What IF the Bills go 7-9

San-O

What then? Is this improvement? Will Nix/Gailey claim improvement?

Does George Edwards get canned? How can they possibly keep him?

Questions and more questions?

I think they take a QB in the 2012 draft if possible, and just draft BAP, all the way.

:unsure:

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Right. Packers had like 16 or 18 guys IR'd last year and won the Super Bowl.

I am going to list guys I don't think will be back, are done, and injured and won't return.

Looking at the depth chart it's not good.

o Shawne Merriman experiment: Done. No thanks.

o Terrence McGee: Injured again, too old, can't stay on field: Done. Thank you.

o Marcus Easley: Done. Hope he gets well.

o MvLuvin: Done. Just done. PLEASE.

That's two DB at least. Hard to believe the mess in 2ndary even WITH all the DBs selected by Levy/Jauron.

:blink:

7-9 is an improvement over last year but still not good enough. It should result in a number of players being released as well as coaches. Edwards being first on the list. Wannstadt was hired as the obvious successor to Edwards and possibly Gailey.

An offensive co-ordinator with play calling ability is also necessarry. Gailey is too locked into his particular scheme and unwilling to change.

IMO I think we would be fortunate to get to 7-9. I can see us losing the remaining games. If that were to happen there may be even more changes.

7-9 is better than I expected when season started so I'll take it. Granted starting 3-0 got my hopes up but I'm a pessimist so a collapse doesn't surprise especially with key injuries and lack of depth. Losing record gives Bills a better draft pick (not that it's going to be guaranteed) to addresses the Bills biggest needs (Pass rusher, OLB (nice to get both in one pick), shut down CB or #1 WR). No QB needed in first round, Fitz is adequate.

The D has been the biggest disappointing aspect of the Bills this year IMO. Unless the Bills win out or the D moves up in ranking to #20 or better overall, Edwards has to go.

Side note: The Bills have to dump this rely on building through the draft philosophy. Free agents will bring leadership, quality and depth (see Barnett), they just have to convince players to sign here.

Edited by MotownBillsFan

7-9 is better than I expected when season started so I'll take it. Granted starting 3-0 got my hopes up but I'm a pessimist so a collapse doesn't surprise especially with key injuries and lack of depth. Losing record gives Bills a better draft pick (not that it's going to be guaranteed) to addresses the Bills biggest needs (Pass rusher, OLB (nice to get both in one pick), shut down CB or #1 WR). No QB needed in first round, Fitz is adequate. Unless the Bills win out or the D moves up in ranking to #20 or better overall, Edwards has to go.

Side note: The Bills have to dump this rely on building through the draft philosophy. Free agents will bring leadership, quality and depth (see Barnett), they just have to convince players to sign here.

7-9 is better than I expected when season started so I'll take it. Granted starting 3-0 got my hopes up but I'm a pessimist so a collapse doesn't surprise especially with key injuries and lack of depth. Losing record gives Bills a better draft pick (not that it's going to be guaranteed) to addresses the Bills biggest needs (Pass rusher, OLB (nice to get both in one pick), shut down CB or #1 WR). No QB needed in first round, Fitz is adequate.

The D has been the biggest disappointing aspect of the Bills this year IMO. Unless the Bills win out or the D moves up in ranking to #20 or better overall, Edwards has to go.

Pro football is the ultimate team sport. Every player on everyplay must do their assignments correctly or negetive results could occur. Teams like Greenbay/Pittsburg(very successful small market teams) seem to have established a way of doing "business" that works for them and they don't deviate from it. They "grow" their own players, bring in very few freeagents and keep their core players. Of course both have found hall of fame QBs and that helps alot. Buffalo seems to be adopting the Greenbay/Pittsburg plan. I hope they stick with it. Its not the plan thats not working out for Buffalo,its their execution of the plan. Bad evaluations/bad drafts/bad results. Maybe if Buffalo could find hall of fame QB it might speed up process too.

Pro football is the ultimate team sport. Every player on everyplay must do their assignments correctly or negetive results could occur. Teams like Greenbay/Pittsburg(very successful small market teams) seem to have established a way of doing "business" that works for them and they don't deviate from it. They "grow" their own players, bring in very few freeagents and keep their core players. Of course both have found hall of fame QBs and that helps alot. Buffalo seems to be adopting the Greenbay/Pittsburg plan. I hope they stick with it. Its not the plan thats not working out for Buffalo,its their execution of the plan. Bad evaluations/bad drafts/bad results. Maybe if Buffalo could find hall of fame QB it might speed up process too.

They've got 1 starter out of the last two drafts. Dareus, who was a top 3 pick.

To answer one of the OP's questions, George Edwards' employment status should have nothing to do with the team's record at the end of the season.

Fair enough. What would then?

Bottom tier D two years in a row?

Fair enough. What would then?

Bottom tier D two years in a row?

Yep.

The merits of having a team improve from 4-12 to 7-9 (hypothetically) are self evident, but to improve further is to tinker with the formula until you get it right.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

What then? Is this improvement? Will Nix/Gailey claim improvement?

Does George Edwards get canned? How can they possibly keep him?

Questions and more questions?

I think they take a QB in the 2012 draft if possible, and just draft BAP, all the way.

:unsure:

How could they have kept Edwards after last season's defensive hurl fest? Especially when they signed Wannstedt? I think it's 50/50 they do the same damn thing with Edwards they did with him last year. It seems to take the FO an average of 3 years of wretched performance to get it through their ancient craniums that someone on the coaching staff needs to be fired.

What's funny is you picking out three more games the Bills will win this season.

I'm looking over the schedule and wondering the same thing.

They've got 1 starter out of the last two drafts. Dareus, who was a top 3 pick.

They now officially have like 5 startersfrom last two drafts.

Sheppard A williams, Searcy. Hairtson Spiller Batten Carrington Moats Troup s Johnson White Roosevelt Aiken. Its the season of the Rookie for us and trial by fire is fine for me at this point. But wow we ARE very young on the field nowadays.

7-9 is where I thought the Bills were going to be anyway. But we were 4-12 last season. That's actually a 3 game improvement from the previous season. Lets hope we can get a few more wins and see some development out of young players down the stretch. The team is just riddled with injuries and still managing to build a 3 win improvement despite that? There has to be some progress right?

Yep.

The merits of having a team improve from 4-12 to 7-9 (hypothetically) are self evident, but to improve further is to tinker with the formula until you get it right.

Disagree, Sage. To start off 5-2 and finish 2-7 is not self evident improvement.

Edited by Mr. WEO