairston. Spiller had 130 total touches in 24 career games, so his being called a starter now is weak. Batten and Moats play because Merriman predictably was hurt. Troup isn't starting anywhere and has been a huge disappointment. Carrington, even being a 5 tech isn't noticed much.

Aside from Dareus, there isn't one young player who looks to be a long term starter. That may change, but if this team continues to depend on rookies all over the field, the result will be the same.

Oh. long term starter! My point was we are decimated and without a lock out some of the guys playing most snaps are nearly rookies. Sorry i played very loose with the wording and sarcastic too.

Sheppard was injured williams was injured searcy was injured batten and Moats were injured troup also injured Carrington injured.

These guys have had very little playing time, in general over the last year or two. Spiller too has few gametime snaps. Maybe my small point is that we Are depending on rookies for better or worse. But if they are to become the future of the team if not starters than decent depth now is the time. Just too soon for these kids. i realize only one fellow stepped in and up started and has been on the field since day one. M. D. So we got one first round pick pretty right!

I swear to god if the Bills end the season 7-9 I will be utterly not surprised, be jealous of the competant orginizations that made the playoffs, look forward to the draft, hate our selection, vow not to purchase the NFL Ticket, get caught up in pre seaon hype, buy the ticket, then regret it and hate myself by week 6, then repeat.

I swear to god if the Bills end the season 7-9 I will be utterly not surprised, be jealous of the competant orginizations that made the playoffs, look forward to the draft, hate our selection, vow not to purchase the NFL Ticket, get caught up in pre seaon hype, buy the ticket, then regret it and hate myself by week 6, then repeat.

:lol: been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Go Yankees!