Turkey Day meal planning ... what's your favorite side?

BuffaloBill

Let me make some corrections. You don't need to season every layer. That's why I toss all the ingredients in the bowl first to season them before I layer them. In a professional kitchen speed is everything and at home as well when you're preparing a big dinner. Second. Not 35% cream. 100% cream. That is the key. Nutmeg is ok be careful. It can really overpower the dish.

Sorry to make some changes in your tips but I gotta brag here. My gratin potatoes are the !@#$ing bomb. I used to love to peek out of the kitchen and watch people when they took the first bite. "What's in these things?" "Potatoes, garlic, cream, salt and pepper." "That's it? No way!"

Speed is nice but not the biggest priority in a professional kitchen. McDonalds, sure. People that like to be fast are often the ones that try to cut corners and often make mistakes. I'd take quality over speed anyday.

Either way you do it, you have to season the dish quite a bit. A pinch of salt won't do it. That's really my point.

What's 100% cream by the way? Don't know what you mean.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed is nice but not the biggest priority in a professional kitchen. McDonalds, sure. People that like to be fast are often the ones that try to cut corners and often make mistakes. I'd take quality over speed anyday.

Either way you do it, you have to season the dish quite a bit. A pinch of salt won't do it. That's really my point.

What's 100% cream by the way? Don't know what you mean.

Sorry, I thought you meant 35% as a portion of the cream. 35% cream 65% half and half?? But I see you meant use whipping cream.

Speed along with quality is always important in a profession kitchen. Prep time is limited and you can't sit there and do a layer, then season, layer, then season. You wouldn't last a day in a professional kitchen if you cooked that way. That was what I was good at. Speed and precision. I can bone, season and tie a leg of lamb quicker that it takes most to just get it out of the package.

It can work either way if you would last in a particular kitchen in the quality vs speed debate. But like you said you need both to be at the top of the game. As for taking the time to season each layer would depend on the strictness of the kitchen you are working in. I have worked in some kitchens where they would demand such attention to detail, other kitchens where details like that wouldn't matter.

The real problem I find with the "speedsters" in the kitchen is they try to do all things as fast as possible. Their mindset is getting food out as fast as possible. The problem lies in this mentality is where they try to cheat time when it is impossible to do so. My most common example for a line cook cutting corners is not letting meat rest, be it a steak, rack of lamb, pork tenderloin etc before they plate it. Minor things like that add up and bug the heck out of me.

It can work either way if you would last in a particular kitchen in the quality vs speed debate. But like you said you need both to be at the top of the game. As for taking the time to season each layer would depend on the strictness of the kitchen you are working in. I have worked in some kitchens where they would demand such attention to detail, other kitchens where details like that wouldn't matter.

The real problem I find with the "speedsters" in the kitchen is they try to do all things as fast as possible. Their mindset is getting food out as fast as possible. The problem lies in this mentality is where they try to cheat time when it is impossible to do so. My most common example for a line cook cutting corners is not letting meat rest, be it a steak, rack of lamb, pork tenderloin etc before they plate it. Minor things like that add up and bug the heck out of me.

I'm with you on the attention to detail but there is that and unnecessary obsession. In my mind no need to season each layer of the gratin if you properly season the cream when your tossing it with the potatoes. Each slice of potato is going to be coated with the seasoned cream. As you layer it in you pour more cream between each layer and pour the excess over the top.

And I don't blame the line cook for not letting meat rest before slicing. I blame the chef for not properly training his cooks and not monitoring their performance.

Let me make some corrections. You don't need to season every layer. That's why I toss all the ingredients in the bowl first to season them before I layer them. In a professional kitchen speed is everything and at home as well when you're preparing a big dinner. Second. Not 35% cream. 100% cream. That is the key. Nutmeg is ok be careful. It can really overpower the dish.

Sorry to make some changes in your tips but I gotta brag here. My gratin potatoes are the !@#$ing bomb. I used to love to peek out of the kitchen and watch people when they took the first bite. "What's in these things?" "Potatoes, garlic, cream, salt and pepper." "That's it? No way!"

What kind of potatoes?

I'm with you on the attention to detail but there is that and unnecessary obsession. In my mind no need to season each layer of the gratin if you properly season the cream when your tossing it with the potatoes. Each slice of potato is going to be coated with the seasoned cream. As you layer it in you pour more cream between each layer and pour the excess over the top.

And I don't blame the line cook for not letting meat rest before slicing. I blame the chef for not properly training his cooks and not monitoring their performance.

The problem with just seasoning the dairy mixture is that you have to overseason it to the point of over salty because if you don't the final product will be bland, so its tougher to judge the correct amount when you are up to that threshold. If you just season the dairy mixture to the point where it tastes like you normally eat your food, you are going to end up with a tasteless product. Layering is more consistent and allows you to better gauge the seasoning.

That's one thing about the restaurant business is consistency and your method allows for more variation which is a bad thing especially if one day one person makes it and different person another.

The problem with just seasoning the dairy mixture is that you have to overseason it to the point of over salty because if you don't the final product will be bland, so its tougher to judge the correct amount when you are up to that threshold. If you just season the dairy mixture to the point where it tastes like you normally eat your food, you are going to end up with a tasteless product. Layering is more consistent and allows you to better gauge the seasoning.

That's one thing about the restaurant business is consistency and your method allows for more variation which is a bad thing especially if one day one person makes it and different person another.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but his seems way more consistent and quicker....

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but his seems way more consistent and quicker....

Anytime you cut steps it will be quicker. If you rely just on seasoning the dairy mixture you will not end up with a good final product unless you are careful. Usually what will happen is that you will end up lacking correct seasoning - on the bland side. What most people don't understand is that you if are going that route you really have to over season that mixture because the potatoes will need it.

The layering way you can judge the correct amount of season more easily and consistently. This way is actually standard procedure for any gratin recipe.

Anytime you cut steps it will be quicker. If you rely just on seasoning the dairy mixture you will not end up with a good final product unless you are careful. Usually what will happen is that you will end up lacking correct seasoning - on the bland side. What most people don't understand is that you if are going that route you really have to over season that mixture because the potatoes will need it.

The layering way you can judge the correct amount of season more easily and consistently. This way is actually standard procedure for any gratin recipe.

So you're saying that by seasoning each layer (and with thinly sliced potatoes there will be dozens)individually you reduce the chance of over/under-seasoning versus seasoning the whole cream mixture to the proper flavor? Ok Chef whatever you say.

BTW don't get in a culinary whits match with me....you'll lose.

Edited by Chef Jim

Russets.

See, now you got me thinking about a leg of lamb for dinner tonight..all so I can try these damn taters :wallbash: . I have never, and I mean never, done leg of lamb at home. Racks, all the time..but never leg.

If I recall, you are an Egger as well, if you do the lamb on the Egg would love to hear how you do it. Crisp fall weather,important Bills game, and the Egg..perfect marriage

I know its weird, but my family always had crackers and cheese as one of the apps to the meal, and I always use some of the cheese to make little turkey sandwhiches with the dinner rolls when the turkey comes out....sooo delicious topped with a little gravy

I know its weird, but my family always had crackers and cheese as one of the apps to the meal, and I always use some of the cheese to make little turkey sandwhiches with the dinner rolls when the turkey comes out....sooo delicious topped with a little gravy

your right...that is weird :D

LOL. That is exactly what I did with the prime rib we had last night before it reached the table. Didn't have cheese handy at the time but buttered the roll, cut a small piece of prime rib off and then dipped the sandwich into the au jus that I was making from the "fond" that was left on the roasting pan.

I do that as well with the left over rolls and turkey from thanksgiving.

See, now you got me thinking about a leg of lamb for dinner tonight..all so I can try these damn taters :wallbash: . I have never, and I mean never, done leg of lamb at home. Racks, all the time..but never leg.

If I recall, you are an Egger as well, if you do the lamb on the Egg would love to hear how you do it. Crisp fall weather,important Bills game, and the Egg..perfect marriage

I've not done a leg of lamb on the BGE. But that's a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not done a leg of lamb on the BGE. But that's a good idea.

So, finally got around to doing the leg of lamb on the grill and this gratin on Sunday. I added some fennel in with the dish, and it turned out great. The lamb on OTOH sucked. I somehow overcooked it on the Egg..and medium lamb is as useful as boobies on a bull. Don't get it as my temp gauge said 140 when i pulled it off, but after resting was just past medium. My wife and kids liked it(or at least they are liers), i wa spissed a $35 piece of meat was destroyed.

So, finally got around to doing the leg of lamb on the grill and this gratin on Sunday. I added some fennel in with the dish, and it turned out great. The lamb on OTOH sucked. I somehow overcooked it on the Egg..and medium lamb is as useful as boobies on a bull. Don't get it as my temp gauge said 140 when i pulled it off, but after resting was just past medium. My wife and kids liked it(or at least they are liers), i wa spissed a $35 piece of meat was destroyed.

I usually pulled the leg of lamb off the heat when it reached 120. You'd still get some rare in the middle. But what I preferred was to stick a metal skewer in the meat for a bit and put it to my lip. I trust my lip over a thermometer.

You used my gratin recipe and put fennel in it?? :censored::cry::doh::D

Edited by Chef Jim