November Positional Needs

Astrobot

Are there any receivers who have a first round grade?

Or is this year like the James Hardy year (2008) where no receivers went in the first round?

The best second round receivers of 2008 so far are DeSean Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Eddie Royal, Jerome Simpson and Donnie Avery.

The second round busts are Devin Thomas, Hardy, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and Dexter Jackson.

The best third rounders (at least as good as the second rounders) are Earl Bennett, Early Doucet, Harry Douglas, and Mario Manningham.

I'm not hearing any wide receiver buzz from the college ranks this year so far.

You so forgot about the biggest steal from that draft: a little known wideout from Kentucky by the name of Stevie Johnson. It is debatable if he is the #1 receiver from that class.

For the 1st time in a long time......the lines do not seem to be the number 1 priority.....

Unless there is a shut down corner there when we pick I cannot think if any position we need more help at then outside linebacker......we actually need more then one as Kelsay is not the answer and Merriman is basically done in my eyes......we have NO legit outside linebackers....

Moates can rush the passer but gets pushed around.....Batten has been a dissapointment I thought he would be better then this......

We need outside linebacker monster types....a couple of them

You so forgot about the biggest steal from that draft: a little known wideout from Kentucky by the name of Stevie Johnson. It is debatable if he is the #1 receiver from that class.

I did forget about Stevie… but that's moot because I was talking about whether there were any WRs worth taking high in the draft… I specifically asked how many receivers have first round grades at this point.

Positional needs are important to establish but just as important or more is how much talent exists at each position.

Anyways this is a fun discussion but definitely a bit early.

I did forget about Stevie… but that's moot because I was talking about whether there were any WRs worth taking high in the draft… I specifically asked how many receivers have first round grades at this point.

Positional needs are important to establish but just as important or more is how much talent exists at each position.

Anyways this is a fun discussion but definitely a bit early.

Especially given the fact that we'll probably pick somewhere between 16-23, it's tough to figure out who will be available when we draft. The top 10 doesn't shift that much from now until the draft, but figuring out who will be drafted in the middle of the first round is completely unpredictable. That being said, I do think last year's draft was one of the three or four best in the last ten years, and I think the same will be true of the 2012 draft.

Here are the players who were drafted from 16-23 in 2011:

Washington Redskins Ryan Kerrigan DE

New England Patriots Nate Solder OT

San Diego Chargers Corey Liuget DT

New York Giants Prince Amukamara CB

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Adrian Clayborn DE

Cleveland Browns Phil Taylor DT

Indianapolis Colts Anthony Castonzo OT

Philadelphia Eagles Danny Watkins OG

Kerrigan, Solder, Clayborn, and Taylor have all had excellent rookie seasons. Liuget has struggled, and Watkins did, early on, but has improved. I don't know much about Castonzo and Amukamara has been injured.

50% of the players drafted in that range have been worth more than their draft slot, and I think the rest, with the exception of Liuget, will prove to be worth their draft slot. I think we can be fairly optimistic about whom we draft in the first round next year, especially when considering that next year's batch of strong players in the middle of the first round look to be at OLB, CB, and WR, positions that I'd use a first round pick on.

The reason why we couldnt stop the run against the jets had nothing to do with our down linemen....Darius was either stalemating or winning his battles with one of the best centers in the league......

No the problem was linebackers not getting off blocks and playing on the wrong side of the line of scrimage.....we could draft 1st round DT's all day and in a 3-4 alignment it still wont happen

To me there are two choices

- Scrap the 3-4 and play Darius and Williams alongside each other in a 4-3......then draft a pass rushing defensive end and use Kelsay at his natural position

or

- draft better outside linebackers.....have the 3 down linemen as Carrington, Darius, and Williams......and draft monster outside linebackers

The reason why we couldnt stop the run against the jets had nothing to do with our down linemen....Darius was either stalemating or winning his battles with one of the best centers in the league......

No the problem was linebackers not getting off blocks and playing on the wrong side of the line of scrimage.....we could draft 1st round DT's all day and in a 3-4 alignment it still wont happen

To me there are two choices

- Scrap the 3-4 and play Darius and Williams alongside each other in a 4-3......then draft a pass rushing defensive end and use Kelsay at his natural position

or

- draft better outside linebackers.....have the 3 down linemen as Carrington, Darius, and Williams......and draft monster outside linebackers

We seem to be committed to the 3-4 per Buddy. I've watched the steelers here for a long time and even with those linebackers it doesn't work without the anchor, and a high quality anchor at that. The ends are important also, don't get me wrong but the steelers run d doesn't seem to be the same with hampton not there or not playing well. If two dline can occupy four oline, lb's can get to the ball. I agree that we need a big upgrade at olb, but I just see the nt as a bigger need. Would have been nice to see troup there already, but he's in doubt as a contributor as far as I can tell.

Mcklovin has to go, period!!! Need an Orakpo type guy and of course we should go RB in the first. There should be a dynamic water bug type guy there some where in the first.

McKelvin is fine.....he can hold that spot down for years......we need a wr2 if Jones doesnt show us something over the next few weeks.........another pass rusher could never hurt

DraftTek's computer found a player for the Bills at OLB34, Courtney Upshaw. Upshaw wasn't all that during the LSU game, but he plays big, fast, and seals the edge well. He had a sack Saturday night, and Bleacher Report said Upshaw was the game's best player (which I think was Mathieu).

Round 1, Picks 1-16

Picks 17-32, including the Bills' pick

I think an RD#1 case could be made for another feature WR, a road-grader Tackle, and more CB help (could McGee have used press coverage more?)

Let's hear it. Has our thinking changed about needs after the Jets beatdown?

Astro

I`d have to say best pass-rushing 3-4 olb OR Best WIDE RECEIVER. Yeah I`m calling you out Stevie. I think he is a good # 2 . Time to nut up Stevie and put the Rap Shitz on hold.