This Thanksgiving... Im thankful for the Buffalo Bills

ThurmasThoman

Los Angeles. San Antonio. San Jose. Austin. Columbus. Fort Worth. El Paso. Nashville. Louisville. Portland. Los Vegas. Oklahoma City. Albuquerque. Tuscon. Fresno. Sacramento. Long Beach. Mesa. Virginia Beach. Colorado Springs. Omaha. Raleigh. Tulsa. Wichita. Bakersfield. Honolulu. Anaheim. Aurora. Santa Ana. Corpus Christi. Riverside. Lexington. Anchorage. Stockton. Toledo. Saint Paul. Greensboro.

All American cities with a greater population than Buffalo, New York.

I'm sure you can pick 10 cities on that list that could support an NFL team. That would have fans show up every Sunday to cheer on their squad.

And we, the fans of the Bills, have had the privilege to watch our team represent our city for 52 years.

52 years!

In that time, in the NFL:

The Chicago Cardinals moved to St. Louis.

The Los Angeles Chargers moved to San Diego.

The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City.

The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles.

The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis.

The St. Louis Cardinals, already moved from Chicago, left for Phoenix Arizona.

The Los Angeles Raiders moved back to Oakland.

The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore.

The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee.

And through it all, every Sunday, the Bills have taken the field to represent Buffalo New York - the 70th largest city in America.

We're free falling out of wild card contention. We're injured, to the point of it being more saddening than frustrating. I feel bad for the guys - they were the media darlings, now, they're just lovable losers again.

But we're still the Buffalo Bills. And this April, we still have a draft to watch, and a new schedule to start analyzing and predicting our record. And there will always be optimism in August, from even the most jaded fans. And for another year, we'll have the Buffalo Bills to argue about on here, and to watch with our friends and families on Sunday. And yeah, we're still losers, but it'll still be fun. Just like it was this year, and these last 12 years we haven't made the playoffs. It's always been fun.

So, try to enjoy the last 6 weeks of the season. Who knows, maybe this is the miracle year of all miracle years. Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle for the next 10 games and win the Super Bowl.

But even if we don't, I'm thankful that we all have this team to represent our city, and be passionate about.

Los Angeles. San Antonio. San Jose. Austin. Columbus. Fort Worth. El Paso. Nashville. Louisville. Portland. Los Vegas. Oklahoma City. Albuquerque. Tuscon. Fresno. Sacramento. Long Beach. Mesa. Virginia Beach. Colorado Springs. Omaha. Raleigh. Tulsa. Wichita. Bakersfield. Honolulu. Anaheim. Aurora. Santa Ana. Corpus Christi. Riverside. Lexington. Anchorage. Stockton. Toledo. Saint Paul. Greensboro.

I'm sure you can pick 10 cities on that list that could support an NFL team. That would have fans show up every Sunday to cheer on their squad.

And we, the fans of the Bills, have had the privilege to watch our team represent our city for 52 years.

52 years!

And through it all, every Sunday, the Bills have taken the field to represent Buffalo New York - the 70th largest city in America.

We're free falling out of wild card contention. We're injured, to the point of it being more saddening than frustrating. I feel bad for the guys - they were the media darlings, now, they're just lovable losers again.

But we're still the Buffalo Bills. And this April, we still have a draft to watch, and a new schedule to start analyzing and predicting our record. And there will always be optimism in August, from even the most jaded fans. And for another year, we'll have the Buffalo Bills to argue about on here, and to watch with our friends and families on Sunday. And yeah, we're still losers, but it'll still be fun. Just like it was this year, and these last 12 years we haven't made the playoffs. It's always been fun.

So, try to enjoy the last 6 weeks of the season. Who knows, maybe this is the miracle year of all miracle years. Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle for the next 10 games and win the Super Bowl.

But even if we don't, I'm thankful that we all have this team to represent our city, and be passionate about.

So is this another post of "It doesn't matter if we suck year after year, we still have the Bills in Buffalo?" I agree we are more fortunate then some cities, although with the torture the Bills put us through season after season, some might wonder if that is accurate. Kinda sad when the most exciting part of the season for you team is the draft, then to watch them screw that up too, is depressing. I like your optimism, but I guess some of us are more realists then optimists, and prefer to call a turd a turd. I will be more thankful when we have new ownership, and if that means it takes them leaving Buffalo to go to Toronto or wherever to produce a winner, then so be it, because of being a competitive person, losing sucks ass, and I can't convince my self that just having a team, a terrible team, is a great thing and I should be more then satisfied.

Edited by billsfreak

52 years!

The past 12 years have been fun?? More like miserable for the rest of us watching this joke of a Franchise.

Way to check your sources, bud. I grew up in Toledo and live outside of Gboro now...if you count city alone then you have a point, but that doesn't represent what a city beholds.

Jville is larger then most every other NFL city and they are about to lose a team - plus they have the most land for a stadium.

Urban pop:

Toledo: 503k

Greensboro: 725k

Buffalo: 1.2 million.

Edited by jboyst62

Ralph has had a handful of great years as an owner which have been overwhelmed by the number of bad, small ball low dollar years, but the one thing that remains true is he never relocated the team. It's a money maker, despite all the small market whining, so why should he?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think were gonna end up missing him when the team gets sold. Kelly's alleged partner sounds really creepy, highest birders can snatch the team away, I really want to be wrong but I got a baaaad feeling.

I like the OP's frame of mind. If Ralph has to die in order to make the team successful, that is a level for morbid thinking that makes me uncomfortable. If the team moves it won't make sense to call it the Bills anymore, and within about three years nobody on the team or on the coaching staff will have any connection with the old Buffalo team. If you want a winner and don't care if the team moves and changes its name, then why not start rooting for the Packers or whoever else is the best team for any given year? I am thankful that my "local" team is the Bills, and if they leave the area, then my "local" team will be the Jets. That would suck. GO BILLS!!!

I know that we can complain about Ralph Wilson, and him being cheap, and how bad we are and on and on.

That's not my point.

My point is, every Sunday during football season, no matter what, I wake up and the Bills are playing football.

It's like Christmas morning. It's too good to be true when CBS starts playing their intro song, the NFL shield pans across the screen, and it cuts to the Ralph. Bills in their home blues, and all is right in the world.

I still get excited for games. Ill tune in this weekend, and between 12:55pm and 1:05pm, all is right with the world, and I'll be giddy with optimism.

Ill be thinking, maybe we really will steal a wild card spot.

Then, yeah, of course we'll lose. Badly, at that. And ill be frustrated, and tell my wife we never need to watch a game again because theyll always be the buffalo bills and theyll always be bad.

But I am happy to have that team as a part of my life, and I am thankful that I get this experience.

Ralph isn't forcing any of us to be fans, I'm just thankful that he has given us the opportunity to do so!

I'm pretty sure Nashville has a team.... it's in Tennessee.. I think their team name is the titans or something...... maybe music city miracle will give you a hint.

Aren't things bad enough, you had to remind of us the last good team we had here, and how they got ripped off? Having the Bills is like having a car in your driveway that hasn't started in 12 years, but hey at least we still a car, the piece of junk that it is.

I know that we can complain about Ralph Wilson, and him being cheap, and how bad we are and on and on.

That's not my point.

My point is, every Sunday during football season, no matter what, I wake up and the Bills are playing football.

It's like Christmas morning. It's too good to be true when CBS starts playing their intro song, the NFL shield pans across the screen, and it cuts to the Ralph. Bills in their home blues, and all is right in the world.

I still get excited for games. Ill tune in this weekend, and between 12:55pm and 1:05pm, all is right with the world, and I'll be giddy with optimism.

Ill be thinking, maybe we really will steal a wild card spot.

Then, yeah, of course we'll lose. Badly, at that. And ill be frustrated, and tell my wife we never need to watch a game again because theyll always be the buffalo bills and theyll always be bad.

But I am happy to have that team as a part of my life, and I am thankful that I get this experience.

Ralph isn't forcing any of us to be fans, I'm just thankful that he has given us the opportunity to do so!

You forgot to say that the next week you will do it all again. Even if you are convinced that it doesn't matter anymore.

Speaking only for myself, the only reason why I follow this team is because they represent my home town. If/when that's no longer the case, I'm done. The fact that the team is a rallying point for Buffalo expatriots has to count for something.

How long did Houston people follow the Oilers when they moved to Tennessee? Probably not much. Just like Bills people won't care anymore if the Bills move and change their name. Unlike Houston, Buffalo will not get another team. I'm thankful for the Bills in Buffalo.